Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Laugh: Bears vs Packers rivalry

https://nam04.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Great video. I was born and raised 40 miles north of Chicago in Waukegan and have been a huge Bears fan all my life. My all time favorite NFL player is Walter Payton. Go Bears!!!
    1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Well, I was born and raised outside Milwaukee! I have a Superbowl ring (being a shareholder) and I remember the dynasty of the Lombardi era, along with the too many to count playoff seasons and Superbowls. My all time guy was Ray Nitschke, though Walter was a pretty good player too. GO PACK GO!!!!!

Comment

In later years when Ray Nitschke was interviewed he said what he liked about Vince Lombardi is that he treated all of his players equally. "He hated everyone of us."
        "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
        R.W. Emerson

Comment

Actually I believe it was Forrest Gregg that said Lombardi treated all the players equally, like dogs. No one ever said Lombardi hated anyone. By the way I was pleasantly surprised at last nights performance, though I believe Chicago will be at the top in the division come January. Time will tell.

Comment

I found several references that credit Henry Jordan for the quote “Lombardi treated us all the same, like dogs.” Nothing crediting Forrest Gregg or Ray Nitschke or anyone else.

Here are a few...

http://jimcanterucci.com/lombardis-s...yone-uniquely/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ts-on-nfl-icon

https://www.packers.com/news/packers...egg-dies-at-85

I grew up in central Wisconsin and was a big Packer fan. I just tested myself and I can still name most of the offense and defense starters of the early 60's team. (but what is the birthday again of my wife of 51 years? )

Glad to see the Packers off to a good start.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I thought about that quote for quite a while after crediting Forrest Gregg and remembered that it was indeed Henry Jordan that made it. Sorry for the misinformation. I now have Lombardi's Run to Daylight that my dad got him to autograph for my brother that was in the Navy. My brother took that book to almost all of the "Lombardi Opens" at our local golf course (Bart Starr started it as a cancer research charity) and got autographs from players of that era and forward. My brother passed away last year and the book is now my treasure.

Comment

I remember when Lombardi left the packers and became coach of the Washington Redskins. His replacement in Green Bay was Phil Bengston. I saw an interview with one of the Packer players (unfortunately I can't remember who). He was asked the difference between playing for Bengston and for Lombardi...his reply was "Coach Bengston is the kind of coach you'd give your left arm for. Coach Lombardi is the kind of coach who'd take it from you."
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
                  I now have Lombardi's Run to Daylight that my dad got him to autograph for my brother that was in the Navy. My brother took that book to almost all of the "Lombardi Opens" at our local golf course (Bart Starr started it as a cancer research charity) and got autographs from players of that era and forward. My brother passed away last year and the book is now my treasure.
                  A treasure for sure!
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Outstanding video. Lots of chuckles and how 'bout that toss of Marybeth? I find myself always rooting for the underdogs. The Bears.

Comment

But the Bears weren't the underdogs this time!

Comment

Working...
                      X