This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
    Well. think it is about time for this issue to be put to bed because complaining does not solve the problem. It is what it is and we as forum embers should have better thing to do than continue wasting our time trying to resolve something that is way be beyond our ability. PLease find something else to discuss so someone does not just delete these threads which just might happen very soon.
    Gosh, Don...you have a rather unique perspective on this subject due to your involvement in working to see that our Turning Wheels gets published and delivered to the mailing services. I can understand that you are justifiably sensitive to underserved and misplaced criticism regarding the subject.

My intent was not to condemn the postal service outright but to point out the strangeness/absurdness of my particular experience. I made no false accusations, and have even acknowledged to the officials of the Postal Service that I know these are exceptional times. My main concern is that their procedural response was to compound the problem by sending the package on a costly and unnecessary multistate journey? If you had to call a tow truck to haul your broken down car two blocks, you wouldn't want the tow truck driver your hired to haul it all the way to Key West Florida, Atlanta, and St. Louis before dropping it off in your driveway?!

I appreciate your efforts within the SDC and you have enlightened me on the dedication and hard work our folks have made to keep things working and properly organized. It is an ongoing effort that is commendable. Your explanation of how once our staff delivers the publication for mailing, what happens from there is out of our hands. I think that has really improved our understanding and hopefully lessened the unfair criticism.

For me, I have refused to accept the unacceptable. I have persisted beyond the built-in system to keep complaints from getting to those who can get something done. I am not an unhappy person, and in many ways, I have found this experience to be funny...'cept for the little detail that these are items that involve sticking my skin and drawing blood. My thinking is that we need to complain when appropriate. But we need to do so with an intent to be constructive. We certainly shouldn't in any way form a circular firing squad against each other.

Truth is, I have Turning Wheels that go all the way back to 1975. They all made it here. Thanks to dedicated folks like you and the Turning Wheels staff and contributors. Also, thanks to the Postal Service who in spite of our complaints, manage to get it right most of the time. However, like mowing the lawn...it's the spot you miss that gets the attention!

OH...and I hope we don't ban this thread 'till tomorrow. That's when I'm supposed to get the package and I can report the outcome.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
      Well. think it is about time for this issue to be put to bed because complaining does not solve the problem. It is what it is and we as forum embers should have better thing to do than continue wasting our time trying to resolve something that is way be beyond our ability. PLease find something else to discuss so someone does not just delete these threads which just might happen very soon.
      Nobody is complaining. It’s a discussion of shared experiences, which is what a discussion forum is for. The lousy service from the USPS is something that affects everyone. Why not discuss it?
      Last edited by mbstude; 01-11-2021, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Hooray!!! The package arrived today! After getting shipped to within 10 miles of my home on December, 30...the wayward shipment traveled an extra (unnecessary) 1,474 miles and 11 more days delay to get here??? I know this is a strange period due to the virus, but shipping medical supplies all over the country for no good reason is unsanitary, unhelpful, risky for patients, and just plain stupid. I have involved postal inspectors, and might yet submit detailed written certified complaints to my elected officials.

I have joked about investing in an autoclave to clean packages I get through the mail? But the autoclaves I am familiar with use steam and the things I get can't be sanitized that way. However, my wife already has this covered. She has a supply of Sanitizing Spray purchased early on in the pandemic period.
        The package is scuffed and a bit dingy from being shipped around, but not crushed as some have been in the past. So, no recrimination toward any particular USPS employee, but these incidents should not be ignored. It is ignoring these things that cause them to become "normalized."

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Other than the delays we have all experienced over the last month or two, USPS is still the best carrier in my opinion. I have used them all many, many times. UPS, for example, has a track record of damaging the contents of 80-90% of the packages shipped or received. They are the absolute worst.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
            UPS, for example, has a track record of damaging the contents of 80-90% of the packages shipped or received. They are the absolute worst.
            That seems a bit exaggerated. I can’t imagine 90% of UPS’s packages being damaged.

And I’d suggest that the contents of a package being damaged in transit is due to improper packaging. A box has to packed to withstand being dropped and thrown around.

