Favorite BMC car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
    voxnut, I love those big MG sedans too, but never had one. We have, however, had our little 63 Mini since 1987, and until we moved over here where you MUST climb steep hills to get anywhere, I never realized how under-powered the little guy is.....That did help me while living in TN and AL tho', I could race anyone, even the cops, and they never knew it , ha !
    Ha ha! That's awesome - I had a Triumph Herald that I was constantly in active competition with all other vehicles, even if they had no clue.
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

Comment

I happen to currently own 4 of them. I have 2 1977 MGBs, one with a stock 1.8l 4 cylinder, and the other with a 302 ford V8. The others are a 1979 triumph TR7, and a 1969 TR6.

For me, these are the common BMC offerings that are cheap but fun. I would love to have the more uncommon ones, like a big MG sedan, a Wolseley, etc. Also have a soft spot for a bugeye. With the family in toe, an old London taxi maybe. The choices are bigger than my property and budget allows.

Comment

Yep, alex54, you are right, property size can be an issue for "saving the wretched"...... A really good friend called me yesterday afternoon and said his neighbor had an 80 MGB that he needed to get out of his garage ASAP since he had sold the house. Said it just needed some fiddling, very light rust in the usual places, but ran good, and he thought 300 bucks would do the job purchasing it. I told him if he ever called me again with a deal like that, knowing full well that I couldn't get it, I would slip up there and set fire to his Vette, ha !

Comment

Lucas, known as the "Prince of Darkness."

Comment

Speaking of Lucas, WinM1895, of all the British and a couple of Italian cars we ever had, only two times was I "road-sided" by electrical gremlins. Once in our Mini, the tiny wire that goes to the points broke, then one night as my wife was driving our Sunbeam Tiger for the 1st time, the headlights went out. She holler'd "what do I do now" and I told her to 1st slow down, then try the dimmer switch. It was the switch, and when I pulled it off to replace it later, it was a Blue Streak ( American) brand, ha ! I know, that just means someone else had already replaced it once before probably... Remember, the Lucas 3 position switch bumper sticker ? Flicker, Dim, and Off. Oh yeah, if you want to feel safer when you fly, try to remember that Lucas makes an enormous amount of aircraft parts too, ha !

Comment

Triumph TR3,..........technically Standard-Triumph became part of Leyland Motors, which merged with BMC (technically by that time called British Motor Holdings) to form British Lelyand Motor Corp.

My TR3A has been in our family since 1965.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                Triumph TR3,..........technically Standard-Triumph became part of Leyland Motors, which merged with BMC (technically by that time called British Motor Holdings) to form British Lelyand Motor Corp.
                Standard-Triumph and Leyland Motors merged in 1961 to form 'Triumph-Leyland'. The big merger of British Motor Holdings (which took on that name with BMC's purchase of Jaguar and Pressed Steel in 1966) and Triumph-Leyland was in 1968, with the backing of Harold Wilson's Labor Party government which was in power in England at the time.

It there ever was a case of 'Two drunks trying to help each other across the street', this was it!

Craig

Comment

Craig, we bought a little 1947 Standard Flying 8 Tourer back in the 80s...Never did drive it in the road because it always blew out the #3 spark plug if it was rev'd up.. It was such a neat looking little car, super low mileage as the old folks we got it from had moved to TN from New York city and said our towns were too far apart and the roads were too steep. It even still had the Dunlop cotton fiber tires on it ! I thought it was an Anglia when we 1st got a glance of it behind a sheet of plywood, the looked almost exactly alike except for the Standards "waterfall" grille. Another one I wish I still had...........

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                    Craig, we bought a little 1947 Standard Flying 8 Tourer back in the 80s... I thought it was an Anglia when we 1st got a glance of it behind a sheet of plywood, the looked almost exactly alike except for the Standards "waterfall" grille.
                    Yes, I can see a resemblance to the Anglia:

Craig

Comment

Yep Craig, only having ever seen Anglias in person, I first thought the little car was just a different year when I spotted it.. Look up a pic of the Flying 8 Tourer if you get a chance, they are real cuties, and I still can't post on stovehuggers to show mine or anything else, as I'm too cranky or weak minded to learn .... Oh well. Thanks for the pics, and we did get a 48 Anglia ( mine had the "Populars" two slat grille instead of the three slats) after we moved here to Hawaii too, but it and a few more bucks turned into my 55 Stude coupe, ha !

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Yes, I can see a resemblance to the Anglia:

Craig
                        If you're just hankering for a pre-war British motor, I found a 1939 Hillman Minx saloon in good nick on Facebook Marketplace for $8,500. Why don't you take a gander?
                        https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5050701394359/
                        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post

If you're just hankering for a pre-war British motor, I found a 1939 Hillman Minx saloon in good nick on Facebook Marketplace for $8,500. Why don't you take a gander?
                          https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5050701394359/
                          Steering wheel is on the wrong side!

Craig

Comment

Now Craig, you know good and well that the steering wheel is actually on the "right" side, ha ! One of our Anglias was that way, never had an issue other than merging !

Comment

If I wasn't up to my a$$ in Studebaker projects, I'd be restoring this 1951 Austin A-40 Jensen-bodied Tourer.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                                If I wasn't up to my a$$ in Studebaker projects, I'd be restoring this 1951 Austin A-40 Jensen-bodied Tourer.

Craig
                                I came across one of these in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I should have bought it. They are not very quick, 1500cc and 4 speed column shift like my Somerset. Would have been a nicer car than my A40 though. I'd like a Jowett Jupiter though.

Comment

Working...
                                X