• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Day at the Office

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Man that is a horrible sight.Hope the deputy survives it. Was this during a pursuit Dave or what happened?
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Hope the deputy was OK.

The cruiser appears to be a 92. Are these old photos, or do you just use your cars longer there?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

I did police towing for 9 years, and never got over the disturbing feeling of working a PI accident. I helped out and did whatever was necessary, but sometimes slept with the lights on afterward[V]

I'll keep a good thought about the deputy. Let us know how he makes out.

As to the car, around here they tend to retire and sell them at about 4-5 years old; unmarked cars longer. That would make the average maybe 150K miles when they're sold. The cars are usually assigned to the deputy, but they are shared when cars are out of service.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

The deputy's cars get replaced here at just over 100K, usually about two to three years old. I hope that the deputy had his belts on and survives this okay. In NY, police, taxi & livery drivers are not required by law to wear belts. When I drove livery, I always wore my belt and I have noticed more young police officers wearing belts (more male than female officers with belts for some reason).

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

As a senior LE administrator, these things are about the worst. However, as long as the member is OK, (and hopefully he is!) the equipment can be replaced.

At least in my dept. we lease vehicles so they are never more than 7 years old. [^] Only thing is that when you wreck one, it takes 4 months to replace it.

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Now, why didn't I know that, Mark? What kind of agency?

IDAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
              I am the Chief Conservation Officer for British Columbia, the simple explanation is that we are an agency with a mandate covering LE for fisheries, wildlife, pollution (air, water and land), pecticides, water (quality and allocation) as well as most other natural resources in the province as well as public safety (wildlife conflicts, boating, atv's, etc. Rarely a boring day for my staff!

Our vehicles are only slightly better equipped for "bush work".

If you are interested, more info is available here:
              http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander
              Zone Coordinator
              Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Oh I know who you guys are Mark!! Around here if you are without fish or hunting license, these are the last guys you wanna see pulling up! [}] The guys here are referred to the IDNR or Illinois Dept of Natural Resources. They do about the same things, and yeah, they got pickups equipped for the back 40. [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Interesting and informative web site, Mark. Neat career field!

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
                  Thanks Dave... I have to say it was "neater" when I was actually in the field doing the "real" work, most days now it's budget stuff, HR issues, dealing with complaints and supplying information to those above me in the food chain. [B)]

The good part is steering the ship in the direction we need to go for long term viability. [^] If you ever get up this way, I'll be happy to show you some "country".

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar Deluxe
                  Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Dave, I'll keep checking back in case you have an update about the Deputy's condition. Hope he's out of the woods, no pun intended.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Whew... thankfully it doesn't sound life-threatening...

Obviously I don't know him, but for some reason this story was on my mind... kind of brought back some memories...

Good thing it was that big tank of a car. And it hit on the right side.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Man you ossifers and yer acronyms are unbelievable, might as well be talk'in FRENCH!

LE/EM Officer/HR/S.O./PI/LEDT what the????????? [?] I kinda got that Bams mean't Dead as in Fatal Injury by PI, but couldn't figure out how!

The only one I figgered out is OHP= OK Highway Patrol...I think! And HR is is pretty commonly known as Human Resources, unless in Police work it isn't !

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Man you ossifers and yer acronyms are unbelievable, might as well be talk'in FRENCH!

LE/EM Officer/HR/S.O./PI/LEDT what the????????? [?] I kinda got that Bams mean't Dead as in Fatal Injury by PI, but couldn't figure out how!

The only one I figgered out is OHP= OK Highway Patrol...I think! And HR is is pretty commonly known as Human Resources, unless in Police work it isn't !

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          No worries Rich... I can sell you a dictionary if you like! [}]

LE = law enforcement
                          HR = human resources
                          etc...

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                          </h5>
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander
                          Zone Coordinator
                          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Rich- PI= Personal Injury

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

LE/EM Officer/HR/S.O./PI/LEDT what the????????? [?]
                              StudeRich
                              I don't see an acronym among the lot &lt;G&gt;.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X