For example, I’ve lost count of the number of starter cores I’ve received where a used starter is simply thrown in a cardboard box with zero padding or support.

Comment

Sorry Matt. It's widely known that UPS throws the packages for sport, it seems. Don't take my word for it though. Check your internet for a bevy of videos. Anyway, it is true that the contents might have survived with an excess of padding. For UPS, I recommend a minimum of 12 inches all around. lol

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                Sorry Matt. It's widely known that UPS throws the packages for sport, it seems. Don't take my word for it though. Check your internet for a bevy of videos. Anyway, it is true that the contents might have survived with an excess of padding. For UPS, I recommend a minimum of 12 inches all around. lol
                My experience (not internet videos):

We ship anywhere between 250-400 packages a month via UPS. With that volume, we have had 2 damaged packages within the last 4 years.

One was a stainless trim moulding in a PVC tube. The tube got broken and the moulding bent.

The second was a bent corner on one of our repro gas tanks.

We have shipped well over 400 gas tanks with UPS since we first started selling them, and they have literally been sent all over the world. Only one was damaged. That’s not a bad average.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	mail.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1874703.........
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10,
                  '51 Commander Starlight,
                  '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                  '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I retired from the USPS on 12/31/2020 after serving 26 years as a Rural Mail Carrier, with 21 of them on the same route. It was a great job, and my customers were amazing. Many were like family. I had a lot of older folks on my route, including a Senior Retirement Community, and a Nursing Home. I felt that I was probably the LAST Mailman many of them would ever have, and I made it my mission to be the BEST they ever had. The outpouring of grattitude and well wishes I received my last few weeks of working assured me that I gave it my best. Sadly, the Postal Service is hurting, BADLY! I have never imagined things would be the way they currently are. I hope it can be fixed, but it may take a miracle. I feel your pain. Please be kind to your Carrier.
                    Jim Sinclair
                    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Well-said, Jim. Your experience was indeed, "The way things ought to be." BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse but there is a problem--Got this yesterday
                        Your Bank of America mail sent through the United States Postal Service may be delayed
                        We understand the United States Postal Service is experiencing delays. As a result, your Bank of America mail, including statements and year-end tax information, may also be delayed.
                        Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

I just got a packaged mailed on 12/27 in Albany NY. It arrived in San Diego on 1/12, with half the box torn open and the contents clearly visible from the outside. Dunno what happened between Albany and Los Angeles - no tracking data whatsoever for that 15-day period. In the back of a bob-tail White 20-footer travelling old US 66? A detour to New Orleans for shrimp 'n grits? Pony Express? Who knows? I'm just glad the contents miraculously escaped damage; filing an insurance claim is another special kind of heck

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Note that it does not seem that any of us have attacked or disparaged any particular USPS employee. But rather the hideous ungainly behemoth it can be when things go wrong. The very establishment of what I call "GATEKEEPER" communication practices to keep the end-users from talking to an actual person in a position to respond is a good sign that they want you to keep quiet and take it! The same goes for large organizations like the Social Security Administration, AT&T, APPLE, Google, your electrical power provider, your elected representatives, etc., etc.

Today, I just got an email requesting I take a survey regarding my USPS experience. You know it is not from them, but some survey company they are contracted with. The first thing they did in the email was to "Thank me for being a USPS customer!"(as if we have a choice?) Really??? The USPS is what I call one of "Life's Intersections!" There are intersections along life's journey in which we all participate. All of us, whether we want to or not, have a common USPS experience. We have all negotiated this intersection. Some occasional "fender benders" occur at this intersection. If it were all too common, then we wouldn't raise too much of a commotion due to it being so normal. This is the positive side of this discussion. It is at least uncommon enough so that when it does happen it turns out to be a big deal!

There are lots of fender benders at life's intersections we casually glance at and move on. But, when it happens to you...that's different!
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              Well-said, Jim. Your experience was indeed, "The way things ought to be." BP
                              Thanks Bob!
                              JS
                              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

My package, mailed from Winchester Tenn. on Dec 17, finally arrived today. tracking shows it left Albany NY on January 10th. It took 4 days to go the last 30 miles. On a good note it was in good shape when it finally arrived.
                                Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Working...
                                X