Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where the other end of the car market is taking the asking price...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where the other end of the car market is taking the asking price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Fiat-J...QAAOSwYGNf3AXN

I had a '60 Fiat 600 Multipla which itself brought good money. But this slow, wheezy, identical engineering-twin with the crazy Ghia body has always been in the loonysphere for price.

Amazing where these have ended up, but this over-restored Jolly with the cringe-worthy Betty Boop shift knob is asking for 2x what it should be bringing.

There is a big difference between "asking" and "selling"
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

What HE said ^^^^^^

Comment

What Dick said.

Plus, there is a "make offer" button on the eBay ad. The guy is starting high, looking for the most he can get. I can't blame him.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
          There is a big difference between "asking" and "selling"
          True but a couple of those Jolly's have gone through Wayne Carini's hands for crazy money.

This article is a bit dated (2018) but they brought strong money back then.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying...-jollys-pricy/

Bob

Comment

Full agreement, and part of my motivation for posting originally, in that it's funny what human buyers see as attractive, worthy, etc.

Its just odd that even the best, rarest Studebaker that we pour our time and care and money into won't crack into the atmosphere of a 20 HP goofball with a fringed canvas top . We are diverse and odd species when it comes to machines that move us.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
              it's funny what human buyers see as attractive, worthy, etc.

Its just odd that even the best, rarest Studebaker that we pour our time and care and money into won't crack into the atmosphere of a 20 HP goofball with a fringed canvas top . We are diverse and odd species when it comes to machines that move us.
              You said it all. On the bright side, the frumpy rep Studebakers have helps keep them affordable on a lower budget. That and their quirkiness is what brought me to them originally.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

IMO, we are our own worst enemy. If Stude owners do not place a high value on the cars, how can we expect any one else to.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                  IMO, we are our own worst enemy. If Stude owners do not place a high value on the cars, how can we expect any one else to.
                  Again, that's not how it works at all. As always, the market is what drives prices- always. It makes no difference what you or I think, or even what a club thinks.

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

What we CASOs sometimes forget is there are millions of millionaires, thousands of billionaires. To the monied, the ant-shite cost of one of these toys is inconsequential. They don't even have to consider "worth", just "That's cute! I'll take it."

FWIW, I helped a rich friend find a near-perfect restored early VW bug. After driving it a couple of times, it's become a lawn ornament at his Palm Springs estate parties. "I remembered it as being a lot more fun when I was sixteen."

Another nutso hot auction vehicle is the VW 23-window Combi/Samba/MIcrobus. To anyone who's ever driven one, they're terrible; slow, noisy, vulnerable to side winds, rust-prone and fatal in any front end collision. They're bringing insane money these days.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Agree with "all the above."

This was further validated several years ago at the Lambrecht Chevrolet auction in Nebraska. Insane money for some of the cars, several of which I suspect were purchased so the buyer could say, "I have one the Lambrecht Chevrolet cars."

It's not only cars and trucks. Here's a report from a long-time friend who attended that Mecum-run Muscle Car Museum auction in Punta Gorda(?) Florida a week after the big Mecum Kissimmee auction last month. My friend [non-Studebaker and a knowledgeable "smalls" collector, BTW] tendered this report on some of the collectibles sold as part of that museum auction:
                      Prices are absolutely nuts, everything is going for two and three times the money I think it should bring, and the memorabilia is going off the mark. Do you know what a Schwinn Banana Bike is like? He [the museum owner] had a full set of new, reproduction Banana Bikes, the Orange Crate, the Apple Crate, the Lemon Peeler and all the rest, which regularly SELL new for $400 each. These brought between $4500 and $11,500 apiece!

BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

And I sold my unrestored Schwinn Apple Crate 10 years ago at the Iola WI car show for $400 and was amazed that the buyer was very happy with the sell price.

I am still happy with what I got for the bike....so we were both satisfied and that is what counts when the pricing takes a market swing to the moon. Timing and luck are still big players for the 'what - if's of the buyer / seller world.

And that is part of what makes collecting fun. If you can't have fun (or recognize it when you have the chance) maybe you are missing out on 1/2 the fun.

Also for reference my wife thinks my car hobby is ' nuts' and she is a psychotherapist.....folks pay for her opinion.....I get way to much of it for free!

Comment

Dave,

I understand and agree to a point. But in the world that most interests me in the hobby and Studebaker I couldn't disagree more. You guys are just dealing in cars in the wrong half of the twentieth century. There's a big world out there ready to be explored. It's really unfortunate that with Studebaker's 114 year history, so many owners focus on the last twenty.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            What we CASOs sometimes forget is there are millions of millionaires, thousands of billionaires. To the monied, the ant-shite cost of one of these toys is inconsequential. They don't even have to consider "worth", just "That's cute! I'll take it."

FWIW, I helped a rich friend find a near-perfect restored early VW bug. After driving it a couple of times, it's become a lawn ornament at his Palm Springs estate parties. "I remembered it as being a lot more fun when I was sixteen."

Another nutso hot auction vehicle is the VW 23-window Combi/Samba/MIcrobus. To anyone who's ever driven one, they're terrible; slow, noisy, vulnerable to side winds, rust-prone and fatal in any front end collision. They're bringing insane money these days.

jack vines
                            Here is a car we should be all familiar with:1956 Packard Caribbean | eBay

Looking at the "asking" price I guess this falls into Jack's thought. If I had the money, I would get that car and have a chauffeur drive me around at 10 mph so I could throw beads at the adoring crowds and every day could be Marti Gras. On second thought, I would drive it occasionally just to keep the battery up and the oil fresh.

Who am I kidding, these out of sight cars are only used to trade hands for bragging rights.

Bob Miles

Comment

i can't even make that price come out right by changing the decimal point on the eBay Packard!

Comment

Working...
                              X