New Car Paint Charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car Paint Charge

In recent years, I have noticed an extra charge for special paint jobs on some new cars. A couple of days ago, I looked at a 2021 Acura CLX. To me, it appeared to be white. It did not look like some super special pearl job. There was a $500 charge for the paint shown on the window sticker. I do not remember this on any new cars that I have sold. This Acura was assembled/painted in Ohio. To me, a $42K car should include the cost of the paint. Am I just behind the times?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I paid $750 for a special order paint color on my 2007 Audi A3.
    3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

I have to agree with Studegary, on this one....

Comment

I know I am behind the times. Recently, I began thinking about another truck since my newest one is now over 18 years old. It has been years since I had any monthly payments except for my utilities. Before Dave Ramsey made his debt free policy of live like no one else so you can live like no one else... I worked to pay myself out of debt.

So, I thought I would merely find a new or low mileage truck and buy it outright. To my surprise, four door trucks that can pull a serious load are obscenely over priced! Even used are equally priced for fools.

I can buy one, but I refuse! I have had several salesmen tell me that they don’t often see anyone with my credit rating and they can get me the best possible deal. They seem bewildered that I am not interested in their idea of a good deal. As rare as I really need to pull my equipment trailer, I can keep my old truck and rent a bigger truck when needed and save a lot of money. That’s a good deal!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by gjamesk View Post
          I paid $750 for a special order paint color on my 2007 Audi A3.
          But it probably didn't look like plain white.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

John, your idea of keeping your old truck is a good one. My truck is 22 years old and for the same reason as you I will not buy a new one. I've got 158,000 or so miles on it and i did paint it. Outside of that everything works and I love to use it. Can't see spendind $$$$ for a new one. Like you we owe nothing other than our utility bill on a monthly basis. You've made the right decision keeping the old one. Of course this is my opinion
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

never mind
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-02-2020, 09:16 AM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Guys, you think that's bad, look at this stupidness ! (and I'm a Ford guy too)

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...option%20sheet.

Comment

RE paying for paint, I’m with Gary.
                  RE that 500’s racing stripes, I call “BS” & because we can!

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                    John, your idea of keeping your old truck is a good one. My truck is 22 years old and for the same reason as you I will not buy a new one. I've got 158,000 or so miles on it and i did paint it. Outside of that everything works and I love to use it. Can't see spendind $$$$ for a new one. Like you we owe nothing other than our utility bill on a monthly basis. You've made the right decision keeping the old one. Of course this is my opinion
                    Thanks for the endorsement, Don. You know they say that all good humor has an element of truth to it. A couple of years ago I had my truck repainted. I called it a $100 paint job that I paid $800 dollars to get. Just a few weeks after it was painted I suffered a "Hit & Run" accident where a guy's poorly secured ladder swung out of his truck and messed up my driver's side front fender and gashed my driver's door.

Since insurance covered the damage, I had the local Dealer repair the damage, and, of course, they used quality paint for the repair. Fast forward two years to the present and I have an excellent example of the difference in quality paint and cheap paint. The southern sun is not kind to any kind of paint, and especially cheap paint! Both, the cheap paint and the driver's side repair are relatively the same age, but the cheap paint is already chalking while the repair with good paint still looks brand new.

Since we are discussing paint costs in this discussion, I thought I would add that little ditty... Regarding up charging for special colors...At one time in my (too many) careers, I sold, serviced, and consulted regarding industrial coating systems including auto & truck production. It has now been over 16 years since I donned a cleanroom suit, walked through the air shower entryway, and entered an automotive paint line. But, hopefully, they have made improvements in technology since then. But even then, cars being painted with electrostatic aerobells attached to Fanuc robot arms were capable of changing colors on the fly as the line moved. The paint supply is pumped from a paint room to a rather complex solenoid valved manifold and mixed by a computerized controller that keeps the paint catalyst and color at a set ratio and flow rate. Back then, any special color not used in sufficient volume to be scheduled for regular production usually required being pulled offline and painted separately. Depending on how that is set up in any given facility, I could easily see where a $500 charge is justified if not more.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      In recent years, I have noticed an extra charge for special paint jobs on some new cars. A couple of days ago, I looked at a 2021 Acura CLX. To me, it appeared to be white. It did not look like some super special pearl job. There was a $500 charge for the paint shown on the window sticker. I do not remember this on any new cars that I have sold. This Acura was assembled/painted in Ohio. To me, a $42K car should include the cost of the paint. Am I just behind the times?
                      Look at about any car line and there will be an up-charge for some colors, usually with pearl added. My wife's Corolla in pearl white was a $500 dollar up-charge and my Delmonico Red pearl Ram was $100.

It looks like paint is included but upgrades just like audio systems cost more. On the other hand, my Ram truck under the lights after dark just radiates. Worth the $100. Hell, rear fender liners are $139 option on a $60K truck. Chose and pay, if you want it built to a different standard.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        In recent years, I have noticed an extra charge for special paint jobs on some new cars. A couple of days ago, I looked at a 2021 Acura CLX. To me, it appeared to be white. It did not look like some super special pearl job. There was a $500 charge for the paint shown on the window sticker. To me, a $42K car should include the cost of the paint. Am I just behind the times?
                        Did you ask the salesman why?

If its a plain white finish as you say, I'd like to know why, too.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Did you ask the salesman why?

If its a plain white finish as you say, I'd like to know why, too.

Craig
                          No, I did not bring it up with the new, young salesman. I figured that would be futile. I was there to see the car in person after seeing many pictures in print and online.
                          The salesman was taken by my 19 year old Acura that I arrived in and appears as near new. Also, as soon as he saw my Skagen watch with "Acura" on the face he whipped out his smart phone to take a picture of it.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Up-charge for certain paint colours nothing new. A friend paid an upcharge for a graphite grey colour on his 320i BMW way back in the early 80's. cheers, junior
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                              Up-charge for certain paint colours nothing new. A friend paid an upcharge for a graphite grey colour on his 320i BMW way back in the early 80's.
                              Probably because it was a metallic finish.

There was a time when nearly a the European car manufacturers charged extra for metallic paint in the 1970's.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X