Don't you just love YouTube trolls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't you just love YouTube trolls?

While this does concern Studebakers, I thought that it would be more appropriate to put it here, given the downright nasty subject matter. I was watching an AMC Hornet video and made the mistake of checking the comments section. I was then accosted by a YouTube troll after I declared my love for the Independents. Here is the full transcript of the best part of the (very long) comment thread:

ME: Oh boy... I said that I wasn't going to talk to you anymore but that last statement made me change my mind. I am most certainly wading into a murky swamp up to my pelvis, but I don't care. I'm doing it.

Us AMC/Independent fans tend to be "easily ruffled" because we have been shat on, pushed around, and jabbed for decades about the car brands we happen to like. We are TIRED of it. In addition, your "less than complementary" statements were nothing less than libelous condemnations. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with AMC's cars relative to either Big Three or foreign competition. Nothing. It is just that the company had no chance to survive in the long term because it was too poorly capitalized and seen as "nerdy" by the general public.

Ever since Roy Abernathy tried to run away at full speed from the successful Romney formula of a simple, quality-built compact car in 1967, wasting something like $4.2 million in the process, it was only a matter of time. AMC really was in a continuous state of "damned if I do, damned if I don't" from that point forward.

TROLL: Jake Feywell - Hey Zippy, It’s not my fault that AMC is the laughingstock of the automotive world, so why whimper at me? Just for your own mental health and well-being you should push your Studebaker off a cliff, then get an AMC from a junkyard and push it off the same cliff, on fire.

Here’s some interesting AMC facts for your perusal. AMC engineers invented heated rear windows to keep your hands warm while pushing them. Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey circus use AMC’s exclusively for their clown car fleet. AMC lemonmobiles don’t need security systems. How do you double the value of an AMC...fill it with gas. AMC’s have heavy duty windshield wipers to clean the burnt rubber off when they get massacred on the drag strip. Geezers worldwide endorse AMC. My Grandma owned a Gremlin that had the dashboard signed by Ralph Nader. You’re welcome. If you need any more life advice, give me a shout. 🚘 💩 🥉

ME: Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall painted entirely in vantablack. This "conversation" (if you can call it that) is not going to go anywhere, and it never will. I will always enjoy AMCs and Studebakers (to the benefit of my mental health) and you will always be absolutely insufferable, talking about 'Cudas and Rebel Machines as though they were direct competition when they were new off of the assembly line despite one being a pony car and the other muscle. The nerve...the bravado...

Ah well... at least your vitriol depresses the prices on both AMCs and Studebakers. More for me!

TROLL: Jake Feywell - Sorry Feywell, I forgot your rules about anybody having opinions contradictory to yours. Please accept my apologies. And now, by your command.... “American Motors Corporation is the best thing since sliced bread”🤢🤮. I’m gonna trade in my 70’ Hemi Cuda Convertible and get a really sweet Gremlin. 🥺

Vantablack is one of the coolest substances ever, and a brick wall represents strength & stability, so thanks for the compliment Feywell. I appreciate it. Thankfully, both AMC & Studebaker self destructed themselves. I don’t know how many more poorly constructed lemons Ralph Nader and I could endure. In parting Feywell, stay in school as long as you possibly can. Your comprehension, spelling and syntax still need plenty of work. Some extra schooling might even make your personality more tolerable. It’s worth a try anyway. 👨🏻‍🎓

(*P.S. - If I was forced at gunpoint to drive an AMC I’d get a 71’ Javelin with a 401 , or maybe an AMX of some sort).

ME: First of all, my name is Kaywell. K-A-Y-W-E-L-L. You're not being clever by misspelling it.

Second, while I freely admit that I do not know everything, I do know the English language enough to communicate effectively. Yes, that includes spelling.

Third, Studebaker never went out of business. Their board of directors simply voted in 1959 to diversify into other industries. This meant that Studebaker became a conglomerate at the expense of the automotive division. STP (oil products), Gravely tractors, Franklin appliances, and Onan generators among others were all a part of the scheme. As for AMC, they were bought out by the Chrysler Corp. because they wanted the Jeep division. They did not liquidate into nothing. I'd call that a success.

Fourth, I highly doubt you actually own a 1970 Hemi 'Cuda convertible. Those are significantly more expensive than my Studebaker. I have proof on my channel that I do own my dream car (thankfully), so until you do the same with yours, I will continue to doubt you.

Lastly, I like your forced AMC choice. I approve, but I know you would not take stock in that anyway.

TROLL: Jake Staywell - Your definition of a successful, prosperous automotive manufacturing company and mine differ greatly. “Out of business” is not normally considered a good thing. Fortunately, people in my world are allowed to form their own opinions, even if they’re wrong.

