Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 Fastest High Speed Trains in the World 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzv_wQBkSvM

Thanks Bill. The US was a leader in the 1960s, but then we decided to leave the field.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

I was watching NHK TV this morning and aerial shots showed a number of Japanese bullet trains partly submerged in the flooding. The damage was caused by the typhoon that hit hard in the middle of Japan.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

We were on the Frecciarossa last summer Florence to Rome. Smooth, quiet, on time. 190 MPH.

We ride Amtrak often from San Jose to San Luis Obispo. 185 miles A 2 3/4 hour trip by car...5+ hours by train. Rarely on time, rockin' and rollin' the whole way. Cheaper than renting a car and driving, and more relaxing, but a far cry from trains in the rest of the world.

I was going to say we are a 3rd world country when it comes to train travel, but I've ridden in more comfortable and faster trains in India so maybe we are not even to 3rd world status in that category.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Paul,
          Thanks for linking me to the pictures of the devastation of the trains. I can only imagine the costs involved in that much damage.
          Hopefully personal injury was kept to a minimum.
          Bill

Comment

Unless I missed something, all are electric powered, either from overhead wires or a third track rail; in countries that actively pursue clean, sustainable electricity production.
            And one is even manufactured of sustainable, renewable components.
            There's no doubt in my mind the United States has chosen to maintain its transportation system in the dark ages. Apparently there is someone who profits from that. But it's not us.
            High speed rail proposals have been bounced around in the U.S. for decades and, with few exceptions, never get past a legislature. And that's an economic comment; not a political one.
            Last edited by rockne10; 10-13-2019, 12:29 PM.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Nearly all those shown have been built in the last 50-60 years (first was in Japan in the 60s) on brand-new, dedicated rights-of-way. They do not share the track with local passenger trains or freight. This requires both a (large) dedicated source of funding and a willingness to use eminent domain authority to assemble new, arrow-straight routes.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
              X