Results of today's cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results of today's cooking.

Well, as it was Sunday, I figured that it would be right and proper of me to cook a while.

First up was this banana bread. Special twists from normal is extra banana, nutmeg, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts. I'd imagine this would go well with tea!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Banana Bread.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	1848121

Then came the hamburgers. Not just any hamburgers, but Indian-style ones with chutney, curry powder, yogurt, and a bunch of other bits and bobs. The really special thing about it though was the "beyond burger" patties. These are those new-fangled ones that are entirely based on plant material. I would say that it was better than I thought it would have been, and while certainly not bad, it's not quite up to the level of pure beef just yet. Still glad I tried it though.

The side of sweet potato rounds made it extra nice!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Burgers and Potatoes.JPG Views:	0 Size:	47.6 KB ID:	1848122

To cap this off, here's a photo of me in Sunday best! Whether or not I look good may be a matter of interpretation, but I do believe I'm firmly on the "good" side.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowler Dinner.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	1848123

Cheers everyone! Keep good food and Studebakers close, but the people you happen to care about closer.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Has anybody tried making a hamburger bun out of a potato? Seems like a good idea to me, as it would eliminate the need for a side of french fries. Perhaps two shredded potato patties that are air-fried, just the right diameter for a hamburger patty. If this has never been done, you can give credit to me, Brent. Thank you
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Funny this, a bit like surfacebook...
      sigpic

Josephine
      Champion V8
      4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        Has anybody tried making a hamburger bun out of a potato? Seems like a good idea to me, as it would eliminate the need for a side of french fries. Perhaps two shredded potato patties that are air-fried, just the right diameter for a hamburger patty. If this has never been done, you can give credit to me, Brent. Thank you
        That sounds great! As a type 2 diabetic, I could enjoy the hamburger bun and fries all at once with half the carbohydrates. I will try that out Brent and let you know. First I have to get an air fryer then potatoes

Bob Miles

Comment

They do make potato buns. Using potato flour. They usually are light yellow in color.

Comment

Well done ( pun intended) Jake. I have tried a few of the Raymond Loewy recipes published in the Avanti Magazine and they are quite good and different.
            Keep up the great work.
            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
              Well done ( pun intended) Jake. I have tried a few of the Raymond Loewy recipes published in the Avanti Magazine and they are quite good and different.
              Keep up the great work.
              Bill
              Hold on a minute, you old bird you. You mean to tell me THE Raymond Loewy that we all know and love made his own RECIPES?! I gotta try my hand at some!
              Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

I have tried beef replacement hamburgers. I found them ok, but not good enough to get me to switch from beef. I have probably had one hamburger in the past six months and that was because it was a free meal.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Jake,
                  If you don't have access to previous Avanti Magazine books I could send you some. Raymond Loewys' personal recipes are terrific as he was a well known connoisseur. I am particularly fond of one of his stews as it is very different from the norm using ingredients such as ginger root.
                  Cheers,
                  Bill

Comment

I published a cookbook for our chapter many a moon ago and I found a couple of Raymond Loewy's recipes from a yard sale cook book and published them. If anyone would like me to copy them for the forum, let me know.

Bob Miles

Comment

Bob,
                      Absolutely! And thanks.
                      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                        Bob,
                        Absolutely! And thanks.
                        Bill
                        Okay Bill

Click image for larger version  Name:	Cookbook.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	1848752
                        I did this cookbook in 1991 back when all I had was a typewriter. I have printed the recipe just as it was in the cookbook with Raymond Loewy's name attached.

Scallops St. Tropez
                        Start heating oven to 400 degrees. In Medium saucepan Melt 5 TBSP Butter or Margarine.
                        Stir in 6 TBSP Flour
                        1/2 tsp salt
                        Generous dash of white pepper.
                        Cook mixture a few seconds then stir in 1 cup Chicken Broth, 1 cup Milk stirring until thick and smooth
                        Add 1/4 cup white wine, 1/2 cup strained canned tomatoes or stewed fresh tomatoes
                        When mixture is bubbling, drop in 2 lb Sea Scallops. Cook stirring occasionally about 8 minutes or until scallops are done
                        Stir 2 tsp lemon juice, 2 egg yolks beaten with 1/4 cup heavy cream.
                        Divide mixture evenly between 6 casseroles 1 cup size and generously sprinkle top of each with grated parmesan or swiss cheese and bake 15 minutes or golden brown

Thin Veal Forestier

Purchase 1 and 1/2 Lb Veal cutlet, cut into very thin slices, then pound them even thinner with a wood mallet. Rub veal all over with cut clove of garlic. Dip veal slices into flour, coat each side well.
                        In skillet Heat until quite hot 1/4 cup butter or margarine. Add veal slices several at a time an saute until golden brown on each side. Heap on top of veal 1/2 lb mushrooms thinly sliced.
                        Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt, dash pepper, 1/3 cup dry vermouth. Cover skillet and let veal cook over very low heat about 20 minutes or until fork tender. As it cooks occasionally lift off cover to be sure veal is moist and if necessary, add a tablespoon or so of water, Just before serving, sprinkle over all 1 tsp lemon juice and snipped parsley.

If you like to cook in a chafing dish, after veal has browned, transfer it with pan dripping to chafing dish; finish dish as directed right in front of guests
                        Last edited by 6hk71400; 07-30-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Well Jake, see what you started. Now I am going to have to check back on the forum regularly for new recipes.
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                          X