Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What bizarre motor swaps have you ever performed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What bizarre motor swaps have you ever performed?

After reading through Steve's SBC to GT Hawk swap post, I decided to see what other crazies there were out there and what did they create?
    Personally my craziest was a big block Oldsmobile W30 455 into a 1969 Chev Suburban 4x4. No it initially was a pretty poor fit but 23 times in/out did the trick. I even adapted it to the GM Saginaw truck 4 speed. The repercussions were enormous as that 500+ lbs of torque eventually broke numerous axles, differentials, twisted the frame etc.
    Bill

455 Olds into a 74 Chevy Van, 401 Buick Nailhead into a 59 Chevy Pickup (2 wd), SBC into a 39 Ford Standard Coupe, 350SBC/700R4/Narrowed Chevy 8 3/4" rearend into a 53 K for starters.

Bob

Comment

How about the Studebaker Lark powered by a Porsche rear engine, on display in the Studebaker National Museum?
      Bill Jarvis

Comment

Really, in this day, there really isn't much in the way of bizarre anymore.

Engines in the front of rear engine cars, engines in the rear of front engine cars...old hat.
        Radial (single and two row combinations) plane engines in cars and trucks, been done.
        Merlin aircraft engines in cars, been done.
        Jet engines in cars (and bikes), been done.
        Even the freaken, Road Kill guys put two LS engines in an late model Impala (four wheel drive). Actually fairly nicely done at that.
        Car engines in bikes, dealers doing that.
        Bike engines in cars, done a long time ago, still done regularly.
        9000hp Hemi engines in 50's station wagons, been done.

So... what else could be considered bizarre today ?
        Not much left to do to be considered bizarre anymore. Unless maybe someone had a Merlin engine in his/her...daily driver, with 10,000 a year on the clock.

Mike

Comment

Back in highschool helped a friend put an oil burning Iron Duke 4 into a Triumph Spitfire.

Comment

12V Studebaker starter to a direct drive mini-bike.
            No clutch, no throttle, no switches.
            Jam the battery cable on and hold on.
            (Kudos to E.J. Potter)
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Our friend Alan will be along soon, as he's done some bizarre swaps into Studes and others.

My machinist formerly specialized in buying Chev/GMC trucks with bad engines and swapping in Buick V8s, as no one wanted the old Electra 225 with the 455"s.

The scariest one I ever did for someone else was a SBC, Muncie and narrowed 10-bolt and cheater slicks into an MG TD. Literally nothing on that car was strong enough. I made him sign a waiver that it was for display purposes only and should never be driven on the street. Of course, he drove it away with the front wheels in the air.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

As posted on that thread: 327 Chevy into a Cortina, same 327 then went into a 69 Cutlass, which gave up it's 350 to a 64 Cutlass with a rod knocking 330, then 307 2bbl went back into the Cortina all in one month while going to school and work.

Comment

This is not a bizarre one...in fact it is fairly common and relatively easy. 3.5 Aluminum Rover (same as a 215 Buick) and WC Camaro T5 into a 77 MGB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3280 copy.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1879470

Name:	22539368780_35f2971f73_o copy.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1879471

Name:	IMG_3378 copy.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1879472

The V8 is a much easier fit into a 77-80 MBG than an earlier car, but those late cars had ugly big rubber bumpers, 4 wheel drive looking ride height, and unattractive high back seats. I changed all that along with the engine and trans.

I drove this car over 2,000 miles from home to San Francisco and back.

It's a fun little hot rod and I still own it....which is pretty rare for me.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, brings back fond memories of my Datsun 510 2-door sedan with a Buick 215". I couldn't find a 4-speed and bellhousing, so kept the 2-speed automatic. Lowered, with BRE suspension, it was like a go-kart with a roof.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      Dick, brings back fond memories of my Datsun 510 2-door sedan with a Buick 215". I couldn't find a 4-speed and bellhousing, so kept the 2-speed automatic. Lowered, with BRE suspension, it was like a go-kart with a roof.

jack vines
                      I've got one of those Buick 215s with the little air cooled 2 speed auto "in inventory" just waiting for a project...

I'm thinking some version of a Track T ?...

Name:	Tribute-T-1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1879484

Name:	Tribute-T-2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1879485

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

And then there's the '68 Corvette T-top with the 170 Champion flathead that's been discussed here before.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....e-champion-170
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10,
                        '51 Commander Starlight,
                        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I don't know if it's weird or not.... But in high school (this had to be around 1973) I helped an auto shop classmate put a Buick Nailhead motor in a '57 Chevy 2 door, backed with a Lasalle transmission (3 on the tree). I think we put a radiator from an early 60's Caddy in it to keep it cool. Ran well, as I remember. The auto shop teacher was a hot rodder / farmer - and he approved. The bell housing / tranny adaptor came out of the JC Whitney catalog.
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

How about 392 Hemi in 56 Chev hardtop. Used Suburban front suspension, lots of frame mods and firewall alterations. Pontiac station wagon rear axle. Aluminum case Muncie rock crusher. Amazingly, the motor mount and trans adaptors were readily available. IIRC, they were Hurst.
                            78 Avanti RQB 2792
                            64 Avanti R1 R5408
                            63 Avanti R1 R4551
                            63 Avanti R1 R2281
                            62 GT Hawk V15949
                            56 GH 6032504
                            56 GH 6032588
                            55 Speedster 7160047
                            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Not bizzare, but...I bought a really nice '40 Pontiac 2dr sedan with a worn out Stock flathead six, about mid '80s ago. Installed a Pontiac OHC 6 w/its auto trans, and used a 49 Pontiac steering column with the automatic shift quadrant. THAT was one of the SWEETEST daily drivers that I ever owned. Kick myself for ever selling it...

Comment

Working...
                              X