Laptop Computer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Computer Question

I have a Dell Inspirion 3552 laptop computer. It is just over three years old. I use it most everyday and it is usually plugged in.
    Today, the white indicator light on the front edge is on (steady/all the time). It used to just come on briefly to charge the battery. The battery indicator shows 100% charge. The computer seems warmer than usual.
    I do not know what it means, but I am guessing that it means end of life for the battery. I am guessing that it may pay to buy a new computer rather than replace the battery.
    Any expert opinions/comments?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Gary L.: If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Even if the worst happens and the battery does die, it is still easier and cheaper to replace the battery than buy a new computer. We all ought to be able to get 5-10 years out of computer unless you are using the latest high-end software to the max. Heck, you're the ex-IBM guy here, you can solve this! As the usual advice goes, shut down the laptop and reboot, i.e. not "restart" but cold shutdown. That frequently cures a lot of unexplained issues. Thank you, Microsoft, for all of your unannounced and undocumented "updates".
    Gary A.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Thanks, Gary A. I spent 26 years at IBM, but (as you know) that was mostly in making the semiconductor chips that go into mainframes, not dealing with this end of it.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
        ...Thank you, Microsoft, for all of your unannounced and undocumented "updates".
        Gary A.
        And that includes all the additional "updates(?)" to undo all the glitches in the previous updates!

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If the computer is warmer than usual (assuming that your house isn't warmer inside than usual), there may be some dust or other blockage of the computer's cooling/ventilation system.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If you can't figure it out otherwise you can do as I always do...keep the laptop on a cooling base. It's a ventilated base with fans powered through a USP port of the laptop. That way, whenever the computer is on its being cooled from underneath. For a computer...heat is the enemy.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Start saving the stuff on your computer, now....guess what's on it's way out...

Comment

I had a dell laptop with a BO battery. Just took the old one out and retrieved the numbers off of it, found a new one on amazon , and all was good for another 5 years. Very simple to change, and I think it was around a $100.

Comment

How long does it run on battery power alone?

The heat could be a indication the charger circuits are trying overtime to get the battery charged but its not working due to failed battery.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks for the inputs. I tried various things like restarting the computer and then I removed the battery and reinstalled it followed by disconnecting the computer from power (110 volt) overnight. This seemed to do the trick (so far). This morning I started the computer and then turned the external power back on. The battery charged for a while, with the white light on. Now, the battery is 100% charged and the white light went out (normal).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Did you try searching online to see if someone else has documented the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
                        Did you try searching online to see if someone else has documented the problem?
                        Not exactly, but I did Google the problem before posting here. It didn't show up as a regular problem.

EDIT: It is still now working normally.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Do "post #7" anyway....
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                          X