Slightly off topic Brand F question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly off topic Brand F question

Helping a friend tomorrow with her '54 Ford Crestline's vacuum wipers. Does a Ford of the era have a vacuum pump on the fuel pump, or is it just mechanical? Meanwhile, back to topic, I'm changing the oil in the Champ today. Woohoo!
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

You can look at the fuel pump and see if it has a vacuum assist or not. It will be obvious.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

My '56 F100 came with vacuum wipers and the vacuum assist fuel pump. The mechanic at the local Ford garage called it a dual action pump. I don't know if that's the real name for it or just what he called it. Owners often cheaped out at replacement time and bought the pump without assist.
      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

In the early 80s when a lot of cars had a couple dozen vacuum lines running all over, they all had a vacuum can - would that help any with one of those old vacuum wipers?

As a side, I drove a 60K mile '59 Galaxie for a while back in 1995-97 that had vacuum wipers - that was about the time I discovered the product Rain-X and have continued to use it to this day...

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
          Helping a friend tomorrow with her '54 Ford Crestline's vacuum wipers. Does a Ford of the era have a vacuum pump on the fuel pump, or is it just mechanical? Meanwhile, back to topic, I'm changing the oil in the Champ today. Woohoo!
          To the best of my knowledge, Ron, 1954 Fords with vacuum wipers had a dual-action fuel pump with the vacuum booster on top.

BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Ford part numbers:

B4A-9350-D .. Fuel & Vacuum Pump = 1954 Ford V8 Passenger Cars.

B2A-17508-A .. Vacuum Wiper Motor = 1952/54 Ford Passenger Cars.

No electric wiper motor listed for Ford Passenger Cars in the 1949/59 Ford Passenger Car Parts Catalog until 1959.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
              Ford part numbers:

B4A-9350-D .. Fuel & Vacuum Pump = 1954 Ford V8 Passenger Cars.

B2A-17508-A .. Vacuum Wiper Motor = 1952/54 Ford Passenger Cars.

No electric wiper motor listed for Ford Passenger Cars in the 1949/59 Ford Passenger Car Parts Catalog until 1959.
              I owned 1954 and 1958 Fords with vacuum wipers. They were terrible. I was used to Studebakers with electric wipers, even my 1953s (V8s).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My '57 Cadillac had vacuum wipers. Must have had a strong pump, 'cause they worked well.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
                X