Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drive your cars. It impresses kids like me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive your cars. It impresses kids like me.

quote: Perhaps Leonard can whip you one up proclaiming you the world's foremost Studebaker lover.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"
    Bob Bourke has already proclaimed me as one of the GREATEST ENTHUSIASTS, but I will try to make something up for Matthew as the FOREMOST STUDEBAKER LOVER.

I SEE THE FORUM IS STILL GETTING THE TIME ZONES MIXED UP!

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Drive your cars. It impresses kids like me.

I was ridin' through town today and saw two beautiful Rolls Royces parked in the Hardee's parking lot. One was a late teens or early 20's touring car, with a stunning red paint job and an immaculate restoration. Just beautiful! Had a permanent Florida collector plate. The other was a late 20's or early 30's 4 door, maybe a limo. Mostly just white and rather plain, but beautiful it was. Had a Thomas county GA plate. Both were just perfect looking. I had to stop and turn around and go back to look them over closer. And what really impresses me the most about it, is that they are ON THE ROAD! Perfect Concourse cars that they are, and they are being driven. I have no clue as to where they were from or where they were headed, but I guarantee that whoever was doing the driving was having a BLAST!

Required Studebaker content: I was driving the Orange truck. [)]

And no matter how old, rare, valuable, or perfect your Stude may be; drive it anyways! It's good to see 'em on the road. [^]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

One benefit of being in the working world is that you can leave a business card behind. Come to think of it, that would have been a great idea for a birthday present for you. Perhaps Leonard can whip you one up proclaiming you the world's foremost Studebaker lover.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I keep my camera in my truck and when I see something interesting, I get a shot of it. These are some cars I have seen around Richmond.

Couple shopping in a Renault 2CV.

A guy driving a Lincoln Continental on Broad Street. He waved after he saw me taking his picture!

A 55 Chevy at a stop light.

A 58 Plymouth in the Lowes parking lot.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Great letter, Lenny! [^] Gotta love things like that.

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

[}] Wow, Leonard: That '58 Plymouth Belvedere 2-door Club Sedan is almost the lowest-production 1958 Plymouth. I knew it was rare, so I just looked it up in The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975.

Of all the 1958 Plymouth models built, only the Savoy 3-passenger Business Coupe (1,472 units) was lower-production than the one you photographed, of which they built 4,229 units. They even made more Belvedere convertibles (9,941) and sub-series Fury hardtops (5,303) than they did Belvedere Club Sedans![:0]

Amazing that you would have chanced onto such a rare car still in service. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote: Wow, Leonard: That '58 Plymouth Belvedere 2-door Club Sedan is almost the lowest-production 1958 Plymouth. I knew it was rare, so I just looked it up in The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975.
              Leave it up to you Bob to run the numbers! I remember that all of those 57-58 Plymouth 2 doors were seldom seen.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Don't tell THEM that!! They might be offeded if you called their Citroen a Renault![:0]

Craig

Comment

quoteon't tell THEM that!! They might be offeded if you called their Citroen a Renault!

Craig
                  OOPS ! [B)] I guess I failed French!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Someday I'll own a Deaux Cheveaux; there was one at Spring Carlisle last year that I eyed carefully[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

I didn't get a picture of it, but I recently saw a gentleman (evidently from Wisconsin, according to the plates) in a 2CV here in Owensboro. Now, don't get me wrong, they're the kind of car that's so ugly it's cute, but would YOU really want to drive one from Wisconsin to Kentucky? (And, judging from the mid-winter road grit, it seems he did exactly that.) I can't imagine keeping that teensy twin-cylinder revving at the kind of speeds that it would require to run with traffic, especially if he came down US 41 through Indiana!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
                      Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

Comment

I have got to slow down reading all these post's[:0]...
                        As I scrolled down on Leneoard's post here....

I read it as "Garden Accidents"..then "Birdbaths"
                        My mind said "Yep, that makes sense with that thing", and I went on.
                        When I scrolled back up I caught my mistake...
                        (But I liked the incorrect interpretation better)
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by lstude

I keep my camera in my truck and when I see something interesting, I get a shot of it. These are some cars I have seen around Richmond.
                        <snip>
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:I read it as "Garden Accidents"..then "Birdbaths"
                          My mind said "Yep, that makes sense with that thing", and I went on.
                          When I scrolled back up I caught my mistake...
                          (But I liked the incorrect interpretation better)
                          Jeff
                          Well at least it is YELLOW!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnewkirk77

I didn't get a picture of it, but I recently saw a gentleman (evidently from Wisconsin, according to the plates) in a 2CV here in Owensboro. Now, don't get me wrong, they're the kind of car that's so ugly it's cute, but would YOU really want to drive one from Wisconsin to Kentucky? (And, judging from the mid-winter road grit, it seems he did exactly that.) I can't imagine keeping that teensy twin-cylinder revving at the kind of speeds that it would require to run with traffic, especially if he came down US 41 through Indiana!
                            Stuck in my feeble memory that some years ago a couple French men drove a 2CV from the southern tip of South America to Alaska. I had it a little bit wrong. They drove over much of Africa, South America, North America and Asia in one two-year trip- 100,000 kilometers. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C...CV#Expeditions

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                            Museum R-4 engine
                            1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                            1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Back on topic:

Matthew, you're so right! Just have to share this non-Stude experience:

I was driving my red with white leather 65 Linc. conv. last summer, top down. I had to go into Syracuse, into a rough area on the South side. As I was stopped waiting (I admit, semi-nervously) for a construction site, this young guy, probably late teens, comes up the side street with a couple of his, as he said, "homies". Picture the whole package- droopy pants, untied workboots, hoodie, bandana with black hat cocked to the side... He turns and sees the car, claps his hands to his head, and loudly shouts, "OH, SNAP!!" Then proceeds to go nuts over it- "daaaaaang, that is TIGHT!", and comes right over and says, "Man, why you ain't rolling dubs on that whip, man??" Now, having teens around, I figured out he meant 20-inch wheels, so I said, "Nah, I'm too old to get away with that, you young guys get to do that." That cracked him up and sent him shaking hands with his buddies. Traffic was getting ready to move, so he said, "Dope whip yo", gave me this 3-part handshake, and I was off.

It confirmed something I already knew: A car person's a car person; age, gender, color, or income level doesn't matter; if it's in you, it's in you!![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Working...
                              X