Strange gasoline pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange gasoline pricing

I am just a few miles north of Virginia. Gasoline has always been a lot cheaper there. Coming back yesterday from our Potomac Chapter Fall Tour I decided to top off my Avanti tank before I got back to West Virginia. Cost me $3.399 per gallon for 93 Octane. In Front Royal 87 octane was mostly $2.209 per gallon. This evening I drove over by our local 7-11 and 93 octane there is $3.059.
    ???
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

You need to stop by SoCal and buy gas..!
    You'll add a dollar+ to each of those prices.

Mike

Comment

When in Ft. Lauderdale, I can get non ethanol fuel at the pump, what a difference even with my 63 GT Hawk; non jet thrust engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
        You need to stop by SoCal and buy gas..!
        You'll add a dollar+ to each of those prices.

Mike
        Yea, the local Chevron station is at $4.19 for - Regular. And even the cheapest Arco is $3.99 for Regular. But that is what happens when your state legislates that what comes out of the tail pipe must be "fresh air."
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I run 110 or 100 leaded in my Avanti, pricey but it loves it. As for regular gas prices vary in my area by twenty or thirty cents with miles of each. Costco is constantly the least expensive.
          Mike
          Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

We discuss this every time there is a gas increase but it comes down to getting the ethanol out of gas. Non ethanol gas here in the Puget Sound area is going for ~ $4.50 a gallon. Regular crap gas / ethanol laced is now going for $3.39 a gallon. Improve mileage, improve emissions, less impact on the environment, just remove the ethanol, but wait, Archer, Daniels, Midland and Iowa farmers are standing between making an intelligent decision vs. continuing this ridiculous charade. Unfortunately the American mindset has equated ethanol = good vs the destruction on the environment, equipment, and the consumer's pocketbook.
            "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
            R.W. Emerson

Comment

Upstate NY...$2.49/gal regular...

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
                I run 110 or 100 leaded in my Avanti, pricey but it loves it. As for regular gas prices vary in my area by twenty or thirty cents with miles of each. Costco is constantly the least expensive.
                Are you sure it is leaded? Or do you mean non-ethanol?
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Yesterday, while out playing on the road (sorry to you guys still working for a living). I drove by a gas station on the outskirts of a small town with the price of $2.02. About two miles further, at the main intersection of traffic activity, it was $2.05. Five miles further, at another small town with greater traffic, I filled up at $2.08. It is a station with newer tanks & pumps I expect (trust?) to be potentially cleaner.

Forty miles further, at Brevard, NC, the price seemed to average about thirty cents more per gallon. It seems that for decades now, N.C. gas prices have been that much higher than S.C. prices. Even after the robber barons in our state capitol raised our gas taxes. For that reason, I always try to make sure I have enough gas to survive an excursion into N.C. without having to buy any there.

I have zero knowledge of the financial pressures of the petroleum industry, but they seem to be about a volatile as any commodity traded on the stock exchange. High volume with low (net) profit margins create great anxiety, and the teeter-totter between Profit/loss is fragile. Way back in the early 1980's, I was selling industrial tooling when inflation was so rampant, that there were some items I couldn't even price without calling to confirm "current" market. Industrial diamonds were that volatile, and anything containing silver (electrical fuses) & other precious metals.

Regarding gas, less than four weeks ago, around here, regular gas had crept up to $2.45 per gallon. It's important to note that retailers have to price their current supply, not just to consider what they paid for what's in the tank...but what it will cost them when the truck has to return to refill. As much as we try to suppress politics on this forum, gas prices cannot be separated from the fear of its affects. One rumor of upheaval and the markets react. Same with weather circumstances that could cause supply disruptions.

My observation is that currently, while the movers & shakers in the industry try to use excuses to artificially raise prices, the market simply will not allow them to sustain it. I'm still mad 'cause gas went to thirty two cents per gallon (1971).
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post

Are you sure it is leaded? Or do you mean non-ethanol?
                    Any non ethanol I've seen is priced as Premium. Any "regular" I've seen is non leaded with ethanol...thus "regular".

Comment

And in some ways it is no better for the electric car driver here in California. With Edison being blamed for the slew of wildfires in recent years they are threatening to turn off the power when the wind blows. Not only will it be off when the wind blows, but off until they have time to inspect for damage. Some time tables say 7+ days.
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by dleroux View Post
                        We discuss this every time there is a gas increase but it comes down to getting the ethanol out of gas. Non ethanol gas here in the Puget Sound area is going for ~ $4.50 a gallon. Regular crap gas / ethanol laced is now going for $3.39 a gallon. Improve mileage, improve emissions, less impact on the environment, just remove the ethanol, but wait, Archer, Daniels, Midland and Iowa farmers are standing between making an intelligent decision vs. continuing this ridiculous charade. Unfortunately the American mindset has equated ethanol = good vs the destruction on the environment, equipment, and the consumer's pocketbook.
                        Almost no, "real gas" to be found here in the Heartland, so my Studes have learned to accept whatever is at the pump, which is ethanol laced 99 percent of the time. But it is far more than just a gasoline issue. Since the 70s, our government has been subsidizing corn, wheat and soy, and employs scientists and propagandists to figure out what to do with it all. In addition to exporting it all over the world, here at home they put it in our gas and tell us it won't hurt our cars, and is good for the ozone. They also put it into 99 percent of processed foods and tell us it's good for our health. But our cars get 10-20 percent less MPG, and we are getting sicker and sicker, with "metabolic syndrome" related illnesses forecast to be the largest medical costs by 2022.

Around the globe, due to adopting the Standard American Diet (SAD) other nations are experiencing an explosion of metabolic syndrome related illnesses. Till maybe 20 years ago, the only overweight Asians I saw were those who had lived in USA for decades, never saw an overweight Asian in Asia. Nowadays, Tokyo, Manila and other major Asian cities have booming businesses in gastric bypass, and other surgical interventions for obesity. Don't get me started. LOL
                        Last edited by JoeHall; 10-09-2019, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Gas prices are so phony, and it's because of all these grocery store 'loyalty' cards. I actually got a full $1 PER GALLON off last time I gassed up. I did see a disclaimer that said 20 Gallon max. allowed.

Comment

$2.19 in Austin, Tx today...

...and the price of crude oil took another dump today!

Comment

It's been consistently $2.33.9 at Costco for about a month here in CT.
                              Chip
                              '63 Cruiser
                              '57 Packard wagon
                              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X