Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What bizarre motor swaps have you ever performed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buick 231 V-6 (odd fire) with a wild camshaft into a 70 Datsun 521 truck. Took forever to wind up to 6000 rpm with 3.25 gears in the diff and a stock converter in the turbo 350 but sounded so cool at that speed with open headers. Right now helping my daughter's boyfriend with a Cummins 12 valve into a 52 Fargo 1 ton but nothing is happening because we are in Covid lockdown. It's his first of hopefully many engine swaps. cheers, junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
      After reading through Steve's SBC to GT Hawk swap post, I decided to see what other crazies there were out there and what did they create?
      Personally my craziest was a big block Oldsmobile W30 455 into a 1969 Chev Suburban 4x4. No it initially was a pretty poor fit but 23 times in/out did the trick. I even adapted it to the GM Saginaw truck 4 speed. The repercussions were enormous as that 500+ lbs of torque eventually broke numerous axles, differentials, twisted the frame etc.
      Bill
      Too funny...in high school my friends brother installed an Olds 455 into a 69 Chevy shortbox. We lived in a smallish town...you could always locate Kevin's brother by just looking for the tire-smoke cloud. Cheers, Junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

This guy put a v8 in a tesla.

You tube chanel RICHREBUILDS
        https://youtu.be/nSa3DabasKY
        Lennart...
        -63 Avanti R1
        -61 Champ 6E5 122\"
        -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112\"
        -58 Golden Hawk

Comment

Not me but a friend... In the moped days we happend to walk by his dads garage a friday night on the way to a party & he was pulling the engine of his little moped & said he was gonna put the engine from his brothers yamaha 350cc in that poor 50cc mopeds frame... We were gone the whole night & 12 hours later, at 8 in the morning we were walking back & he had done it!
          "Look, I've tried it, it goes like a rocket! I'll show you..."
          The trick was to push it & then while it roled put it in 2:nd gear because the moped was a type that had a frame that also was the tank & you don't want it to fold up... So of he went over to the intersection & turned left, going by us & the garage on a looong straight... & then he came back, it really screemed!!!
          So back at the garage with us he was
          SO happy with his hair standing up-backwards...
          The thing is that just across the road was the big(!) police station... & sure enough; here they came! One cop said he wanted to try it "to see if it was hot tuned"... & he didn't care what our friend said, he started it, put it in 1:st gear. let go the clutch &... Yep; gasoline all over the ground!
          "Take of the engine, & bring it over to the station" was their comment.
          Short time fun.
          sigpic

Josephine
          Champion V8
          4d sedan

Comment

My '53 has a Ford 3.8 V6 (yes I know that engine has a reputation as a POS)... So, probably the "only one there is, and will ever be".

There was a late 40s or early 50s International pickup at a show once that had a Jag V12 in it.

There used to be a poster hear who put a Japan market hi-po drivetrain and chassis swap under a late 40's champion convertible. I forget the details now. It was quite the project and extremely well done.

Jeff in ND

Comment

1964 Chev 194 ci in 6 cyl with power glide into a 1942 Allis-Chalmers 6000 lb (bright orange painted ) fork lift truck. You don't want to know the back story but the bones for the last 20 years are doing wood splitter duty in the Upper Peninsula.

Runner up ; 903 T Cummins with Allison auto trans, 2 speed Clark planetary differential rear end, into 3 wheel agriculture fertilizer spreader with a 6,000 gal. stainless steel tank and remote spreader booms.

Also ran's ; 42 foot Carver yacht and a Mississippi push boat.......both of which I SUNK ! But the engines ran great.

Comment

Ref ; post # 11

Want a Mallory Unilite (with manual tach. drive) and oil filled coil for it? I kept the Mallory parts from my 1972 Triumph / Buick 215 aluminum V-8 (with Muncie long ratio 66 GTO 4 speed trans.) that I did in spring 1977. Great little combination and very dependable (I used a 390 cfm Holley...which I also still have) it was my daily driver for 7 years. Tin Worms like Triumph's BETTER than Studebaker's. You could hear them dinning on metal two blocks away.

Comment

Back a few a buddy of mine shoe horned a 283 sbc into an Austen Healy Sprite. Went like a scalded dog in a straight line and you had better leave a looo..g distance to stop the thing. I had a stock Bugeye at the time and they always had a lot of over steer but this thing was a definite danger to anybody that was crazy to go around almost any corner.
                  Don Watson
                  61 Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
                    Ref ; post # 11

Want a Mallory Unilite (with manual tach. drive) and oil filled coil for it? I kept the Mallory parts from my 1972 Triumph / Buick 215 aluminum V-8 (with Muncie long ratio 66 GTO 4 speed trans.) that I did in spring 1977. Great little combination and very dependable (I used a 390 cfm Holley...which I also still have) it was my daily driver for 7 years. Tin Worms like Triumph's BETTER than Studebaker's. You could hear them dinning on metal two blocks away.
                    Sherm,
                    Originally a TR6? The TR8 used that same aluminum motor I think. But that was a very different chassis. I've got a 500 Edelbrock on my yellow car. A little over carbed, but I jetted it down some and with the vacuum to bring in the secondaries at the right time it seems to do OK. If you want to pedal those Buick parts, try the MG Experience forum...but some old parts are worth keeping around just to look at every now and then.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

My weirdest swap is the Mercedes 300D turbo motor and five speed manual od transmission in my 39 CE. Most people say nice things when they see it but one fellow stopped talking to me abruptly and walked away when I told him.

Oh well, I like it.
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Ref ; post # 24

Thanks for the 'site tip', I'll check it out. There several fellow's in the local area that are sniffing around about the parts. Yup, it was a 1972 TR-6.....I had a TR-8 before the factory (maybe they had a prototype in testing). The old gal dropped a valve while driving past the salt flats in Utah on a 1977 west coast trip. We flat towed the TR (now 5...one cyl was missing) all the way back home to the Upper Peninsula. The steering rack was the biggest problem in the swap....if I got a do-over I would put my 292 Chev truck 6 with a turbo in and avoid the steering issue. But I surmise I would have just traded for a different problem I did not foresee. The big problem that I see is I have too many neat car project ideas with limited space and a dwindling life span.

Comment

Working...
                        X