Winter arriving "early" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter arriving "early" ?

Looks like there is gonna be a big delta-T and delta-S here by the end of the week.

Uncertain, but could be several inches of snow by Saturday. It will probably not stay but sure to cause some amount of havoc. Its been raining enough as it is all of September so the ground is really soaked. Crops got planted late this spring due to rain/flooding so very little of the fall harvest has started. Heck, the soybeans are still partly green! I know that last year, I was at the farm on Sept 28th and the renter was finishing up the beans. It rained after that so corn was delayed, BUT still better than this year.

In my yard, the trees are still mostly green and not a lot of leaves have fallen. Have not yet had a frost overnight. Some of the neighbors are out this evening mowing even though I doubt their grass is long as last week was overcast/raining/cool. But, they need to grind up what leaves there are in case this snow sticks around a while. Could be one of those falls were no yard work gets completed very well before winter locks in. My plan tomorrow is sneak home from work a but early and mow as well. Tonight I was "storing" one of my cars as probably not any time to do it later.

Jeff in ND

It finally got to some seasonal temps here in Kentucky today.

Last week saw four days in a row with record high temperatures and lack of moisture. Records broken: Hottest day ever in September (97), Hottest day every recorded in October (96), Hottest string of days (five) in a row since the '50s, and September ended with being the driest month ever recorded in Lexington, Ky, since records started back in 1872...

Comment

Weather...who knows...Winter might arrive early for some, but down here, "we ain't even seen Fall yet!" Thank goodness, for the first time in about a month, Saturday's high temperature fell below 90 degrees. I believe it is the first time I dared to mow my crackling dry lawn since August! Even then, I kept the deck high so I only cut the tops off dandelion flowers & seed stalks. I'm not prone to allergies, but it was so dusty dry that I wore a dust mask and stopped a couple of times at my compressor to blow out the mower's intake air filter.

My new motorcycle shed, with its kiln dried lumber rafters, got so hot that I had to cover my motorcycle to keep the rosin bleeding & dripping from one "fat pine" rafter from making a sticky mess of the bike!

The last two days have been such a relief, that this evening I just sat outside and soaked in the sunset...enjoying the moment, free of oppressive heat, while off in the distance, sounds of a neighbors children, creating echos of my childhood play. A pleasant evening indeed!

So, for you folks in North Dakota, bracing for "real winter," a salute to you, and you folks in Houston, Texas, who found yourselves flooded and swimming from your cars to safety...Hang in there...call it weather or climate...it's always changing...I might be a country bumpkin hillbilly...but I think it's seasonal.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Winter may be early here in Yuma, AZ, as high temp in the 70's is forecast in a few days.
        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
        https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
          Winter may be early here in Yuma, AZ, as high temp in the 70's is forecast in a few days.
          I have an extra winter coat I could loan you Tim! Better bundle up.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Woke up to snow here in British Columbia-Way too early! We are at 3300 ft elevation, but still have lots to do before it really hits.
            Bill

Comment

According to the "signs" here in Upstate NY, winter is going to be a BRUISER...

Comment

Some forecasts are saying 6-9 inches and winds sufficient to classify it as a actual blizzard. Cleaned out the gutters on the house and mowed the yard this evening. Made sure nothing laying out that could be a problem if frozen to the ground. Worst case no more yard work gets done this year. I have some flower bulbs that normally get dug up before the ground freezes but there has not been a "killing frost" yet to cause the foliage to die off. Not sure what to do about those....

I remember the "Halloween blizzard" of '91 in Minnesota. Started out as freezing rain turned to snow. A foot of snow over ice and winter locked in so there was no thaw until spring.

Bean fields around here are too wet to get into even if the crop was ripe/dry enough. Corn still green. I don't know if any sugar beets have been done as there are none to see on my commute. If they have, the local roads must be a disaster from mud from the trucks.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                X