An English perspective on American cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An English perspective on American cars

Well, I'm back with another airing of ThamesTV. This time we are going to be taking a look at several American "gas guzzlers" from the same decade that the automotive community regards as being the end of an era. Enjoy! I know I have.

Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Thanks Jake, do you know what year that was produced?
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
      Thanks Jake, do you know what year that was produced?
      I believe the production year would be 1973.
      Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

The Mustang II appeared in 1974. Based on a Pinto with a very ugly body, IMO, it almost killed Mustang.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          The Mustang II appeared in 1974. Based on a Pinto with a very ugly body, IMO, it almost killed Mustang.
          Even though it was ugly with those 5-mph bumpers, I disagree with your comment that it 'almost killed Mustang'. The Pinto-based Mustang had its best year since 1967 when some 386,000 cars were sold in 1974 and sales were still in the three figures when it was replaced by the far more attractive Fox-body in 1979. It was Lee Iacocca's final success story while still at Ford. Even though they sold as well as they did, I don't care for them either and never did. About a year ago, I had someone at a car show come up to me and show me photos of his restored 1978 Mustang II 'King Cobra' edition. The only words I had for him was if I want a Cobra for that year, I'll go 'down under' and bring back a Falcon XC Cobra where you get good looks and decent performance. He was surprised I was familiar with the Australian version of the Cobra, but more or less agreed with me, other than the Aussie version sells for ten times the price of the Mustang II. https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...c-falcon-cobra

Craig

Comment

In this area there was a guy with a show condition Mustang II. When he showed it, he displayed a sign to the effect that if there was no Mustang II there wouldn't be a Mustang today.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well thanks for schoolin' me Gents. I just ASSUMED the sales figures would have been low because of my personal opinion of the car.

My bad.

I will stand by my opinion that its styling, if you could call it that, did not match my aesthetic ideal and add that IMO the whole car was a downgrade from its predecessors.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

When the Mustang 2 came out, it was so different than the huge 71 through 73 "aircraft carrier deck" Mustangs that people were almost shocked. Karen and I didn't look at one until sometime later ...75 or 76 I think, when the white with blue "Shelby Stripes" and the V-8 came out. It was a fairly neat little car, but the total lack of power and the early Nash looking wheel wells just totally killed it for us. They did sell really good in TN and AL where we lived in that period tho. And then..... I seen the article where a guy in Michigan built one with huge tires, big (normal-looking) wheel wells, and a Boss 429 engine that was punched out to 460 cubic inches. He used a 75 model I think ....Unknown fellow y'all probably haven't heard of....Jack Roush, ha ! That guy built it like I wanted, but brains over-ruled wants, and we still have never owned one. I did arrange a sale for a lady I worked with in Smyrna, TN. to a guy in N.C. to buy her one owner black and gold King Cobra version in 1989. That thing was super clean and in near perfect condition, but it had more factory applied decals than the Trans-Ams. He gave her 3600 bucks for it and we all thought he was crazy, ha !

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                  ..... I seen the article where a guy in Michigan built one with huge tires, big (normal-looking) wheel wells, and a Boss 429 engine that was punched out to 460 cubic inches. He used a 75 model I think ....Unknown fellow y'all probably haven't heard of....Jack Roush, ha ! That guy built it like I wanted, but brains over-ruled wants, and we still have never owned one.
                  https://bangshift.com/general-news/c...rd-mustang-ii/

this one? never really a Ford guy myself but always thought this street brawler was killer. cheers, junior
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Yep, that's it junior.... but, I listed it as a Boss that had been stroked/ bored, and as you can see, it was a wedge engine. (mind is going I guess, ha !) Gotta' go drag out my old issue of Hot Rod and look at it again. I liked the car better in the white/ blue stripes that the other owner did best.

Comment

I had two Mustang ll because I got them real cheap, not the most interesting cars I've owned... & friends from the GB islands always say they couldn't have many fullsize US cars because the roads were so narrow & then I ask them how wide their busses & trucks are...
                      sigpic

Josephine
                      Champion V8
                      4d sedan

Comment

Servicing costs between BMW and Jaguar says it all. Thanks for sharing this video, Shoo-wop!

Comment

Working...
                        X