A car that rivals the '53-'54 Studebaker Starliners in beauty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A car that rivals the '53-'54 Studebaker Starliners in beauty

Today's "Gear Head Tuesday" post is about the Ghia-bodied Jaguar XK120 Supersonic, a car that (IMO) rivals the '53-'54 Studebaker Starliners in beauty:

Nice looking car. Not quite as nice as a stock 53-54 K body Studebaker, IMO.

I don't get the appeal of those huge racing numbers on vintage cars that one time or another have been raced.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I agree. However, it is a bit more over the top with the jet styling. I think the Studebaker was a bit more subtle and timeless. It also had more room inside which was important in the '50s with so many growing post war families. That being said, I would have certainly been attracted to the Jaguar.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I'd take the jag but to me it does not rival the Starliner. There really is nothing to compare with it.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

That jag was a basically a show car or a one or two off. Probably cost twice what a new jag did in period... or more.

Comment

Ghia also built an 8V Supersonic for Fiat which is very similar in appearance: http://www.carstyling.ru/en/car/1953...ersonic_coupe/

Alfa Romeo and Chrysler had similar designs by Ghia as well from that era.

Craig
            Last edited by 8E45E; 08-25-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Craig, indeed. I see more than a passing resemblance between the Fiat and the Jaguar. Very interesting.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

A striking design? Yes. But as beautiful as the '53-'54 Bourke coupes? Absolutely not.
                ~Matt Connor
                '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

IMHO Jag did much better in 1961.

Comment

I agree with most everyone else. Nice,, but no cigar, when it's compared to the 53 C/K . I know you said starliner. I like it , but, I prefer the coupe.

Comment

Neat car which is very striking, thanks for posting. I had forgotten about this marque and due to dollar constraints, I'll have to stay with my Studes.(no regrets).
                      Bill

Comment

The dozens of Ghia designs of that era, mostly for Maserati, are similar. For 1954, it is exceptionally nice. It would look right at home at any prestigious concours.

One of the most important considerations of that design is how it may have influenced the development of the iconic E-type, which I can see in some proportions.
                        Andy
                        62 GT

Comment

Those Studebakers were beautiful, but, compared to the E-Type, I don't think so-

And the E-type would touch 150 mph.

Comment

Although it was in an entirely different class as a two seat sports car it is very good looking. I'd have to declare them both outstanding. Tied and both in first in their categories.

Comment

The Jaguar that is the subject of this thread is gorgeous, in my opinion. As someone else said the '53-5 Studebaker coupes and hardtops and this Jag and the later E-type are entirely different in their intent. If I had to choose I would choose this version of the Jag 120 Supersonic. I especially love the front and side views of that car.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X