Trinitron goes to the dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinitron goes to the dump

For way too many years, I had an old Sony 13" Trinitron TV stored in the attic. I bought it new about 1972, used it for many years, hauled it back and forth across the country, and kept it because it was a really good TV - in its day. It had not been used in a long time, and my wife finally convinced me it was time for it to go and give up its space in the storage area. I hauled it downstairs, placed it next to the door, ready to go to the dump on Saturday. Just before putting it in the car, I plugged it in and turned it on. The Trinitron tube lit up with static, so the all-transistor design still functioned after 47 years. But, there was no picture or sound on any VHF or UHF channel. The old TV only received analog stations and all of those are gone. The old TV station frequencies have been re-allocated to other uses, so what we used to tune through is devoid of anything an old analog set can display. It was kind of eerie thinking about a working TV that could no longer get any kind of signal at all, just a static hiss and random dots on the screen.

Accompanying the TV to the dump were my old Canon PC-20 copier and HP LaserJet II printer (circa 1988 with extra memory and two font cartridges). What great boat anchors those were, but they also worked well in their day.

The Trinitron was about the best of the old cathode ray tubes for sharp, bright display of color TV and computer monitors. The last Trinitron TV was made about 2006. The king is dead, long live the king!
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

I've got an D-to-A box I coulda let you have . . . . .
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Makes me think of the first TV that our family had. It was an Air King 17 inch rectangular (when most were round tube). It was bought new in 1951. When Cathy and I got married in 1963, we used it until 1969 when we bought an RCA color TV (fairly early). The Air King continued to work until the switch over in TV signals. It went with my father's house in about 2008.

EDIT: I finally went with a flat screen TV a few years ago. I had an RCA 32 inch CRT TV that was old but kept working. I had forgotten how much it weighed. When I had trouble moving it, I looked it up. It weighed more than I weigh.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the offer, Skip, but the Trinitron is better off in TV heaven. My new 65" LG OLED TV will knock your socks off with HD images. It gets cable TV channels, a little over-the-air digital broadcast signals with a small antenna, and can surf the web, as well. I can even change channels by talking to it. But, we keep driving our Studebakers!
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

My 13" Zenith bought in 1979 still works with the convertor box, but only pulls in about nine over-the-air stations.
          While I am wondering what to do with a perfectly good 30" Samsung digital plasma TV that weighs over a hundred pounds; replaced when someone gifted me a 32" nine pound flat screen.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
            Thanks for the offer, Skip, but the Trinitron is better off in TV heaven. My new 65" LG OLED TV will knock your socks off with HD images. It gets cable TV channels, a little over-the-air digital broadcast signals with a small antenna, and can surf the web, as well. I can even change channels by talking to it. But, we keep driving our Studebakers!
            Those OLEDs are really nice, but I'm too cheap to buy one. I got a 65" TCL 4k from Costco for $700 that is nearly as good of a picture. Along with 4k service from Directv I'm a happy camper.
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Like some of you, my parents were raised during the Depression, when one learned to make do. I was taught that one did not throw anything away until it was worn out -- until then, one fixed it or had it fixed. So I'm having trouble with throwing away functioning TVs or perfectly good household items. Yet Craig's List ads usually produce no responses, even as give-aways. I guess we're all too rich.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                Like some of you, my parents were raised during the Depression, when one learned to make do. I was taught that one did not throw anything away until it was worn out -- until then, one fixed it or had it fixed.
                Back then, things were able to be fixed, and repair parts were cheap, or at least reasonable.

