Vintage English automotive review (that's not Top Gear!) - Pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage English automotive review (that's not Top Gear!) - Pilot

Well, given how I quite like cars of all stripes, it should be no surprise that I'll do this eventually. The mundane, ordinary sort of machines that your neighbors actually drove back in "the day" are all too often ignored and this English concern called "ThamesTV" does a pretty good job of showcasing them in my opinion. The goal of my posting this here is to show a bit of perspective as well as have a good time. I have access to plenty more content, so I'll go ahead and put these videos out on a weekly basis if you all want. Happy viewing!

Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

I've always been curious about different cars & I've had maaany... (About 15 years ago a pal aksed how many US cars I've had & we counted to more than 200, then there's European cars also...) & I've had some Alfa's too but the front wheel drive Alfasud was never conciderd real Alfas here, it was something a woman would buy just as any VW Golf to haul kids to school in.
    Ah, memories... The last one was a -61 Giulietta Sprint racer, took of like a Ducati...
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Comment

Keep them coming Jake... thanks. cheers, junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

What model year is that car? I am guessing either 1973 or 1974. If it came here at that time it would have BUMPERS and its power would be choked off.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          What model year is that car? I am guessing either 1973 or 1974. If it came here at that time it would have BUMPERS and its power would be choked off.
          It appears to be an Alfa Romeo 'Alfasud', a model that was never marketed in North America.

I recall our local Alfa dealer at the time was hoping and expecting the Alfasud to be sold here, as they didn't have a car comparable to the Fiat 128 at the time. Reportedly, Alfa Romeo North America had a few here for cold weather testing, etc., in the early 1970's. But a couple of years later when the car was 'Federalized' the Italian Lira which was in use back then rose in value to the point the Alfasud would not have been cost competitive with the current Japanese offerings, though they did market the larger and more expensive Alfetta sedan and coupe a few years later in North America.

Craig

Comment

Working...
          X