X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    I told them my favorite activity was scrounging around in junk yards full of old cars. That pretty well ended that line of conversation.
    Reading this reminded me – we are not alone. There are always kindred spirits to be found.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    As my contemporaries and I enter full geezer-dom, some of them move to "adult" communities with various levels of support and care. One thing they all seem to have in common is a lot of activities designed to appeal to the senior citizen. One couple we know raved about their new home, where they spend their days in both organized activities (tours, movie nights) and free time to play bridge and use the swimming pool. They said that they had looked at other such facilities that focused on different activities, and asked me what I like to do in my spare time. I told them my favorite activity was scrounging around in junk yards full of old cars. That pretty well ended that line of conversation.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
    I enjoyed the video over morning coffee. Very happy to see that it all worked out for Suzie. LOL When I was a youngster, my father had a small service station, and tow truck. He had a yard full of wrecked cars, but quite a few were just older high mileage cars, that people wanted removed from their yards. I spent plenty of time in that yard, dreaming of fixing different cars up to drive. I guess it caused an addiction, that I have not recovered from. I also like to save, or see cars saved from the crusher.
    Absolutely the same. I predict that this love will be my ultimate financial downfall.

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    I enjoyed the video over morning coffee. Very happy to see that it all worked out for Suzie. LOL When I was a youngster, my father had a small service station, and tow truck. He had a yard full of wrecked cars, but quite a few were just older high mileage cars, that people wanted removed from their yards. I spent plenty of time in that yard, dreaming of fixing different cars up to drive. I guess it caused an addiction, that I have not recovered from. I also like to save, or see cars saved from the crusher.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Sometimes the antenna is on the left, like a Studebaker, and sometimes it is on the right, like most others.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Kinda the story of my own Josephine's life..!
    (Exept her saver aint that awfully young anymore.)
    I sure remember that film from my childhood.
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 10-17-2019, 09:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by JimK View Post
    I remember seeing this as a kid, probably as a short feature at a movie theater. Definitely a classic.
    I don't remember watching this particular cartoon, but I do remember seeing a number of Ad Council, and AAA-sponsored, 'Otto the Auto' cartoons from the same era promoting traffic safety, where the cars were also 'alive' like this one.

Disney's modern day equivalent would be their full-length movie, 'Cars'.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 10-16-2019, 05:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Stude Shoo-wop!
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    This is irrefutable proof that contrary to popular belief automobiles are in fact sentient beings. And, why it’s my mission to save as many as I can.

Poor little Suzy. While it is a cartoon rendering, I picture her to be a little blue Lark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pTF6v3ejaJQ
    Not too long ago, I spotted a '63 Lark in a very bright shade of blue just like Susie barreling down Beeline Highway back home. It was the first time that I had actually seen a Lark in person, so it was doubly cool at that moment.

Leave a comment:

• JimK
    replied
    I remember seeing this as a kid, probably as a short feature at a movie theater. Definitely a classic.

Leave a comment:

• 6hk71400
    replied
    When my 3 children were young, I picked up a VHS copy of this at the local video store (remember those?) in the bargain bin for a dollar. Narrated by Sterling Hollaway (Winnie the Poah) I could immediately see Suzy was a bullet nose Studebaker convertible.

I have seen modified bullet nose cars that look just like the car being rescued at the end of the cartoon. My wife can't understand but my Studebaker does know me. She also hates it when I say "well, Studebaker baled us out again" when a situation comes up that the Studebaker is pressed into emergency service. Some things are beyond understanding for some people.

Bob Miles

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    I never doubted it.
    You would be surprised, but there are people that do not agree.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    I never doubted it.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    started a topic Susie the little blue coupe

Susie the little blue coupe

This is irrefutable proof that contrary to popular belief automobiles are in fact sentient beings. And, why it’s my mission to save as many as I can.

Poor little Susie. While it is a cartoon rendering, I picture her to be a little blue Lark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pTF6v3ejaJQ
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 10-16-2019, 03:54 AM.
Working...
X