Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires

So for years the public has been told the merits of Michelin Tires. Ok, so for the last 15 years I fell pray to the advertising and purchased tires from that "storied" brand. No more!!! While the tread was great, the walls of the tires would and do develop small cracks, some at first, then numerous....the resultant effect is that the tires start to lose air pressure, which require frequent trips to the gas station to "top off" which gets old fast:-( well live and learn!!............now I will begin to look for other brands.........any suggestions? Looking for black wall 215X70X15.
    Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Interesting comments. I've replaced all the worn out tires on my last four cars with Michelin Defenders. I've found them to be an excellent blend of drive-ability in Michigan's winter conditions as well a smooth ride on the interstate and good wear resistance. They are not cheap but on a price per miles basis they have been well worth the investment. I haven't driven them over 6 years so I can't attest to more longevity than that but even the last pickup truck I traded in (2014 Ram 1500) had over 50,000 miles on the them and they were still well above the wear bars and preformed well in winter driving. No sign of any wall cracks either but I haven't bought any in 4 years so I'll keep an eye on this thread for future reference.

As a thought, my new Ram came with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus tires and I was pleasantly surprised at the winter performance during the two different winter storms we've had here recently, one that left some very slippery roads. For a standard issue factory tire they ride very well also.
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-08-2019, 08:21 AM.

Comment

I have experienced separation of the tread from the belt on Michelins. I no longer pay the premium to buy them. I now have been buying Goodyear. Since I do not put many miles per year on any one car, I have been replacing them by time, so tread wear longevity is not a factor.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hi Sam,
        I was in the industry for over 40 years and sold most popular brands so I am interested in more information regarding your dilemma.
        1) How long did it take before the cracks appeared?
        2) Did they appear on all tires at the same time?
        3) Are there any similar cracks amongst the tread blocks?
        4) What wheels and what size wheel are they mounted on?
        5) Are the wheels applicable for radial tires?
        6) Are you sure that the air is leaking from the minute cracks?
        7) Have you checked the sidewalls by spraying a soapy liquid solution onto them?
        8) Did you check the tread of the tires in the same manner?
        9) Were the valve stems replaced at the time of purchase?(If not tube equipped).
        10) Are you running tubes? (Don't know your wheel application so just asking).
        11) How long does it take for a pressure loss to be noticeable?
        12) Are you checking visually or with an accurate gauge?
        13) Did you check the wheels for leakage? (spot welds etc).
        14) What air pressure did you have the tires set at when you performed the tests?
        15) Are these tires actually 15 years old as you mentioned?
        16) What is the vehicle in question as with the size you provided and the fact you are on this forum site, I can assume it's a Studebaker Hawk or Avanti?
        17) One of my Avantis has the same Michelin 215/70r15 tires since 1992. I very rarely have to add air.
        18) Where is the vehicle parked when not in use?
        19) Does anyone else have access to the car when you aren't using it?
        20) Can you supply the serial numbers so I can check the manufacturing date?
        21) Did you purchase the tires from a reputable dealer so you can be sure they weren't in storage for a time prior to being put into service?
        22) Can you supply the country of origin so as I know where they were made?
        This information will be of assistance in determining why you appear to be having this rather unique problem.
        Thanks,
        Bill

Comment

The shop I work at (in the office; not a technician) caters to high end European models, though not exclusively.

The boss knows his customers, many for decades; and how they drive. He himself is an award winning road course and drag racer. And his experience has shown him how different tires respond on different vehicles makes and models. Alloy versus steel rims are also a concern.
          All are NOT created or driven equal.

For the most part HE chooses the tires for their vehicles; mounting 20-40 per week, depending on the season.
          It's not very often he recommends a Michelin anymore.

But, as I said, he knows how his customers drive; some are road course enthusiasts, some just back and forth to work or play or hauling the family to soccer practice. He also knows who is on a budget and who is not.

We move a lot of Continentals and Hankooks for the Mercedes, Porsches, BMWs, Volvos, as well as the family sedans and mini-vans; occasionally Pirellis for the Ferraris, Lambos and McLarens. Occasionally a customers says 'this is what I want', and of course that is what they get.

There IS no superior tire for all occasions.
          Last edited by rockne10; 12-08-2019, 01:15 PM.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

My 2010 Caliber came with Good Years and they wore out at 20K or 25K. Michelin makes other brands of tires like BF Goodrich and Uniroyal at lower price points. On my Caliber, I'm on my 3rd pair of BFG Advantage T/A Sport's (215/60R17). I've gotten 80,000 out of my first 2 sets.
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Interesting comments. I've replaced all the worn out tires on my last four cars with Michelin Defenders. I've found them to be an excellent blend of drive-ability in Michigan's winter conditions as well a smooth ride on the interstate and good wear resistance. They are not cheap but on a price per miles basis they have been well worth the investment. I haven't driven them over 6 years so I can't attest to more longevity than that but even the last pickup truck I traded in (2014 Ram 1500) had over 50,000 miles on the them and they were still well above the wear bars and preformed well in winter driving. No sign of any wall cracks either but I haven't bought any in 4 years so I'll keep an eye on this thread for future reference.