Diversification and Buy Outs passed off as success is some pretty sweet spin doctoring though.

That Studebaker of yours is pretty effeminate looking and woefully underpowered. Don’t think I could drive it around in full public view without a disguise or the cover of darkness. You should consider something more masculine, like a VW Bug, Nissan Fiagro, PT Cruiser or a Smart Car. 🌈 👀 ⛱ See ya Zippy. And keep working on that personality issue. All hope is not lost...yet.

ME: If I am considered to have issues according to you, then I shall wear it as a badge of honor. I also noticed that you skirted around your professed 'Cuda ownership by assaulting my Studebaker some more. Real classy.

It is worth mentioning that I have a printout of the review of the GT Hawk that appeared in the February 1962 issue of Motor Trend. The quote that contradicts you reads verbatim: "[M]ake no mistake about it--the Hawk GT is strictly a man's car and S-P's new president, Sherwood H. Egbert, deserves at least one free round wherever real men congregate for having the guts to buck the frilly feminine-oriented thinking that has crept into American automotive styling during the last decade."

Well then, wise guy, do you have any quips in response? For that matter, even if the GT Hawk was effeminate, why would that be a bad thing? It's 2020 for crying out loud!

TROLL: Jake Kaywell - If Eggbert said it’s masculine in 1962 I guess it’s masculine. (Did you really name your car Daisy Mae? You’ve gotta be pretty tough to pull something like that off). ❄️ 🦄 🐞

ME: Egbert did not say that the GT Hawk was masculine. Motor Trend did, specifically Tom McCahill. You know, the critically-acclaimed automotive journalist that among other things invented the "0-60 mph." concept for testing speed. Yes, I most certainly did name my car "Daisy-Mae". I like it and it's no better or worse of a name than, say, "Christine". Have a good night now.

TROLL: Jackie Kaywell - Daisy-Mae.......I gotta hand it to ya’ that’s gutsy. The pretty flower is a nice touch. It goes quite well on a ladies car. Till we meet again I bid you adieu, madame. 🌼
    AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Just tell them to F off.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Never get in a stink contest with a skunk.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
        Just tell them to F off.
        Originally posted by ddub View Post
        Never get in a stink contest with a skunk.
        I learned my lesson. The hard way, but still. I need to learn to use F-off in my vocabulary for jerks. *Sigh* Sometimes I think I'm too polite for my own good.
        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Don't feed the trolls, just ignore them.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

A wise person told me long ago that it takes two sticks to light a fire. Sometime I forget that but this does reinforce this lesson. Probably would be frustrating for someone that wants to fuss if no one responded.

Mark Twain and Winston Churchill and others: Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Bob Miles

Comment

It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.
                - Maurice Switzer & not A. Lincoln nor M. Twain.
                Look it up

Comment

Yeah, you are never going to "win" this argument with them. If you are enjoying the exchange, then continue; but this person looks to be one of those types who will NEVER admit they are wrong, no matter the consequences.
                  So the best you could possibly hope for is to agree to disagree. But even that is highly unlikely. Dont get too worked up, as this person looks to have a miserable existence if they are putting so much effort into this argument. Be ready to walk away if it becomes too much.

Comment

I do not recommend continuing, but if you do, you could point out that he claims to own a Plymouth and Plymouth has not been on the market for many years (your lifetime). I do not have anything against Plymouth, just pointing out the fact that they are also no longer manufactured. I sold new and used Plymouths and have personally owned new (two of my seven new cars) and used Plymouths.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Ever noticed kids in the age 9-13 always have to speak as many words as possible as fast as possible & in that also trying to throw out as many idiotic words as possible..? Some find it so extremly funny that they just forget to grow up in their heads.
                      & a car without a roof??? I'd lift out the Hemi & put it in a real car instead...

Comment

Jake, some sound advice here. Stay away from these comment sections. It seems the only people who contribute to them are people who have an unassailable opinion and need to express it, or those who would not have a good thing so say about anything or anyone who did not agree with them. I made the mistake of trying to "contribute" to the conversation a few times and got kicked in the teeth for my audacity. These are mean, nasty people who live in a world of hate and vitriol. Leave them to fester in their little world.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Yeah, Jake; what's been said here.

It's tough to ignore trolls but it's something that must be done to avoid wasting your time and becoming frustrated. Nothing irritates them more than being ignored...so if they irritate you, you can irritate them more by ignoring them! BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It took me a while in my younger days to realize that the whole goal of trolls like this is to get a reaction out of you. For some folks, this is fun and entertainment to them. Would not surprise me at all if they believe 0% of what they are saying. The goal is to get you mad and laugh at you. This happens in real life too and its pretty hard not to take the bait.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Every time you feed a troll they just get hungrier.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X