Most of all the new stuff on the market now is NOT exactly 'user serviceable', especially with solid state electronics governing their operation. Everything from cars to stoves to furnaces to vacuum cleaners all have circuit boards, which is what often quits working. And a replacement circuit board can be 85% as much as the cost of a whole new unit, not to mention, lack of availability as they cost so much, even wholesale, where no supplier is going to keep one 'in stock' on the shelf. A few years ago, someone I work with had the circuit board on his 5-year old Frigidare cooktop die, and was told a one-week delivery time. With two young kids and a wife who would not put up with a cooktop out of operation for a week, he ended up replacing it.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post

Those OLEDs are really nice, but I'm too cheap to buy one. I got a 65" TCL 4k from Costco for $700 that is nearly as good of a picture. Along with 4k service from Directv I'm a happy camper.
                  I've got the 75 inch version of the TCL from Costco and it' a lot of TV for the money. Beautiful picture but limited by the cable company to "kinda" 1080 P. It upscales what it can well but a 4K movie will really let it do well.

Comment

Filling space in my 70's era oak wall unit is a 27" Philips CRT. I bought it about 5 years ago at a thrift store for $7. I figured since it was known working TV it was wiser than hauling home a bunch of "Free" Craigslist TV's that may or may not work. The only time it gets used is when my son comes home from college.

Craigslist did provide me with a free 34," 16/9 wide screen Toshiba HDTV of the CRT variety. A 156 pound BEAST I took a DVD player out to the car and tested it before dragging it into the house. It lasted about 3 years and then failed. Not wanting to bother my neighbor to move it again I attempted to "walk" it off a 5 ft high dresser by stepping it down on a cascade of milk crates (image below). Turned out..., I still needed the neighbors help.

We can not get over the air TV even though we are only about 50 miles out of Los Angeles. So, cable it is. Thankfully we have an older cable box that still connects to NTSC devices. The BEST investment I ever made was a Hauppauge HR-850 USB TV decoder. I just screw the cable box coax into one end and connect the other end to my computer USB. My computer goes on at 7AM and runs until 11PM and the Hauppauge is going 99% of the time. Basically I get to watch TV without the cost of turning the TV on. I just finished watching "Leave it to Beaver" and we have gone on to "Perry Mason" as I'm typing right now.

So, for now CRT and NTSC lives on at our house. That said we do have a 48" LED flat screen and a Roku. Sort of like we have a Studebaker and a Honda Civic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TV on Crates.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.2 KB ID:	1806591

Last edited by wittsend; 10-14-2019, 09:42 AM.
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I hate owning a television which is smarter than I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                        I hate owning a television which is smarter than I am.
                        And watching you watching it!!

Comment

My Mom's 2001 Sony 32" finally got hauled off to recycling this summer:

It failed Nov 2017 and I was supposed to haul it home for free disposal in 2018 before my truck was wrecked so it had to sit in her living room another year. In her rural area I would have to pay $25 and haul it about 30 miles to get rid of it the approved way. The beast weighed like 165lbs. I rolled (flopped) it end over end out the patio door where the neighbor with a skid loader was waiting to carry it to my trailer. It was getting pretty tired before the end came with a hard failure and the picture quality was degraded. I salvaged the power cord and speakers out of it.

I've got a 19" Zenith from 1995 and a 20" RCA from 2007 here as well as a 13" Emerson from 1989. None are in current use but all worked fine last time they were used. All were gifts. I do have a couple of the converter boxes. I think the only TV I ever actually bought was my 9" B/W portable that I used in school in the 80s. I barely watch any TV at all anymore and lately when I do I use a TV tuner box attached to my desktop PC. Gets the local broadcasts or news if I care. That item was found in the recycling, probably the last owner tossed it when they could not get it to work with a new PC is my guess.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Ironic that I'm reading this as I watch a 747-400 fly by on its way to SEA-TAC. The "Queen of the Sky" is no longer. Freighter versions are still being built but the end of the line is well within sight.
                            "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                            R.W. Emerson

Comment

You know somewhere in LA there is a warehouse full of just about every old TV and computer monitor you can imagine and a group of prop guys devoted to making sure your TV program or movie has exactly the right TV in the scene for the year portrayed. But there will still be plenty of opportunities in the future to say things like, "Nobody had flat-screen LED TV's in 1997. They really screwed that one up!"

Comment

Working...
                              X