Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hulmans selling Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Among the things you thought you'd never see:

http://view.email.brickyard.com/?qs=a17ffd7a5dc1eb1a8aedcdd1440d6472e1f40a68477dff2f2765c12864eed8a8238292770e78 4bcfef47946c9a33f15f13483e9d7646f3c79c73eefaac0663d29d1f6e88eaf00a1955fad0041d70 d820

'Not sure what to make of this, but there you have it! BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-04-2019, 05:36 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Will Hulman's still own the property? Or does it belong to the city?

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 11-04-2019, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      Will Hulman's still own the property? Or does it belong to the city? Craig
      To the best of my knowledge, Craig, the city of Indianapolis (or the town of Speedway IN, which surrounds The Indianapolis Motor Speedway) has never owned the property.

It's simply a privately-owned piece of real estate that happens to have a famous race track and golf course on top of it. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If the property is privately owned, that makes it interesting. There is no mention the property is included in the sale of the company.

As I recall, when Avanti Motors was sold to Steve Blake in the early 1980`s, the Altman (or Newman) family still retained the building and the property.

Craig

Comment

At least it is going to Rodger Penske who will honor the history and meaningfulness of IMS. The Hulmans have been good people and the best to them. Bill

Comment

Pocket change for Roger....
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

More on this in today's Indianapolis Business Journal daily dispatch:

https://www.ibj.com/articles/penske-...ign=2019-11-04

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Wow! This is fascinating. I've been to the race many times and just love that place. One more reason to punch a ticket to the 2021 International!

Comment

Probably Indiana's best sportswriter, Mike Lopresti, had these reflections today:

https://www.ibj.com/articles/mike-lo...ign=2019-11-04

Ayn Rand:

Comment

All privately owned companies involved. With price of the property and cars AND production companies, I would not be surprised cost was $2 Billion.

Comment

It should be a good thing.

I have spent most of my life resenting Penske's domination of Indy car racing. But I just finished reading Mark Donohue's book "the unfair advantage" and recognize that Penske's success has been from doing the best job of preparing. I am softening toward Penske now

yes, It should be a good thing.
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

There will always be doubters but I cannot imagine a better person to own IMS.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                          There will always be doubters but I cannot imagine a better person to own IMS.
                          It's hard to feel negative about a guy that started with what Roger did, fell in love with racing and also built an empire around racing and good business dealings.

I listened to a somewhat knowledgeable individual today that was expanding on Penske's plans for the speedway and surrounding area, if it comes to fruition it will be a major change for the positive for this part of Indiana. Other cities should be so lucky as to have this investment.

Bob

Comment

I am excited to see them run F1 again and a 24 hour race.

Wooo hoooo!
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              Will Hulman's still own the property? Or does it belong to the city? Craig
                              Further clarification here, Craig, along with interesting plans.

(Geeze, Roger Penske will own 37% of the town of Speedway IN!)

https://www.ibj.com/articles/penskes...ign=2019-11-11

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X