The Boy Scouts of America and Honor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boy Scouts of America and Honor

It's coming up to the second anniversary of my Eagle Scout award, my crowing achievement after 10 years of service to the Boy Scouts of America. I have taken stock in it and have recognized that it is not so much an honor as it is a promise to extend myself for the good of as many people as I can. Given the wave of success I'm currently in that I have posted on this forum, it is rather easy to lose sight of it. I don't intend on doing that just yet.

Anyway, do you have any experiences with the BSA? What is it that you feel makes it truly special? I feel like such a discussion would make a welcome and wholesome addition to the the Stove-Hugger's page.

Click image for larger version  Name:	NESA card.JPG Views:	0 Size:	101.1 KB ID:	1821067

Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

A few years ago I was towing the Yellow POS (rarely ever sees a trailer)... Hit the rest area.
    Some local BSA troops were headed for a Jamboree.
    Instant car show for the young men. That extra half hour was worth every second.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DEEPNHOCK Feb 17 20 2007 003.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1821072Click image for larger version

Name:	DEEPNHOCK Feb 17 20 2007 006.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1821073
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As a 25-plus year Scout leader & father of 2 Eagle sons, and a Venturing daughter , I'm a big supporter.
      It's a wonderful program that produces capable and responsible young men & women.

That said, I have serious concerns about the future & survival of the program.
      Wolves are at the door & having to mortgaging their big ticket properties says a LOT.

Comment

I was a member of the Cub Scouts and the Boy Scouts as a young man. It was a fun, educational and enlightening experience for me. I did not go for Eagle but achieved first class scout and had a chest, arm and sash full of merit badges. I just recently ran across a large envelope among the things I got when my mother died. She had removed all my badges from my uniform and saved them in this envelope. It brought tears to my eyes when I opened it and saw what was inside. A flood of wonderful memories came back to me. I will always cherish my time in the scouts.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

You yourself are an example of what makes the program truly special. You learned how to speak to an adult at an early age. Setting up a campsite, cooking your meals and dressing for whatever weather for a weekend starting at age 11 taught you how to take care of yourself. Progressing your ranks taught you what it takes to accomplish your goals and taught you that you yourself do have the ability to accomplish those goals. Now, as an adult in college, you are many years into knowing that in order to accomplish your goals you need to, and do know how to, speak respectfully to the adult in charge, you know that you do need to do the work, and you are confident that you can do the work. You post frequently on this forum, and you are read and responded to as an equal by people who could very well be your grandfathers’ age.
          Last edited by Robert Crandall; Yesterday, 09:47 AM.

Comment

OK. It’s a start.

If you really want to know what you are capable of, after you graduate from college, join the Army and volunteer for Ranger School or join the Navy and volunteer for SEAL Training. If you can make it through either one of those programs, there’s nothing you can’t do

Tom

Comment

Working...
            X