Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just read an article on popular mechanics, about an older Mercury with a Tesla power plant. Sorry that I don't have the link, but it should be easy to find.

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
      Do you mean Musk-type power beats Jet Thrust-type power? (This is all tongue-in-cheek!)

Just like e-mail and old-fashioned mail (which used to be picked up/delivered twice daily in some jurisdictions), e-mail isn't necessarily better, just faster and more convenient. Ok , the e-mail is less polluting, but the jury is still deliberating on the carbon footprint of e-car purchase and ownership (which also depends on the jurisdiction {how your power is generated}).

So, my 110 hp six cylinder, reciprocating, spark ignition, ICE-powered '61 Champ will get run over by an 110 hp electric-powered '61 Champ. So what. l will know what it feels like to drive a piece of history - a REAL Studebaker and all that that means. And it means something. Otherwise, a Champ truck is not even a convenient place to put an electric motor and battery set-up. So then what will Champ trucks, or Avantis or Golden Hawks , etc. become if re-powered with amps and volts? Well, they will then have something in common with bug zappers - and have a WHOLE LOT in common with an up-scale golf cart!

In the further future, as long as l can find the right parts , the right fluids, and insurance all at a "middle-class-affordable" price, and the Champ is not legislated out from under me, lll take my Stude to the corner store with my grandkids for ice cream (option vinyl upholstery is present) and love to able to listen to the slight clicking of the solid lifters, feel the friction point of the clutch, wait for the proper RPM's to make the appropriate gear changes and rejoice in that satisfying drop in "revs" when the overdrive is engaged, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
      I agree with you Stewdi : there is nothing like the sound of that Stude engine making the wonderful sounds it does. I (and I would assume most people) would not expect you to replace your perfectly-running ICE engine with an electric. However, there are many car enthusiasts who are going to do exactly that in the coming years.

And yes, driving a 61 Champ with the ICE engine IS driving a piece of history (and its lot of fun). Cant electric motors become a part of that history?

There are plenty of old cars of all makes that have had the engines replaced with newer ICE engines. Some with newfangled technology like electronic fuel ignition, computers and the like. Are those more accepted JUST because they are ICE engines and not electric?

Thanks for the friendly debate about where this hobby/lifestyle is going

Comment

The development of a drop in crate electric was an inevitability. And the battery technology is exploding so fast there will come a time when it won't make sense not to.
        But, while it will probably keep more old cars on the road than not, I doubt it will convert any dyed-in-the-wool gear-head.
        I can see putting one in a Lark, but not in a Golden Hawk or Skyway President .
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Just for the record, the correct abbreviation for an internal combustion engine is IC, as in IC engine. ICE Is using the word ‘engine’ twice, as in internal combustion engine engine.

I agree though, one of the greatest things in my life is the sound of engines. I love to hear a racing engine at full song, doing what it was meant to do. I also love my flat head six cylinder lark engine that you can barely hear running, but if you listen close it has the sweetest purr. And with the exception of the horrible fart can foreign engines, pretty much everything in between. All of these are under attack. And it’s becoming clearer every day that their days are numbered. We all need to enjoy them now as much as we can.

I guess the bright side is, when everything is converted to electric motors, everybody will finally be referring to their power plant by the proper name because it will actually be a motor, not an engine being called a motor :-)
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob, why do you think that old cars are under attack?
            That seems rather drastic.

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
              Bob, why do you think that old cars are under attack?
              That seems rather drastic.
              Must be you haven’t been paying attention.

It is well documented that there is an entire movement that has expressed active hatred of internal combustion powered automobiles of all kinds. These are the people that are constantly pushing for more regulations and restrictions on all cars, especially classic cars: they call them ‘gross polluters’. The insanity has gotten to the level where not only do they not want people having the freedom of choosing their own transportation, they have gone completely off their rocker and want to ban cows because they are ‘causing climate change’ and force everybody to eat weeds and twigs and look sickly and nervous like them. It’s the same people that come up with stupidity like ‘carbon credits’ and irrational manufacturer mileage requirements, and resist cheap and plentiful fuel sources like pipelines and fracking in the name of pure hysteria. Combine it with young people who have historically low interest in cars, and certainly won’t resist the forces coming against them, and the writing is on the wall.

