This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockne10
    But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize anything is better than nothing.
    Just wear a mask!
    You missed the point. If you are serious about using a mask to contain the virus, please use the appropriate mask. Wear, handle, and dispose of it properly.

Improvised cloth masks are a crap shoot at best.

You can buy non-certified surgical masks at Costco - 50 masks for about $12.

You can purchase certified surgical masks on Amazon, 50 masks for $26.50 and you can also purchase KN95 masks as well.

I am sure other retailers handle similar products.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I wear a mask each time I go outside of my yard or car. Be it a fast food place, a visit to curbside deliveries and more. I expect those I come in contact when I am out and about to also wear a mask. Some can claim all they want that masks do not work, but wearing a mask isn't that hard and studies do show that they work, but only if all of us wear one.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews
        Rationality says to not let ambiguity substitute for critical thinking.
        You can have some printed with your used car business on them!

Craig

Comment

I watched The Good Doctor the other night and he was complaining about the elastic straps hurting his ears. His girlfriend brought him a plastic monkey out of a barrel of monkeys game and told him to hook the elastic straps around the arms of the monkey to keep a lot of the pressure off his ears. I think that's got potential for those who wear that type of mask. I watched some of the baseball games this season and several of the coaches and players wore a buff which I prefer. I think they are less effective than some of the better masks but are sure a lot more comfortable.
          Charlie D.

Comment

I really like that little ditty. While he can't force the use, our Republican Governor, in his broadcasts, tells West Virginians to wear a mask.
            With our ages and infirmity we are quite comfortable wearing masks whenever we are out and around. Why make an issue of masks?
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Well... after eleven months, this is still timely. It's even a bigger deal now. Who'd a thunk it?
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I must admit, being fully vaccinated myself, I have become less uncomfortable in public, and no longer go out with a new disposable mask daily, nor disinfect my cloth masks after each use; but I still put them on when entering convenience stores, grocery stores, and especially Rural King.
                And THAT is probably less responsible than I should be.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Three immune compromised individuals live in my household. I never want to be put in the position of saying "I wish I had worn a mask."
                  How much do I love my family? Enough to wear a doily on my face if there is even one chance in a thousand that my doing so will spare them from sickness and suffering.

Comment

I checked at WalMart today. Says right on the box - "Will not protect you from Covid-19"...
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                      I checked at WalMart today. Says right on the box - "Will not protect you from Covid-19"...
                      That's just legalese to absolve the manufacturer of any liability.
                      Some masks are better than others. Even the best masks aren't 100% effective, nor if people refuse to wear them properly.
                      Still, anything, even a kerchief, is better than nothing.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

If you go deep enough in the CDC website, it clearly states that masks are only 2% effective at preventing the transmission of airborne viruses and bacteria. What does work is the 6 foot rule.

The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Regardless of any opinion of whether masks, social distancing, etc work, vaccinations are effective with little or no side effects. I do not understand why there is resistance. If you remember, we all lined up in grade school for a series of shots, small pox, TB test, and polio. I do not remember much resistance. During my years in the Corps, there was not much choice there either. I have a niece who is a practicing M.D. in CA. She is vaccinated, but her husband is not. He now has the virus and is very ill. I have been told he will not go to hospital. Hope he recovers. At least he is young.

Social Darwinism in play here.
                          78 Avanti RQB 2792
                          64 Avanti R1 R5408
                          63 Avanti R1 R4551
                          63 Avanti R1 R2281
                          62 GT Hawk V15949
                          56 GH 6032504
                          56 GH 6032588
                          55 Speedster 7160047
                          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                            If you go deep enough in the CDC website, it clearly states that masks are only 2% effective at preventing the transmission of airborne viruses and bacteria. What does work is the 6 foot rule.
                            This from the CDC web site on mask effectiveness

Science Brief: Community Use of Cloth Masks to Control the Spread of SARS-CoV-2

Some of the conclusions from the scientific studies...

1. Masking reduced risk of infection by 70%

2. Masking reduced risk of secondary infection by 79%

3. A 10% increase in mask wearing tripled the likelihood of stopping community transmission

4. Estimated weekly 24%-46% decline in new diagnoses following mask mandates

5. Nationally mandating face masks for employees early in the pandemic could have reduced the weekly growth rate of cases and deaths by more than 10 percentage points in late April and 19%- 47% fewer deaths nationally by the end of May.

If there is contrary data on the CDC site that I missed, please quote it and link to it.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                            X