I found a neat old lighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found a neat old lighter

Well, I was at an antique store in Reno not too long ago and I happened upon this mid-century beauty. It is evidently a mid 1960s Ronson Varaflame butane lighter. It's currently non-operational, but I plan to give it to my grandpa anyway as a cool little gift. I couldn't find much information about Ronson or the Varaflame here on the Internet, so does anyone have some information they would like to share with me? Thank you!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ronson Varaflame.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	1815873

Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
    I couldn't find much information about Ronson or the Varaflame here on the Internet, so does anyone have some information they would like to share with me?
    Ronson has been around for a long time; perhaps even predates Zippo. Their earlier lighters were not butane, but used the same liquid fuel used in Zippos. Ronson called theirs Ronsonol.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ronson+lig...=v189-1&ia=web

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

In the pre-disposable lighter days when much of the population smoked, Zippo was the leader and Ronson was a close second in refillable lighter sales.

You need a Zippo or a Ronson with Studebaker advertising on it for your collection:
      https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....Lark-lighters=

Craig

Comment

I used to pass the Ronson factory all the time , Its right along the Garden State parkway Northbound near Westfield , They had a large tank outside that was painted to look like a Ronsonol refill cartridge , I don't know if its still there , Ed

Comment

My dad always carried a Zippo lighter on him when he smoked. He had a Ronson as well and really liked its shape and how it fit in his hand. He kept a can of Ronsonol lighter fluid and spare flints in a kitchen cupboard. Boy this brings back some memories from the '50s and '60s.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

My Dad had a Zippo that lasted him through WWII. After he died I declared it to TSA before we flew home. When we arrived the lighter was confiscated. I wrote TSA HQ that someone "stole" my father's lighter after I told them that it had been declared and transported the way that TSA told me to transport it. Because it was old and interesting it was also worth someone deciding that it needed to be in their pocket. My very direct letter about TSA procedures to TSA HQ including the names of those who told me how to transport it resulted in it being returned. At first I was told that it was lost and could not be returned. I gave it to my son who cherishes it. Somethings ARE worth not rolling over and accepting the standard response.
            "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
            R.W. Emerson

Comment

Working...
            X