Wrote an AMC article for the school newspaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrote an AMC article for the school newspaper

Seeing as how all of you obviously cannot get the print version, just go on ahead and check it out on the Interwebs. If there are any major concerns or historical inaccuracies, please feel free to let me know *entire forum pulls out crates of tomatoes*.

https://vikingfusion.com/2019/09/18/...s-corporation/
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Very nice piece! I think you constructed a very cogent overview of the historical facts behind the demise of AMC. Perhaps the only thing I might have included, as a footnote, would be the continued existence of AM General, the spun-off military division of AMC which continues to build vehicles for military applications in inhospitable areas.

Two thumbs up!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm sure you have a limit on the length but here are some other AMC factoids

Nash then AMC was one of the first to use unibody construction in all their cars well before any of the big three, lighter, stronger and economical to build
      Nash/AMC pioneered the integrated air conditioning system in cars through their partnership with Kleinavator.
      NASH/AMC introduced one of the first mass produced and marketed a then called economy car the Metropolitan what today might be called a "subcompact"
      Introduced one of the first post war 2 seat sports cars the Nash Healy
      First to offer air conditioning as a standard option 1969?
      Pioneered the forerunner to the SUV with the 4 wheel drive Concord

It was the independents like AMC and Studebaker that survived through innovation and being different. Look at the introduction of the Lark and Rambler series both big sellers when first released as the big three did not have a so called economy car.

Comment

When Nash merged with Hudson in early 1954 George Masson was head of AMC until his death in October 1954. Then George Romney was named to head AMC.

John S.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBird View Post
          Kleinavator
          I think you meant "Kelvinator"! (Mr. Kleinavator was my Jr. High phys. ed. teacher )

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Georges Besse was killed by members of Action Directe (not Directed). Don't want to nitpick but thought you'd like to know.
            Nice weekend to all.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
              Georges Besse was killed by members of Action Directe (not Directed). Don't want to nitpick but thought you'd like to know.
              Nice weekend to all.
              I'm aware of that. Unfortunately, the editors in the school newspaper thought that "Directe" was a spelling error.
              Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

When Hudson and Nash merged in 1954 Hudson had a debt of nearly $30 million dollars. From January 1 1954 through April 30 1954 Hudson lost $6.2 million dollars. In 1954 in the United States auto production was down 10.1 percent compared to 1953. Only Ford, Buick, Oldsmobile and Cadillac in 1954 surpassed their 1953 production totals.

John S.

Comment

In 1954 it cost AMC $11 millions dollars to liquidate contracts of 150 parts suppliers concerning the stoppage of production of the Hudson Jet.

John S.

Comment

Working...
                  X