Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hemmings ranks best and worst states to own a classic car in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemmings ranks best and worst states to own a classic car in...

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...5kvkk3EcHi2MUA

MN is #1 and KY is #2. CA is #49 and MA is #50. Where is your state?
    1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Arizona and Nevada are both ranked 15th. Sadly, most cars leave here to go to other states with the tinworm blight.

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

Part of their criteria is state road conditions and weather - and Minnesota still finished first.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
        Part of their criteria is state road conditions and weather - and Minnesota still finished first.
        They should deduct 500 points when a large bridge full of vehicles collapses....
        1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

I have about 5 months of good weather & road conditions to drive my Studebakers. That doesnt seem very friendly to me. On top of that, most of the main highways are due for repaving, but the state cant afford to do that because they wont raise the fuel tax. Happy motoring to all!
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            I have about 5 months of good weather & road conditions to drive my Studebakers. That doesnt seem very friendly to me. On top of that, most of the main highways are due for repaving, but the state cant afford to do that because they wont raise the fuel tax. Happy motoring to all!
            But doesn't MN have some sort of collector plate that you buy just once, not every year like NY?
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              But doesn't MN have some sort of collector plate that you buy just once, not every year like NY?
              You are correct Gary, they are a forever plate. So in that respect, MN is collector car friendly.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

They should be including Canada on their list.

Craig

Comment

The article says CT requires yearly inspections, but they only require one at registration. So add 100 pts. to the total. That would move us to #12.
                  Chip
                  '63 Cruiser
                  '57 Packard wagon
                  '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                  '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                    The article says CT requires yearly inspections, but they only require one at registration. So add 100 pts. to the total. That would move us to #12.
                    An error for NY is that they say title is required for 1972, when in fact, car titles only start with 1973 models. This makes me wonder how many other errors there are in their information.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                      Arizona and Nevada are both ranked 15th. Sadly, most cars leave here to go to other states with the tinworm blight.

Bob Miles
                      Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator
                      Maybe that is what makes those states 15th..., that the cars leave?
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

The article states Maine requires a state inspection with antique plates. AFAIK it doesn't. If it does I am in violation for both my cars, one with antique vanity plates and the other with antique plates running YOM plates.
                        The article doesn't really impress me as far as accuracy.

Comment

I wonder if their rankings are also based on Claims ? Ed

Comment

I noticed that DC wasn't mentioned. While certainly not a state, it does issue historic motor vehicle plates. And more people live in DC than several states. Maybe Hagerty thinks that the only people living in DC are members of Congress.

And although I detected some errors in their descriptions, I have some sympathy for anyone trying to assemble a summary like this. One has to come up with some sort of standardized criteria and scoring system, and such a system will not be able accommodate individual state language that varies from those criteria. For example, several states have a requirement for an INITIAL inspection to verify that the vehicle qualifies for the plates, but them exempts them from subsequent inspections. And statutory language is notoriously opaque, and DMV websites are often difficult to navigate.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

I have about 5 months of good weather & road conditions to drive my Studebakers. That doesnt seem very friendly to me.
                              Right, I don't get how they claim 7mo of good weather for MN and 8mo ! for N Dakota. At least here on the ND/MN border, you get about mid April to Mid October or ~6mo with out any lasting snow/ice in a good year. Chance of wet/salty roads from freezing rain or flurries typically will shave that down to 5mo. If your classic doesn't have a heater/defroster in it, that could get down to 4-1/2mo.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                              X