As of now they are mostly being countered. But it stands to reason that they will eventually succeed in banning fossil fuel power. Then they will allow a few of our prized cars as static museum displays, and the rest will have to go. The best we can do is love and enjoy our cars as much as possible. And in my case, hope the forces of evil can be resisted at least until my time on this earth has ended.

if you haven’t seen any of this very public information, you've not been paying attention.
              Last edited by Bob Andrews; 10-23-2019, 07:51 PM.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Boats, RV campers, motorcycles, off-road atv's, all racing, and "classic" cars and trucks - anything recreational will be the first to go l suppose. But l'm going to resist converting my Studes before any other recreational vehicles! Then it will be residential and smallish lawn and garden equipment, all golf carts, chain saws, etc., etc., up and down the line until the earth will be covered in solar panels and electrical transmission wiring!
                Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Whoa. I wasnt expecting that much tin-foil hat rhetoric.

Comment

Bob is using Reynolds and l'm using Alcan. That way we get an international perspective!
                    Last edited by STEWDI; 10-24-2019, 09:19 PM.
                    Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Thought posting a pic would be easier with the new format, guess it's the same as before so I'll have to wait for a 10 year old grand kid. Haven't figured it out yet and no grand kids on the way. Ten years and I'll be 76 so I still can be optimistic.
                      "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                      R.W. Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
                      Whoa. I wasnt expecting that much tin-foil hat rhetoric.
                      It might be good if you define what you think ‘tin-foil hat rhetoric’ is. To most people, it infers irrational fear... None of which applies to the facts I laid out above. But if the scary reality is precluding you from from actually studying this yourself, I’ll get you started:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile..../idUSKBN1X403N

Pull quote: “The plan would award $392 billion in subsidies for owners of gasoline-powered vehicles at least eight years old and in driving condition to trade them in for electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid or fuel-cell cars, the statement said. The old vehicles would be scrapped.”

Sorry to be the one to wake anybody up to this, but this eventuality is very real. Rational people will only be able to hold it off for so long.

To repeat what I said above, it’s time to stop nitpicking, especially about lesser valuable brands like Studebaker, and just enjoy them as much as we can, any way we can.
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

There was a very informative piece in our local newspaper just this morning about what commercial air traffic is looking to do to minimize pollution (commercial electric airplanes won't work yet and for the foreseable future). And they estimate that they'd need an area the size of Australia to cultivate enuff plant life to supply today's air industry with bio-fuel!
                        The solution so far: a hydrogen-based fuel, and minimizing the production of contrails (which by themselves have about a 2.5% effect on climate change) .
                        Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

It might be good if you define what you think ‘tin-foil hat rhetoric’ is. To most people, it infers irrational fear... None of which applies to the facts I laid out above. But if the scary reality is precluding you from from actually studying this yourself, I’ll get you started:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile..../idUSKBN1X403N

Pull quote: “The plan would award $392 billion in subsidies for owners of gasoline-powered vehicles at least eight years old and in driving condition to trade them in for electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid or fuel-cell cars, the statement said. The old vehicles would be scrapped.”

Sorry to be the one to wake anybody up to this, but this eventuality is very real. Rational people will only be able to hold it off for so long.

To repeat what I said above, it’s time to stop nitpicking, especially about lesser valuable brands like Studebaker, and just enjoy them as much as we can, any way we can.
                          They are offering to provide a way for people to trade in older cars and get a rebate towards buying an electric car. How is that an attack on vintage vehicles? Is a government agency (either state or federal) going to be created that confiscates your vehicle and forces you to get an electric? Please explain as I dont see the connection.

Comment

Shuttin’ it down. Politics and climate change are specifically prohibited topics.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                            X