1979 f100 ford pickup pitman arm spline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 f100 ford pickup pitman arm spline

I have installed a rebuilt steering gearbox on the pickup. I have two questions. First, the bolts through the frame holding the gearbox on were extremely hard to take out. Now that I have been trying to reinstall the bolts, they are even harder to turn. I have used a long bar but two of them are about 3/4 of an inch out and they are so tight that I am concerned about breaking them before they get tight against the side of the frame. The other question has to do with the pitman arm. It just will not slide up on the splined shaft. Is there a certain position that it has to be in to slide up on the splined shaft. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Hi I would take the steering box out and chase the threads with the correct size tap and try the bolts again with the box still out of the truck and yes some pitman arms will only go on one way

Comment

Thank you for getting back with me. The steering went out when I was on a country road and took me across the opposite lane which could have caused a head-on but nothing was coming, thank God! I put the new box on without the "coupler" thinking that I could do it after the gear box was on, and had to take it off and it was hard to get off with the bolts so tight. But not too tight so I am surprised at what I am dealing with now.
      It is still sitting along side the road where it headed in the first place since I do not want to pay a wrecker bill. Anyway, again thank you for getting back with me. Jimmie
      sigpicJimmie
      Orange County, Indiana
      1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Working...
      X