Favorite Byways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Byways

I have put quite a few miles on my previous Hawk and hope to do the same with my current Wagonaire. In our Hawk we drove from Vancouver Island to Maine and South to New Orleans, off to Charlotte NC and a couple of times to South Bend. These tours were primarily done on secondary highways, rarely going on interstates. We have found many exceptional routes, our favorite was The Natchez Trace Parkway, going from Nashville, Tn. to Natchez, Mississippi.
    As I am always looking ahead, and am now planing our route for the 2010 Show in Arizona.
    My question is simply, what are your favorite highways to cruise?
    And which highways to avoid, at all costs.

WP FOY, Ontario
    1964 Wagonaire Slider
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Blue Valley parkway in the east is one of my favorites. 2nd to the Great Smokey Mountains, trips along the mighty Mississippi River. Ya now, with a little work you could work your way along Route 66 to Phoenix, much of the road is still there in Missouri, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona .you just have to find it, plenty of info on the internet.

Chop Stu
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

in the midwest the great river road is a nice drive in the fall when the leaves turn

27 commander 47 M5 50 2dr 51 conv. 50 starlite 37 coupe express

Comment

The MO & KS section of US 54 (Chicago to El Paso).

Dwain G.

Comment

US 62 across northern Arkansas is a blast! When Ginger and I first got married, we had a '99 Ford Contour (horrible quality, but a lot of fun to drive) and used to travel that road a lot because she has family in Arkansas. It's one of the most beautiful roads in the Ozarks, has a lot of hills and winding sections, and if you feel a spiritual need coming on, just west of Eureka Springs, there is the Thorncrown Chapel which was designed by the late and famed architect E. Fay Jones. It is all glass and native timber, and is exceedingly beautiful. Look it up on Wikipedia, but I assure you, pictures don't do it justice. You've GOT to see it in person.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
          Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

I have always liked the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and North Carolina.

Below is a picture of the 61 Lark we used to own on the Parkway

And here is an old post card from the Blue Ridge Parkway with a couple of Studebakers in it.

Leonard Shepherd
            http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I have posted this before, but the Blue Ridge Parkway has this picture of a Packard on their homepage.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

I have driven the Natchez Trace several times when I lived in Tupelo. Had a 45MPH speed limit at the time (as does the Blue Ridge Parkway if I remember correctly). The Skyline Drive (north of the Parkway) has a 35 MPH speed limit.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
              Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

1. California 1 from Monterey to San Simeon through Big Sur. The best!

2. North Cascades Pass (Highway 20) from Sedro Wooleley to Omak in Washington State.

3. Tioga Pass through Yosemite to Lee Vining (9,941 feet!)

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Being an East Coaster I like old US1. I live about 6 miles from it. and have traveled it from Miami to Baltimore. Being a southerner,that's about as far north as I care to go.

Neil Thornton
                  Hazlehurst, GA
                  '57 Silver Hawk
                  '56 Sky Hawk
                  '51 2R16 dump truck
                  Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

The Blue Ridge Parkway is nice our Chapter did a tour there once that got detoured off of the Parkway because parts of hte road washed out during the hurricane/tropical storm that hit the area while we were there.

There are still many old U.S. highways that criss cross the country. US29 is one that, I believe still goes from coast to coast.

I'm going to take US 13 from my home in Fayetteville, NC to Dover, DE. on my way to Lancaster in September. My brother lives in Dover and I'll head north to Lancaster from there. I hope not to have to do any interstate driving. (This may be difficult around the Norfolk area.)

Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser

Comment

The late Charles Kuralt's favorite byway was Highway 2 here in Nebraska. It is about 400 miles long from scenic Nebraska City northwest through the Nebraska Sandhills to Alliance. Highway 2 wanders through some of the least populated areas of the U.S. If you meet another car it startles you.

Studedude1961
                      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

After about a dozen trips up and down Interstate 5 between LA and Seattle I was looking for a 'new' Route. US 395 from Victorville, CA to where ever it was I got off of it in Oregon somewhere was a fun trip. You see a little bit of everything on that road.

Interstates are for the birds. See what there is to see~ out on the backroads!!!

StudeDave [8D]
                        V/P San Diego County SDC
                        San Diego, Ca

www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                        '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                        '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                        '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
                        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

edited for spelling... [V]
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I've done Rte 61 from New Orleans to Memphis, The Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive Combo, and Rte 3 through the Adirondack in NY. Another favorite was Rte 7 from northern Ohio all the way down to Huntington WV.
                          All great tours, it does take more time but the views and the memories surpass any time savings.
                          Does anyone have the scoop on Rte 60 in New Mexico and Arizona?
                          Bill Foy
                          1000 Islands, Ontario
                          1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

You might want to try to find a copy of the book "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. He traveled much of the US on back roads (show in blue on maps). It is a pretty neat read, but is fairly old now (70s).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                            Museum R-4 engine
                            1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                            1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k

You might want to try to find a copy of the book "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. He traveled much of the US on back roads (show in blue on maps). It is a pretty neat read, but is fairly old now (70s).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                              Museum R-4 engine
                              1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                              1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                              Paul you are right, that is a great book. It has been a while since I read it, but think of it every time I look at a road map.

Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X