Electric Car Owners Shocked By California Power Blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Car Owners Shocked By California Power Blackouts

https://56packardman.com/2019/10/15/...nia-blackouts/ Click image for larger version

Name:	Elon Musk rescues CA.png
Views:	294
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1806690

This is what happens when a new and substantial demand is placed upon an already over-capacity electrical grid. I don't think that the nation's electrical grid has been substantially updated since the late 1980s.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

This in addition to losing all those frozen groceries, an old man dying, and finding out solar panels don't work when the grid goes down. Californiastan is a failure.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

A similar thing happened in New York when Hurricane Sandy came through in 2012. No electric cars to speak of, but people were literally roaming the streets looking for someplace to charge their phones.

Comment

Nearly two years ago I had a standby generator installed for the power interruptions that are common here. Within three weeks a storm roared through and the area was without power for a day and a half. I heard later people living in my area were talking about being in the dark and how my home was lit up. Since then the electric contractor that installed my gen set has installed numerous other units nearby.

I sleep with a Bi-Pap machine with oxygen and need consistent power generation. I sleep much better at night knowing the gen set is standing by waiting to help if necessary.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
            I sleep much better at night knowing the gen set is standing by waiting to help if necessary.
            I had mine installed about a year ago, they have become fairly reasonable to install. Wish I would have bought Generac stock about the same time.

Nice to either wake up with power or knowing if we leave for a month or so in below freezing conditions all will be well. It may not keep a failed furnace running but the sensors will have power that give plenty of warning if the heat fails and time to have the repair folks clean up the problems.

Comment

No political comments please.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Showbiz, you consider these to be political?

Comment

• showbizkid
                  showbizkid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I want to ward it off before it happens.

A friend from an island in the Caribbean told me that his family back home was using portable generators for months and months after the hurricane took out their electrical infrastructure. The problem with them is the power is a little dirtier than what you get out of the wall resulting in appliances that needed replacing after a period of time. They actually wore out 2 generators from constant use before power was restored!

Comment

Well all I have to say is that trying getting your car filled with gasoline when there is a power outage for any length of time. If your local gas station doesn't have a back up source for electric to power the gas pumps.

John S.

Comment

Originally posted by BobWaitz View Post
                    A similar thing happened in New York when Hurricane Sandy came through in 2012.
                    In eastern PA when Sandy came through - power came on after day 7... Neighbor let us borrow his generator during the day and would fill it up for him to use at night to make sure freezer/fridge were doing their thing. By day four, I had my car parked right next to the living room window, with a converter plugged into the lighter, an extension cord running in the window, and the TV on just to see what was going on...

Comment

Originally posted by BobWaitz View Post
                      A friend from an island in the Caribbean told me that his family back home was using portable generators for months and months after the hurricane took out their electrical infrastructure. The problem with them is the power is a little dirtier than what you get out of the wall resulting in appliances that needed replacing after a period of time. They actually wore out 2 generators from constant use before power was restored!
                      I know of some areas in Florida where the well-heeled property owners will have three generators installed. The areas could be without power for extended periods and the three generators are used in a rotating fashion to reduce wear and tear and allow maintenance to be performed during such long interruptions. It's a good system if one can afford it.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        I know of some areas in Florida where the well-heeled property owners will have three generators installed.
                        One of my neighbors has a generator for his big house.
                        He asked his accountant if he could get a second generator for his 12 horse stable w/apartment (and well).
                        His accountant said that no tax deduction could be taken on a second generator.
                        I asked him if he had a portable welder out in the workshop. He said no.
                        He asked his accountant if he could get a portable welder for the stable workshop.
                        "Sure thing" said the accountant...

(opinion) For the rural types, it is the well that is needed most.
                        If you can't flush, you can't stay. And one freezer full of rotted food would almost pay for a decent generator.
                        And if you have medications that require refrigeration, the generator could be a lifesaver.

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 10-20-2019, 04:56 AM.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                        X