Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting James Dean re-creation

https://www.ibj.com/articles/new-fil...an-in-new-role
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I was discussing this with my son, who is a graphics / design professional. This has touched off a firestorm of protest within the industry, with implications far beyond just a simple movie. If technology can "revive" a dead movie star decades after his death for a feature film, then what's to stop the same technology being used to rewrite history using convincing depictions of historical figures saying or doing things that never actually took place?

An example already exists, in fact: a documentary about South African apartheid has been proposed, with a centerpiece being the use of this "reanimation" technology to depict Nelson Mandela taking place in reconstructed events that were not originally captured on film.

You can see the moral dilemma here. For an actor, the issue becomes about controlling your likeness, and other people making money from it, long after you have gone to the grave. For world history, the issue is much deeper and even more disturbing.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

So what exactly is James Dean doing in Vietnam? I believe he was long dead before our involvement in that war. Hollywood is out of fresh new ideas. Give me a break!

Comment

Disgusting. Though this is not new. Archive film of Presidents Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon were digitally “manipulated “ for scenes in Forrest Gump.

Comment

Working...
        X