Spark knock on my 302 ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark knock on my 302 ford

I know this is a Studebaker site I have four of them. My first car was a 47 ford coupe that I turn into a streetrod. I used a 1976 Ford 302,compresson ratio 8 to 1, removed the EGR valve, installed a four barrel carb. Now i have spark knock even with acctane booster. This engine had electronic distributer, Can someone give me some advise(useable).

OK-not enough coolant in system creating hot cylinder heads inducing spark knock

Distributor advance not correct for motor..IE.. too fast advance rate coming in too soo

Late inital timing (results in a motor running hot,inducing spark knock and soggy accleration,lousy gas milage and high exhaust temps.

Carb too lean causing high combustion temps inducing spark knock.

Big vacuum leak causing lean conditions

This is all a SWAG without more information on carb selection,distributor used,what they were originally supposed to be used on verses what your motor actually is,getting of carb..etc.

Comment

this might help...

http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-expe...ark-knock.html

and this...

http://forums.mustangmonthly.com/70/...ock/index.html

Brad

Comment

Most likely because the egr is removed. You probably won't get rid of the spark knock until you change or modify the distributor.

Dwain G.

Comment

If this is the series of Fords with the vacuum advance that has both a vacuum advance, and a vacuum retard together, than that has to be redone to have any effect on the performance of the engine.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Most likely because the egr is removed. You probably won't get rid of the spark knock until you change or modify the distributor.

Dwain G.

Comment

did you change the intake manifold? the later 302 have a rear coolant passage way if you install a early 4 barrel intake they do not have this passage way which will cause temps to sky rocket.

Comment

All the ideas are good ones and you may solve you
                problem. Try steam cleaning your pistons!!! No-I
                am not crazy. This was a common thing on 289-302
                engines. Carbon build up. Get your engine warmed
                up and get at about 2500-3000 rpm and gradually
                pour cold water in the carb. Enough to slow but
                not stall. Worked for many Ford dealerships.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Get a distributor with a single line vacuum advance and adjust accordingly. Clean the carbon from the top of the pistons. Drive it like you stole it!!

Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC
                  Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                  1958 Commander "Christine"
                  1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                  1955 Commander Sedan
                  1964 Champ
                  1960 Lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Flashback

All the ideas are good ones and you may solve you
                    problem. Try steam cleaning your pistons!!! No-I
                    am not crazy. This was a common thing on 289-302
                    engines. Carbon build up. Get your engine warmed
                    up and get at about 2500-3000 rpm and gradually
                    pour cold water in the carb. Enough to slow but
                    not stall. Worked for many Ford dealerships.

Tex E. Grier

Follow that with a good hot hiway run to blow any loosened carbon through.Dont be afraid to get it up into the higher RPM's for short bursts. Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

ha 302 ford,when you installed the 4 barrel intake did it have the rear cross over? because the mid 70-the last 302 the heads and intakes were changed . they all have an additions water passage in the rear of the intake and the heads are cast into them. also using the water down the carb works just do not let the rpm drop by more than a few hundred rpm or you might be doing a valve job or a total rebuild. the engine starts to bog back off on the water and wait until you can get the engine back up to 3500 or 4000 rpm. the steam removes pieces of carbon from the intake valve area and runners so if your rpm are low the carbon will get between the valve and seat and bend the valve so keep the rpm up at all times aand you should have no problems.

Comment

1968-1974 heads and intakes are the same the 1975 up are different they will phy. fit but really work to well. if you put a 1968 intake or aftermarket intake made for 1968 on a 1975 and up it will fit and bolt up but you will run into cooling problems which can cause pinging,the rear cylinders are not getting enought cooling because there is no passageway to go from one side to another. if you want the right 4-barrel intake for the your engine use the intake and card off of a 1983-85 mustang gt.

Comment

Working...
                        X