1968 Bullitt Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 Bullitt Mustang

Just got done reading that the Mustang Steve McQueen drove in the movie Bullitt sold for$3.4 million dollars. There is no way in He// that any run of the mill production Mustang ever built by Ford is worth that kind of money.

John S.

I beg to differ, Apparently this ICONIC Mustang was worth that much to at least two bidders, run of the mill my ass!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Packard53 View Post
      Just got done reading that the Mustang Steve McQueen drove in the movie Bullitt sold for$3.4 million dollars. There is no way in He// that any run of the mill production Mustang ever built by Ford is worth that kind of money.

John S.
      If you ignore the heritage of that particular Ford- then yeah, its not worth that much. When you take into consideration what that particular, very-specific vehicle did, who drove it, and the film it was in- then yeah: the price is warranted. How can you ignore those factors?

The original Declaration of Independence is just an old piece of paper with some ink scribbles on it. Paper is not worth that much, right? Tell me how much you think that is worth.

Comment

Packard53: I just noticed that you are most likely British from your profile. Please forgive my poor choice of documents for a comparison. The Declaration of Independence is most likely close to worthless to you.

Comment

Meh.... I saw the car in person in Rosemont, IL during the MCACN show where they were pimping it for the auction. It was a rusty Mustang at best.

And to think.. 10% sellers fee...10% buyers fee... Mecum just made $680,000 dollars on the sale.
          And the seller will have to pay a wad in inheritance tax (or capital gains tax)..
          Way too much hype... A yawner in my book.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Meh.... I saw the car in person in Rosemont, IL during the MCACN show where they were pimping it for the auction. It was a rusty Mustang at best.

And to think.. 10% sellers fee...10% buyers fee... Mecum just made $680,000 dollars on the sale.
            And the seller will have to pay a wad in inheritance tax (or capital gains tax)..
            Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post

Well said my feelings exactly.

John S.

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
              Packard53: I just noticed that you are most likely British from your profile. Please forgive my poor choice of documents for a comparison. The Declaration of Independence is most likely close to worthless to you.
              The Magna Carta, then?

Sorry. It's an insult to both documents to be compared to a car that probably doesn't have enough McQueen DNA for an effective clone.
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

I'd buy it for a normal price plus a small star bump. I cannot believe such a car will be worth anywhere near that in twenty years.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Considering the number of Mustangs that were used to create the movie, I'll take a Studebaker over it any day of the week.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Amazing the owner didn’t keep better care of it. A wax job once in awhile would have been nice. How does someone claim to love a car so much let it deteriorate like that?

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      Considering the number of Mustangs that were used to create the movie, I'll take a Studebaker over it any day of the week.
                      Two identical Hunter Green 1968 Mustang fastbacks were used in the film, both provided by FoMoCo, one was wrecked. When filming ended, both were returned to S&C Ford of San Francisco.

Comment

Creegster: The best and most famous movie car ever was built in England. I assume you know of the James Bond Aston Martin DB5 for the movie Gold Finger. Three DB5's were built for the movie. One of the three was sold at auction for $6.4 million dollars. The D5 was a hand built car of quality and not mass produced run of the mill Mustang like was driven by Steve McQueen in the movie.

John S.

Comment

Originally posted by Packard53 View Post
                          The D5 was a hand built car of quality and not mass produced run of the mill Mustang like was driven by Steve McQueen in the movie.
                          Agree on that one.

Unlike the Mustang Bullitt, the Aston Martin DB5 was far from a run-of-the-mill car; and not just by its production method of hand-built vs. mass produced on an assembly line. The Mustang Bullitt was ordered with a few high performance and handling options in Highland Green, a regular production color, which was nothing out of the ordinary for anyone ordering a 1968 Mustang fastback at the time. And nowhere on the Marti Report for the Bullitt, does it state its '1 of 1' for any option/color combination. The only modifications were post-delivery from the dealer where there were some performance & chassis modifications by Max Balchowsky as well as several mounting holes
                          drilled for mounting some lightweight Arriflex cameras inside and on the vehicle.

On the other hand, the Aston Martin DB5 used in Goldfinger was a movie-specific vehicle with several one-of-a-kind non-production (and highly illegal) gadgets which could only be used in a motion picture.

Another James Bond movie car that would bring in an insane amount of money at an auction would be one of the two Toyota 2000GT convertibles that were specifically made for 'You Only Live Twice'.

Craig
                          Last edited by 8E45E; 01-27-2020, 05:20 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=8E45E;n1816686][QUOTE=Packard53;n1816659]The D5 was a hand built car of quality and not mass produced run of the mill Mustang like was driven by Steve McQueen in the movie.

Agree on that one.

Unlike the Mustang Bullitt, the Aston Martin DB5 was far from a run-of-the-mill car; and not just by its production method of hand-built vs. mass produced on an assembly line. The Mustang Bullitt was ordered with a few high performance and handling options in Highland Green, a regular production color, which was nothing out of the ordinary for anyone ordering a 1968 Mustang fastback at the time. And nowhere on the Marti Report for the Bullitt, does it state its '1 of 1' for any option/color combination. The only modifications were post-delivery from the dealer where there were some performance & chassis modifications by Max Balchowsky as well as several mounting holes
                            drilled for mounting some lightweight Arriflex cameras inside and on the vehicle.

On the other hand, the Aston Martin DB5 used in Goldfinger was a movie-specific vehicle with several one-of-a-kind non-production (and highly illegal) gadgets which could only be used in a motion picture.

Another James Bond movie car that would bring in an insane amount of money at an auction would be one of the two Toyota 200GT convertibles that were specifically made for 'You Only Live Twice'.

Craig
                            Think you missed a zero Craig...2000GT. no matter the value of the 'verts, I'll take a coupe instead. cheers, junior
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                              Think you missed a zero Craig...2000GT. no matter the value of the 'verts, I'll take a coupe instead. cheers, junior
                              I did!

Should one ever come up for auction, we'll see the figure, followed by how many 'zeros' it will bring!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X