Fascinating tutorial on leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fascinating tutorial on leather

Trying to research about leather for my Speedster, I found this great tutorial about leather on the Leatherique website. It’s only 13 pages. I found it fascinating. I hope the link works.

http://www.leatherique.com/2011-leatherique-book.pdf
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Bob,

I am envious of your Speedster purchase. Lucky you and congratulations!

I did think about buying it because it seemed to be better than the two Speedsters I have, but I figured I didn't want the owner to go through the probable cross border hassle we probably have now. Neither of mine are on the road.

I have contemplated dying my Speedsters as well. Same lemon-lime combination outside with yellow interior. However, I chose to get some beige dye and experiment first with one of my Packard Hawks because it was in the paint shop. I bought the dye, then put on the conditioner and closed up the windows on a hot day as suggested. All of the window trim rusted within a day! I have since removed and repainted all of the trim. I then sent a really bad Packard Hawk set of upholstery as a pattern for an upholsterer in the US to make some new seats and panels. The PH upholstery is very complicated. It took well over a year to get it back. Meantime, I was incredibly disappointed in the new paint job - all rough on the rockers and he painted over the glue that was left on the fins under the mylar. In addition, the carpet set fit very badly. Disheartened. Weather has also been horrible to date, so I haven't got it out and going. I can now see how restorations can take a long time. I do like jumping into a car like my reliable 1955 Commander and just going. I do intend to dye the relatively good set of PH upholstery and put it in PH #2.

With respect to the Speedster upholstery, a thick white thread is used to pleat it into the diamond pattern. I am guessing that this thread will be colored yellow too and I'm not sure how that will look. (on the PH there are is no thread showing) . I could really kick myself because years ago John Poulos offered Speedster-like upholstery in vinyl for a fraction of the price of leather. (although the leather smells really nice...)

The results for the leather through Leatherique look remarkable. I wish you success, and I would like to see how yours turns out. Best of luck and enjoy it!

Comment

Thanks for your response. As of right now I am deciding what I’m going to do. The above referenced tutorial has taught me a lot. I May just do the rejuvenation and cleaning process they describe and leave it at that. I will probably call them and ask them their thoughts specifically on the Speedster yellow leather.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
      X