• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-17 crash in Connecticut

Not sure of the ID of the plane

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...ional-airport/
    Skip Lackie

Apparently Collings Foundation's Nine-O-Nine; a G model.

Comment

Sorry to hear this. I was just thinking the other day about taking a ride in one of these planes....wondered how likely a crash was.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Just toured this plane a few months ago...
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I flew on it in 2014 when it was at Boeing Field as a 60th birthday present to myself. During the flight they scattered the ashes of a WWII vet while we were out over the Sound. It was memorable, I'm glad I did it, and nothing but condolences to those who perished.
          "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
          R.W. Emerson

Comment

Sorry to hear this news. Within the past year (or so), that very aircraft flew over my home accompanied by two or three other vintage WWII aircraft. I hadn't put it all together until I heard a local talk radio host discussed it while I was out working in my shop this afternoon. I think I might have even posted about seeing the planes here on the forum the day I saw them. (not sure)

Given what we vintage car enthusiasts do, and know how our somewhat primitive machines can surprise us with a sudden failure...it's bad enough when we are faced with a sudden breakdown, sometimes next to a guardrail that does not provide enough room to comfortably pull safely over as people go whizzing by at 80mph! But then, even with their redundant safety systems...these vintage aircraft use much of the same technology.

Tons of late 1930's technology, even with a bit of upgraded avionics, still no guarantee that something won't go wrong at altitude. Sad fact is, when one of these beasts experiences a glitch, pulling over to ponder the problem is not an option. For those of us who never really had to operate these war birds (I was born in 1944), and have mainly experienced them by movies, it is easy to romanticize them and dream of what fun it must have been. But, this incident should serve as a reminder that the business of flying one is as serious as ever.

Prayers for the fatality victim's families and the survivors.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The Collings Foundation was here in New Bedford on Sept. 13, 2017. I thought about flying in the B17 but decided to go whole hog and fly in the TF-51, 2-seat version of the Mustang,. It was a great ride. I did climb through the B17 and took a few photos. It's very sad that so many people were killed and injured on this last flight. The Collings Foundation had a big event scheduled for Oct. 12-13 in Stow, Massachusetts, don't know what will happen to those plans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Collings B17 New bedford 2017.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1804985

Name:	Collings B17 fuselage 2017.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1804986

Name:	Collings B17 cockpit 2017.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1804987

Name:	P51 cockpit-Gary 091317 med.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1804988
              Gary Ash
              Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
              ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
              '48 M5
              '65 Wagonaire Commander
              '63 Wagonaire Standard
              web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I took a flight in Nine-O-Nine and got to co-pilot it. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. My prayers go out for those who lost their lives and who were injured.

Name:	cZemwoB.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1805039

Name:	SZ9sffY.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1805040

Name:	WVBjEO0.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1805041
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I toured a B-17 at Dutchess County Airport. At that time, I worked for a guy who was a WWII POW after his B17 was shot down. They gave him special treatment (as they should).

I believe that engine no. 4 failed. I hope that it was not a Studebaker engine.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X