Tick-tock-tick-tock...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tick-tock-tick-tock...

Well, I managed to get myself this handy dandy pocket-watch on the ol' FleaBay for what I consider to be a really good deal as a birthday treat. It is a very-Art Deco looking South Bend Model 19J. Judging from the serial number on the internal movement (998387), I believe this watch to have been made in 1921. After some tinkering with the movement, this grand old timepiece accurately keeps time now. The first thing that I noticed is how LOUD it is relative to a standard wristwatch. Not a problem, certainly, but definitely worth noting.

The South Bend Watch Co. was evidently formed from the remains of the Colombia Watch Manufacturing Co. in 1903 by...you guessed it...the Studebaker family. They produced watches in both the South Bend and Studebaker names (which were mechanically identical to each other) until 1929. Very intriguing business!

Click image for larger version  Name:	SB watch.JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.9 KB ID:	1837528

Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!
Working...
X