Tiger Paw Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger Paw Tires

2 months ago I bought 2 sets of Michelin tires for my 64 Avanti R2 and my 64 Super Hawk R1. These were Tiger Paw white walls. After many attempts and cleaning choices the white walls stayed yellowish and brownish. The local tire store I have used for well over a decade, replaced both sets TWICE. After all the scrubbing of the blue paint around the white walls, the white walls still showed yellow and brown stains. The tire dealer was great, he too called Micheline and was given full credit on the second set too. I ordered a set of Cooper tires; white walls, will see next week what those look like.
    What a damm shame the quality has so deteriorated from Micheline. Those tire were great and really made a difference. Last year and a half ago I got a set for my 63 GT Hawk and they still look beautiful.
    So, pay attention to whom you buy tires from and make sure if you do buy those Tiger Paws tires, they will give you the same service quality I am receiving.
    Mark
    Last edited by showbizkid; 10-04-2019, 08:59 PM.

Mark,
    What cleaner did you use? I've always had good results with Westley's Bleache-White tire cleaner, I've also heard of using SOS pad. Just some suggestions to test.

Comment

I thought tiger paws were uniroyal.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Michelin and Tiger Paw do not go together for me. I thought that Tiger Paws were U S Rubber, UniRoyal or something else. Perhaps I haven't kept up with the combining of tire companies.
        What was the build date on the tires? Were they old stock?
        I, too, have used Westley's Bleache White. I use it sparingly, like at intervals of a year or more.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Michelin owns Uniroyal. build date is recent. I tried 1 sample on each tire 1) Westley's, Brillo pad, & Mr Clean white sponge. Michelin also owns another tire company but I forgot which one

Comment

Westley's Bleche-Wite is highly alkaline! It does a great job. But the way it does that job is by disintegration of the top most surface of your tires. And it has no respect for your paint, mag or aluminum wheels, skin, sinuses, etc. I don't think the folks at Black Magic, who now own Westley's, really have the best interests of your tires in mind.
            Be kind to your ride. Avoid acids and alkalis. Just use warm water, Simple Green and a fine Scotch-Brite pad.
            Then apply a quality dressing, such as Adam's VRT. Your tires will thank you.

https://adamspolishes.com/products/a...-trim-dressing
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

https://www.utires.com/articles/tire...brown-prevent/
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

What's wrong with you Dick?
                I read that entire article and not once did I see anything about white wall tires. LOL.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by mch View Post
                  2 months ago I bought 2 sets of Michelin tires for my 64 Avanti R2 and my 64 Super Hawk R1. These were Tiger Paw white walls. After many attempts and cleaning choices the white walls stayed yellowish and brownish. The local tire store I have used for well over a decade, replaced both sets TWICE. After all the scrubbing of the blue paint around the white walls, the white walls still showed yellow and brown stains. The tire dealer was great, he too called Micheline and was given full credit on the second set too. I ordered a set of Cooper tires; white walls, will see next week what those look like.
                  What a damm shame the quality has so deteriorated from Micheline. Those tire were great and really made a difference. Last year and a half ago I got a set for my 63 GT Hawk and they still look utiful.
                  So, pay attention to whom you buy tires from and make sure if you do buy those Tiger Paws tires, they will give you the same service quality I am receiving.
                  Mark
                  Radial tires are not made of good stuff anymore, in my opinion. The only way I have been able to keep whitewall tires white is to buy Diamond Backs. As I understand it, they vulcanize white rubber onto a high quality tire and install a barrier between the black and the white so the black doesn't bleed through onto the whitewall. Because that bleeding is constant with these new radial whitewall tires and they simply will not come white, even when they are new. At least that has been my experience.
                  And one more thing, you don't see whitewall tires on new cars because of this bleed through problem. Diamond Backs are a little more expensive but, if you want whitewalls, that is what you have to do.
                  don

Comment

I saw an example of a Cooper tire that will have the same size as both sets of tires for both cars. This week Ill install one set on the Super Hawk R1 and give it a month before I order another set for the Avanti R2. I am fortunate that my long term relationship with Crown Tire in NJ stands strong and takes customer service serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                      What's wrong with you Dick?
                      I read that entire article and not once did I see anything about white wall tires. LOL.
                      Any car that looks good with white walls....looks better without them.
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I bought a set of American Classics (Cooper Tire) 215/75X15 radials for my Sky Hawk. The white walls are white and they stayed that way. Coopers are American made. Wesleys has changed their formula and it does not work NEARLY as well as the original. Brillo works wonders on white walls, however, I've never had to use them on the American Classics. I have several gallons of the original Wesleys, which should last me for as long as I'll need.

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                          I bought a set of American Classics (Cooper Tire) 215/75X15 radials for my Sky Hawk. The white walls are white and they stayed that way. Coopers are American made. Wesleys has changed their formula and it does not work NEARLY as well as the original. Brillo works wonders on white walls, however, I've never had to use them on the American Classics. I have several gallons of the original Wesleys, which should last me for as long as I'll need.
                          The Westleys that I have is decades old. Perhaps that is why my results are different than for most using current product.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Michelin bought Goodrich and Uniroyal around 1990 to increase their market share. Michelin being a premium tire is tier 1 , with Goodrich and Uniroyal as tier 2 and tier 3 respectively to catch all markets. Uniroyal is the "economy" brand.

Comment

I use Mister Clean magic eraser on my white walls Hankock on my Olds and Diamond Back on Clipper. I use Comet on Hankock regular detergent on Diamond Backs once I scuffed a Diamond Back a little hard used scotch brite pad to take care of mark. The diamond backs are Cooper tires which cost twice what the narrow white wall Hankocks cost. I have had Michelin Bf Goodrich and Uniroyal all on same car at different time for the money Uniroyal is best for money and mileage Michelin over price living of reputation just my take on tires

Comment

Working...
                              X