Getting oil into a manual tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting oil into a manual tranny

What have you found to be the best way to fill a gearbox while under the car? I bought a cheapie hand pump and it broke the first time I used it. Since then I've just used a hose tube attachment on the end of a gear oil jug and squeezed. I see some motorized ones, but think I'd prefer a hand pump for a slower feed. Thanks!

I use a suction gun , I suck the oil out of the container and push it into the trans , The gun has a flexible hose on it , I have used those pumps also but the suction gun seems neater and easier , Ed

Comment

For filling the rear end, I used an old plastic scoop that comes in the large boxes of laundry detergent. The handle, (at least on the one I used) has a nice 'U' shape to stiffen it which made a natural valley for the gear oil to flow from the scoop and into the transmission opening. The scoop is small enough to get in the space to work with, and the handle on it is long enough to reach into the filler port without spilling.

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 09-25-2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

A large animal syringe with a short piece of tubing. The syringe is available at your friendly local farm supply store. They seal better than the oil pumps.

Comment

Tom, the easiest thing to do is go to a place that sells Marine Supplies. Pennzoil (and maybe others) sell a kit that includes a miniature pump that screws onto the top of 'most any gear lube container, allowing you to pump material "up" into a transmission or differential.

I took a photo of the kit and tried to post it, but the procedure for posting I used a couple of days ago to get the photo of The Stude Tomato's LF wheel off the pavement isn't working today.

I hope this gets fixed sooner or later, because I tried using the exact same procedure from the same camera file. Sorry. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

All great ideas! Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Tom, the easiest thing to do is go to a place that sells Marine Supplies. Pennzoil (and maybe others) sell a kit that includes a miniature pump that screws onto the top of 'most any gear lube container, allowing you to pump material "up" into a transmission or differential.

I took a photo of the kit and tried to post it, but the procedure for posting I used a couple of days ago to get the photo of The Stude Tomato's LF wheel off the pavement isn't working today.

I hope this gets fixed sooner or later, because I tried using the exact same procedure from the same camera file. Sorry. BP
              I have an old, rectangular shaped oil bottle with pump that I've been using for decades. I transfer oil from other bottles into this one for pumping. Works like a charm. If the transmission is an OD, be sure to read the Shop Manual on removing oil plugs, and which one to fill first. Also, of course, be sure the Stude is sitting level.

For the rear end, if the body is jacked up till the tires are nearly off the ground (and rested on jack stands), the differential will drop down low enough to use a regular oil bottle with nipple on the end; put the nipple into the fill plug hole and squeeze the bottle.

Comment

This was a surprise to me on my recent work to change out the output shaft bearings on my 2006 Subaru (5 speed manual). There is a dipstick/fill hole on the trans right behind the bell housing. I just needed to get a funnel with a long flex hose on it so I could reach it between the engine and firewall. Easy.

I have gotten disposable syringes from the vet supply area at the farm store before. Attach a chunk of rubber hose/tubing. Be aware that usually the oil will swell up the rubber seal on the syringe plunger eventually and they will seize up afterwards. But, they work fine for a couple of uses.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I believe 'Menards' retail stores are only located in the central part of the United States, but I recently purchased a metal hand-lever pump there that attaches to the open-top of a 5-gallon bucket. I filled an empty 8-speed Eaton Fuller heavy truck transmission with ease. If I recall correctly, it only cost about $25.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I bought a clear piece of tubing, small enough to go in the fill hole, and was able to run it over the frame and out the right front wheel well on my Avanti. It's a smooth run with no low spots. I had a funnel that was a good fit to the upper end. I fastened the upper end to an inverted bar stool resting atop another stool, leaving the funnel higher than the fender. It worked great. I measured how much it would take to fill the trans, so as to minimize over flow. The tubing holds a lot of fluid that continues to flow into the trans and out the fill hole, otherwise. You want to just barely overfill it. The good stuff is expensive, and messy. Use a drain pan.
                    Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X