Where are the caffeine free sodas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the caffeine free sodas??

My wife and I seem to be on a quest to get caffeine-free sodas. She likes CF Pepsi and I like CF Coke. Both products seem to be unavailable anywhere we go.We used to get these fairly easily.We have checked all the supermarkets,Giant,Weis,Safeway and the like.Even tried a few 7Elevens and Quik E Marts.Checked several counties and even my old 'hood. Neither in bottles or cans.We did find a few 2 liter bottles at one store and that was it.Wife called Coca-Cola's main office and said that it was because of an 'aluminum shortage'. Really??!! That's why there are aisles full of regular Coke and Pepsi in cans.She even tried to get some online (she's an Amazon Prime addict).Still no go.What gives?

There was likely not enough demand for the caffeine-free variants so production was either cancelled or reduced.
    A few years ago I had a similar problem finding Mountain Dew made with real sugar (rather than corn syrup), so I asked the local grocery store manager about it, and they said that nobody purchased the stuff. The thing is, how can anybody purchase the stuff if it isn't available for purchase in the store? You can't possibly purchase what isn't available! So, I gave up on Mountain Dew with real sugar and am purchasing Mello Yellow made with the crappy corn syrup, as corn syrup's entire purpose is to provide a market for norther farmer's corn crop (because ethanol wasn't a big enough market).
    By the way, there is a difference in taste between corn syrup and real sugar (whether it be from sugar beets or sugar cane).
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The thing that grinds my gears is that these stores advertise these products in their sales circulars.Example: All Pepsi products including caffeine free.When these were available,they always sold out. You're not allowed rain checks like you were years ago. You used to be able to buy 24-packs of these without any problem.It's been a few decades since I was in retail, but when you advertise something,you should have a reasonable minimum quantity.Not like,"two six packs for $5" and only have 6 on the shelf. Maybe the missus and I will make a road trip to a neighboring state or travel out further to see if we can find any.

Comment

Real or not, Yes, there supposedly is an aluminum can shortage. This has also zapped the availability of Coke Zero Cherry for me. Coke Zero at all for that matter.

I know the recycling center I cash my cans in at stopped taking used cans in March. They just started accepting again, but only in dry 55 gallon drums with no garbage bagged cans allowed. COVID, you know.

I have no idea how much of each batch goes into cans, bottles, etc., but even some forms of beer are running low. It doesn't make sense to run a full batch unless you package it all. What sells best will get the available cans. Kinda like the old USSR. Choices have to be made because of limited resources.

Same goes for the supposed "Coin Shortage". Have you tried handing a Millennial cashier cash lately? The last $20 Bill I passed was held in the air and sprayed with Lysol. Some even say or have a sign "Card Payments Only Please".

Real or not, fear changes things. This time, it's not just one industry or segment involved. Everybody gets to come to the party.

Comment

Doing my best to find Canada Dry 2.0 liter bottles of Lemon / Lime sparkling water. Whenever it's on the shelf, I'll buy everything that's there. Last time I bought (13) bottles and now I'm down to the last (3) and I've been trying to stock up for the last 6 weeks. Nothing, Nada, Zilch, Zero and I usually go through 2 - 3 bottles per week. Resort to regular water?? The HORRORS. I've been drinking it the last 40 years the thought of switching now at 67 is more than I can handle.
          "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
          R.W. Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
            Real or not, Yes, there supposedly is an aluminum can shortage. I know the recycling center I cash my cans in at stopped taking used cans in March. They just started accepting again, but only in dry 55 gallon drums with no garbage bagged cans allowed. COVID, you know. I have no idea how much of each batch goes into cans, bottles, etc., but even some forms of beer are running low. It doesn't make sense to run a full batch unless you package it all. What sells best will get the available cans.
            I wonder how much you'd get at a metal recycler vs. a bottle/can depot, if you have enough for a few pounds worth.

Craig

Comment

Have you ever found out how they remove that caffeine ? Ed

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                Have you ever found out how they remove that caffeine ? Ed
                Yes, it's by a high-tech process called re-labeling,lol. I miss you guys!

Comment

I drink diet, caffeine free, Pepsi (Coke when I can't get Pepsi). I buy two litre bottles. I have found that only a small portion of what is stocked at supermarkets is this type. It always sells out in short order and there is a whole bunch of the regular stuff still on the shelfs. I have brought this to the attention of store management and Pepsi/Coke representatives. They do not have an answer and nothing changes. When I do find it on sale and in stock, I buy all that is available or all that is allowed at the sale price. I think that I have about 16 bottles in the garage. I rotate usage, FIFO. I probably use two to three bottles a week.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I go through two of these 710ml bottles a day. I used to drink a 2-litre bottle, but at the insistence of my dentist, I cut back.

Craig

Comment

My wife has kept me searching for caffeine free drinks for weeks. There are none on the shelves around here.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

I wonder how much you'd get at a metal recycler vs. a bottle/can depot, if you have enough for a few pounds worth.

Craig
                        I go once or twice a year to a private metal recycler (scrap yard) in a neighboring town. The last price I got was $0.35/lb. Two years ago, they paid $0.75/lb. Most I ever had was 70 lbs.

They normally take cans in plastic garbage bags and dump them on to a conveyor that weighs them. Often, a little wet and messy even if your load is not. They stopped accepting cans in bags last March. Now, they only accept them "dry" in 55 gallon drums only. They aren't quoting a price now until after the load is inspected.

Comment

The parts of some supermarket shelves, such as the soda aisle, are (in effect) leased to the product providers, who (instead of store personnel) are responsible for stocking them. Coke and Pepsi have algorithms that keep track of what is selling and where. When the demand drops below some minimum level, that part of the shelf is refilled with some other part of their product line. The only thing you can do is to always buy your favorite from the same store, and buy as much as you can every time you go there.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            I go through two of these 710ml bottles a day. I used to drink a 2-litre bottle, but at the insistence of my dentist, I cut back.

Craig
                            What's in the drawers Craig? More bottles? LOL
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                              My wife has kept me searching for caffeine free drinks for weeks. There are none on the shelves around here.
                              If you do not have to have Pepsi or Coke, there are a lot of sodas that are only caffeine free, like Sprite.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X