Country Music by Ken Burns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Country Music by Ken Burns

Have been a fan of Ken Burns since his Civil War series. He has a way of telling a story that no one else seems to be able to do. He has done it again with his series titled "Country Music". Even if you are not a fan of this type of music, it is an interesting story and always hits a cord with its emotion and depth.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/country-music

I am a part time country music fan but his show is top notch, and all the songs on it are top of the heap. The stories of the people are fascinating.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Watching episode 5 currently. I'm taping them so I have time to watch each episode's entire length.

Not a true country music fan but do have favorite artists. Not only enjoyable but puts the history in more perspective than anything previously.

I also now know what the call letters of WSB, WLS & WSM stand for.

Bob

Comment

Several members of my family and a number of friends have been enjoying this series. Not a fan of today's country at all, but I love the history and culture of early country. The first night's broadcast I was pleased to see they didn't skip over "Gid Tanner and His Skillet-Lickers", a seminal group of players in the early days when music was regional. The series has been quite in-depth in my opinion, and will be a classic resource of Americana for future generations and very entertaining for todays viewers. I've also noticed threads on many forums devoted to discussing this series in my daily reading - music forums, hot rodding forums, political blogs, and now here.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

My wife and I are really enjoying this series as well. Surprising how many of the featured artists had really messed up lives. Maybe that is what inspired their art.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

A great Ken Burns series as always , A lot of great stories , Ed

Comment

I saw a Stude in the background of Loretta Lynn’s farm.

Comment

Originally posted by earthtechy View Post
                I saw a Stude in the background of Loretta Lynn’s farm.
                And possibly one in Bakersfield making a right turn in the Buck Owens segment.

Comment

I have not yet viewed some of the earlier episodes, but I have been enjoying the series that covered the 1970s-1990s. I realize not all of my favorite artists can be covered in the series, but I was a bit surprised that I saw no mention of Eddie Rabbitt. He had a large number of hit songs in the late 1970s through the mid 1980s, plus he wrote 'Kentucky Rain' for Elvis Presley which I believe was Elvis' last big hit song.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Saw a Stude pock up in the last episode.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...