After Market Accessories in 1955

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Market Accessories in 1955

A friend sent me a copy of "Motor Life" from June, 1955 because it contains a driving test of the Speedster. The report was completely uncritical, I suppose that is the best way to get a dealer to loan you a car to test. The most interesting thing in the magazine are the accessories available. Several "lifetime" oil filters, continental kits, custom trim kits, Port O Walls for your tires. A "Protecto-Rod" to put in your radiator to rid the radiator and "complete engine block" of corrosion and scale. Also "Self cleaning spark plugs" which show a gain of 8 horsepower. Lots of fun looking at these.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Some of the claims made back in the day were really fanciful. I have a metal water can , about a pint. On the back of the can it says, "Impervious to Atomic Bombs."
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

I tried a set of Portowalls on my car. What a waste

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
        I tried a set of Portowalls on my car. What a waste
        They can't be used with radial tires.
        Well, they can, but they bulge and squeak and look ridiculous.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
          I tried a set of Port o walls on my car. What a waste
          I put a pair of JC Whitney port o walls on the bias-ply snow tires on my 1954 3R6 pickup in 1973, and they were still in good shape 35 years later when I bought new tires.

I was at the right age when all those miracle products were being advertised in Popular Mechanics and Popular Science. I believed every claim and bought as many as I could afford.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post

I put a pair of JC Whitney port o walls on the bias-ply snow tires on my 1954 3R6 pickup in 1973, and they were still in good shape 35 years later when I bought new tires.

I was at the right age when all those miracle products were being advertised in Popular Mechanics and Popular Science. I believed every claim and bought as many as I could afford.
            The JC Whitney Catalog was just as important as toilet paper in the bathroom 40 years ago. It was the smartphone browser for Car Nuts back when Radio Shack was really High Tech (RS Catalog was never far from the JC Whitney Catalog, either). I proudly remember the Ram's Head Hood Ornament for my 1978 Dodge W200 with eyes that lit up.

Miracle products. or neat gadgets, getting off in the weeds on eBay today will never compete with the old JC Whitney. I drive by the main warehouse on I-80 near Chicago, and never have time to stop. I will have to do that soon, just for old time's sake. Who knows, I may go home with a toilet paper cartridge oil filter.

Comment

Working...
            X