Westley's Bleche-Wite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westley's Bleche-Wite

There was a thread in the General Studebaker Forum about whitewall care. I felt this aspect of it was best moved here. Westley's was purchased by Black Magic some time ago, and I noticed many are complaining the new stuff isn't as good as the stuff we grew up with. I searched, and this seems to not have been a topic.

Whitewalls are almost extinct in today's late model car market, but before you throw your supply away: (Small bottles are listed at $89 - FYI):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Westley-s-T...wAAOSwLzde2783

I still have some Westley's, but seldom use it. I think it's too caustic for its purpose.
    Simple Green with a little extra elbow grease is just as effective and poses no harm to the tires.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Holy Cow $400 smakers....Ill make the trip to autozone for $5. works great and I just bought it last week so if there is a new formula its just as good

https://www.autozone.com/wash-cleane...2oz/552729_0_0
      Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        I think it's too caustic for its purpose.
        Possibly spot on, but my wife rubbing the curb with the front tires of her '93 Grand Caravan pushed me to invest in a gallon back in the day. It's now about 1/2 full. Nothing would get into the damaged area and make it less visible like Westley's. Now that I can't bend and put pressure on a brush like I used to, I'll likely lean on it again when I get back into detailing hard again.

I know many didn't like it, but when whitewalls ruled, Westley's did too. Nothing matched a Westley's with a brush before it dried and a quick rinse treatment. I agree, you had to use it wisely.

Comment

I bought a quart bottle of this some time back and I think only paid about $5.00 for it. I'll check the price the next time I'm at the auto parts store. That e-bay price is way out of line I think.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
            I bought a quart bottle of this some time back and I think only paid about $5.00 for it. I'll check the price the next time I'm at the auto parts store. That e-bay price is way out of line I think.
            I figured this would be enough to send us CASO's into the Stratosphere. Long story short, this is another product from back in the day that has been sold off and changed. I can't speak to the effectiveness of the new formula, but there must be enough people longing for the old stuff that someone feels they can charge confiscatory rates for the last of the original supply. Kind of like people selling cans of R-12 refrigerant for huge money. Doesn't mean they'll get it. But, there's enough chatter they think it's worth a try.

Comment

I have used 409, works very well. Great for nicotine stains too.

Comment

The old Bleche Wite works well for me. Do not use too much. Control where you apply it and how long you leave it on. Do not use it often (once per year is ok). Do not use a dressing on the whitewall.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
                  Whitewalls are almost extinct in today's late model car market, but before you throw your supply away: (Small bottles are listed at $89 - FYI):
                  A gallon of Black-Magic Bleche Wite is $10.40 at Amazon.

Comment

I have a stash of the original Westley's and a bottle of the new, and there IS definitely a difference in the quality of the old formula vs the new...the old being the better.

Comment

I loved the stuff and only recently heard about it's demise. In the past I tried to use for the tough jobs and for shows, using 409, or Fantastic for incremental cleaning. I still have some Westley's, but I don't know how much. Does anyone know of one of the other cleaning products that could safely be used to cut it safely and do so without loosing much of it's efficacy?

Comment

Years ago, the tire manufactures claimed that the best cleaner is physical abrasive - sand paper, Scotch Bright and so on. They said not to use chemicals.

I have seen Bleche Wite rot the whitewall part of the tire and actually eat it away. But that was someone else's tire, so no idea about how many times it was used or how long it was left on the sidewall.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

2X on using Simple Green with a bit of Scotch Bright pad. Also, Simple Green works well in your pressure washer to clean your engine compartment, undercarriage, etc.

Comment

I splurged and bought a quart bottle of the new formula at Wal-Mart today for $3.74. Comparing the old and new warning labels, the old stuff had both sodium metasilicate and sodium orthosilicate in it. The new formula only lists sodium metasilicate.

Spraying the new stuff on my bare hand, it smells more like Windex than the old stuff.

I'm not going as far as hiring a chemist, or digging up both MSDS sheets, but it seems the new stuff is not as aggressive as the old. As far as tire manufacturers putting out warnings, my new power washer also came with a warning not to spray sidewalls with a direct stream. Some of those rubber overlays are really thin on Outline White Letter (OWL) tires. Curb damage is more likely to start the process that ruins the aesthetics of those tires, than cleaners or high power washers.

Comment

Well, I've been using the stuff since the early 1980s, usually use two bottles a year, clean WW on two cars, sometimes as often as every week, last bottle I bought during one of our false springs in March, I think.
                              I apply to a moistened WW, scrub with SOS (or store brand equivalent) soaped steel wool pad and rinse well. Never a problem. Love the stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X