As a thought, my new Ram came with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus tires and I was pleasantly surprised at the winter performance during the two different winter storms we've had here recently, one that left some very slippery roads. For a standard issue factory tire they ride very well also.
              Bob the tires in question are indeed the "Defenders"
              I believe the tires are just five years old with maybe 4k miles on them. As you see my daily driver is not so daily any longer;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                Hi Sam,
                I was in the industry for over 40 years and sold most popular brands so I am interested in more information regarding your dilemma.
                1) How long did it take before the cracks appeared? THREE YEARS
                2) Did they appear on all tires at the same time? YES
                3) Are there any similar cracks amongst the tread blocks? NO
                4) What wheels and what size wheel are they mounted on? FORD 15 INCH GRANDARQUIS
                5) Are the wheels applicable for radial tires? YES
                6) Are you sure that the air is leaking from the minute cracks? YES
                7) Have you checked the sidewalls by spraying a soapy liquid solution onto them? YES
                8) Did you check the tread of the tires in the same manner? YES
                9) Were the valve stems replaced at the time of purchase?(If not tube equipped). YES
                10) Are you running tubes? (Don't know your wheel application so just asking). NO
                11) How long does it take for a pressure loss to be noticeable? 4-5 WEEKS
                12) Are you checking visually or with an accurate gauge? GAUGE, WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND CHECKS AIR BY SIGHT???
                13) Did you check the wheels for leakage? (spot welds etc). FACTORY MAGS
                14) What air pressure did you have the tires set at when you performed the tests? 40 LBS
                15) Are these tires actually 15 years old as you mentioned? NO FIVE YEARS OLD, THEY REPLACED OTHER MICHELINS
                16) What is the vehicle in question as with the size you provided and the fact you are on this forum site, I can assume it's a Studebaker Hawk or Avanti? NO MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
                17) One of my Avantis has the same Michelin 215/70r15 tires since 1992. I very rarely have to add air.
                18) Where is the vehicle parked when not in use? ON THE STREET
                19) Does anyone else have access to the car when you aren't using it? NO
                20) Can you supply the serial numbers so I can check the manufacturing date? NO, I DO NOT INTENT TO CRAWL UNDER THE CAR;-(
                21) Did you purchase the tires from a reputable dealer so you can be sure they weren't in storage for a time prior to being put into service? YES ONE OF THE BIGGEST IN THE GREATER NYC AREA
                22) Can you supply the country of origin so as I know where they were made? I BELIEVE BRAZIL
                This information will be of assistance in determining why you appear to be having this rather unique problem. BILL ARE YOU PART OF A GOVERNMENT SKUNK OPS OPERATION???? lol!!!!!!!!!!!
                Thanks,
                Bill

Comment

No Sam, I am a concerned former dealer (from Canada) trying to get to the root of your problem.
                  What did your dealer state as the origin of your problem? You surely went back to him for his advise. Did he give you any solution such as a credit towards a new set in a different brand? Usually the cracking you are describing would be more typical in a hotter climate such as California or Arizona. Tires now have a lot more petro-chemical compounds rather than rubber as in older tires and thus tend to dry out from the inside out.
                  Let us know your dealer's findings.
                  Thanks, Bill

Comment

Sure sounds like UV damage to me. I don't think any tire will sustain side wall integrity if it is constantly exposed to the elements. I would like to know if the inner sidewalls showed the same level of deterioration as the sidewalls that were exposed to the sun?

Comment

No Sam, I am a concerned former dealer (from Canada) trying to get to the root of your problem.
                      What did your dealer state as the origin of your problem? You surely went back to him for his advise. Did he give you any solution such as a credit towards a new set in a different brand? Usually the cracking you are describing would be more typical in a hotter climate such as California or Arizona. Tires now have a lot more petro-chemical compounds rather than rubber as in older tires and thus tend to dry out from the inside out.
                      Let us know your dealer's findings.
                      Thanks, Bill
                      So Bill I am happy to inform you that Discount Tires dot com was the dealer. And no, after five years I hardly think they would stand behind these tires. I have chalked this up to just another experience in my life and as they say moved on. Already had my bud order a new set of KUMHO shoes for me. Thanks to all who weighed in;-) Oh, I double checked the tires were made in Canada, not Brazil.

Comment

Well let's blame it on the "Easterners" in our country!
                        As I stated, the Michelins on my Avanti have been installed for 27 years and still no cracks are visible nor any air loss noted.
                        Bill

Comment

Because I've had such great luck with Michelin Defenders over the last 12 years or so, I decided to Google "Michelin Defender issues 2019" for grins.

http://www.tire-reviews-online.com/m...e-quality.html

While these comments are certainly a small cross section of the buyers, they suggest that the qualities I have liked about Michelin's (wear, ride, easy to balance - little weight required) are being brought into question. I won't be needing (hopefully) tires for a while as the family vehicles are 18/19 issue but I'll keep this in mind when I do.

Bob

Comment

As I stated, the Michelins on my Avanti have been installed for 27 years and still no cracks are visible nor any air loss noted.
                            Bill
                            Holy cow, Bill. The new Michelin's are being built by the grand kids of the folks that built yours.

Bob

Comment

Bill
                              That is amazing.........but there is no way I would even think of keeping tires on a car that long............not with the freeway use the car sees.

Comment

Working...
                              X