This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New electric car motor

I just read that there's going to be a new electric motor with transmission available next year, and the company is emphasizing its use in collectible cars. It only produces 110hp, so I can't see many owners with a 289 swapping it out, but it might be ideal for replacing the sixes. Any thoughts?
    peter lee

This little fella - https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...E5P?li=BBnbfcL

Comment

Maybe the ElectricGT : https://www.electricgt.com/electric-...ma-swap-ready/

Comment

The first one would be loads of fun in a VW Beetle.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The second one, front and rear in an AWD Studebaker would also be a blast!
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

They are interesting, and seem to be the way of the future. It would need a lot of space for a battery pack, that is designed into electric vehicles chassis, and it would need to include the electric speed control. You would also have to add electric power steering, if required, and some sort of electric heat, and air conditioning. This is all available, but it's not as simple as just dropping in a new power plant, and driving off with it.

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
              I just read that there's going to be a new electric motor with transmission available next year, and the company is emphasizing its use in collectible cars. It only produces 110hp, so I can't see many owners with a 289 swapping it out, but it might be ideal for replacing the sixes. Any thoughts?
              Two things;
              1) That is the current net HP rating and not the way that your 1956 was rated.
              2) Electric motors/cars have all of their torque right away (upon starting off). If you have driven one, you will understand the effect.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

When I decided to do the M5 the first plan was to drop in one of our Bonneville race engines (built by Dave Molnar)-- the 182 CI V8. Then I did the math and with little power and no torque under 5 grand, it would make a lousy street engine in anything but a T-Bucket. So I started researching electric options (this is in 2009) and found that it would be a total R&D effort, the batteries would be expensive, and the range would be limited. With that idea out the window I found a '64 259 at Tom K.'s had Dave Molnar clean it up and that got shoe-horned in. I've always said when that engine dies I'll be looking for a wrecked Tesla. This seems pretty interesting, though.

Now what I've always wanted to do is put an electric engine in the back of a model A and stick a resin block up front -- the kind you dress up in the speed shop to show off what the speed parts will look like installed -- and let people freak out when they realize it's not even a real engine yet the car runs.

Comment

Like it or not, this is the future of the hobby. Even then, it will only be a delay of the inevitable by forces that want all automobiles, including personally operated vehicles, eliminated.

Currently, we are in a reprieve on this craziness. But at some point, those crazies are liable to get back into power.

This is why it’s time to put aside criticizing what other people want to do to their collector cars. We all need to enjoy them while we can. The end of it all is closer than people want to admit.
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

On a quick review of the site sweetolbob linked us to, I don't see any info on battery requirements or very much hard information, Maybe I just didn't drill deep enough. I suspect the conversion would be an ambitious project.

Has anyone seen or heard of a Tesla/Studebaker conversion yet?

I did check outside and see that the sky hasn't fallen yet

Bob Andrews is probably right, the electrics may be the future of the hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by JimKB1MCV View Post

Bob Andrews is probably right, the electrics may be the future of the hobby.
                      Possibly, but it will need a good stereo system so I can play the sounds of a Stroker engine at high volume.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

Two things;
                        1) That is the current net HP rating and not the way that your 1956 was rated.
                        2) Electric motors/cars have all of their torque right away (upon starting off). If you have driven one, you will understand the effect.
                        To expand on this: the 110HP is for an electric motor is VERY different than HP for an ICE motor. Since the torque for an electric is instantaneous, it doesnt translate the way you think it would. You can google the difference as to how HP applies to electric and ICE engines, there are plenty of articles about it. The Tesla model 3 top of the line model only has 271HP and can blow the doors off almost every hot rod out there.

But overall, sometime soon (5-10 years maybe?) someone is going to make an affordable electric system. And it seems that a lot of companies are already trying to find that magic combination to swap in. Yes, you have to make room and weight accommodations for batteries; but if they make the motor small enough, and with battery tech getting smaller and smaller- its only a matter of time before there is a reasonable alternative to ICE engines.

I know that plenty of hot rodders will stay with ICE engines. The new kids (and some old codgers too) ARE going to modify their vehicles however they want- some of those are going to be electric. Maybe more than people think.

Comment

Do you mean Musk-type power beats Jet Thrust-type power? (This is all tongue-in-cheek!)

Just like e-mail and old-fashioned mail (which used to be picked up/delivered twice daily in some jurisdictions), e-mail isn't necessarily better, just faster and more convenient. Ok , the e-mail is less polluting, but the jury is still deliberating on the carbon footprint of e-car purchase and ownership (which also depends on the jurisdiction {how your power is generated}).

So, my 110 hp six cylinder, reciprocating, spark ignition, ICE-powered '61 Champ will get run over by an 110 hp electric-powered '61 Champ. So what. l will know what it feels like to drive a piece of history - a REAL Studebaker and all that that means. And it means something. Otherwise, a Champ truck is not even a convenient place to put an electric motor and battery set-up. So then what will Champ trucks, or Avantis or Golden Hawks , etc. become if re-powered with amps and volts? Well, they will then have something in common with bug zappers - and have a WHOLE LOT in common with an up-scale golf cart!

In the further future, as long as l can find the right parts , the right fluids, and insurance all at a "middle-class-affordable" price, and the Champ is not legislated out from under me, lll take my Stude to the corner store with my grandkids for ice cream (option vinyl upholstery is present) and love to able to listen to the slight clicking of the solid lifters, feel the friction point of the clutch, wait for the proper RPM's to make the appropriate gear changes and rejoice in that satisfying drop in "revs" when the overdrive is engaged, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                          61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                          Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                          Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Well said, STEWDI. I think most of us drive them for the same reason. It's an experience, and people around us appreciate the chance to see what a 60 year old car was like. A trip to the store, or ice cream stand always seems to spark up a conversation with somebody that enjoys seeing it.

Comment

I am looking forward to being able to drop a quiet electric motor into my car. I think it would be a blast to drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X