The New C8 Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New C8 Corvette

I watched the introduction and other programs today about the new Corvette C8. GM and Chevy hit this out of the ball park BIG TIME. Zora Duntov has to be looking down from heaven smiling.

John S.

I'll see what the British magazines, Autocar, EVO, Top Gear, CAR, etc. have to say about it. They usually take an unbiased assessment of Corvettes, especially when they'll compare it to McLarens, Porsches, Audi R8's, etc.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 08-30-2019, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Look what an ex GM Vette guy has to say about it... https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...ted/ar-AAExnYh

Comment

Appreciate this car starts at $59,000 - the price of an upscale pickup truck and it is being compared, Favorably generally, to cars starting at least twice as expensive. Styling is always in the eye of the beholder but let's appreciate what GM has wrought here.

I'm not a GM fan but this car looks great to my eye and it has the performance to hold it's own about anywhere.

I agree, somewhere in fast car heaven, Zora is smiling.

Bob
        Last edited by sweetolbob; 07-19-2019, 07:41 PM.
        , ,

Comment

Zora wanted a mid-engine Vette and now it's here.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

To me the exterior is way TOO BUSY. If most of the creases/lines were eliminated, I believe that it would be a smooth/pleasing design. The interior looks ok except for the row of buttons/controls in the console.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              To me the exterior is way TOO BUSY. .
              I agree (but I'm hoping it is not just the old man in me )

I compare the styling of the C8 to the 1958/59 line up of American cars. In most cases they had way too much going on that didn't tie together. They are loved by some now for their uniqueness. Maybe the same will be true of the "boy racer" cars of today. I'm not a fan.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                To me the exterior is way TOO BUSY. If most of the creases/lines were eliminated, I believe that it would be a smooth/pleasing design. The interior looks ok except for the row of buttons/controls in the console.
                Perhaps a lot of this body contouring is a result of wind tunnel testing. I would rather have a smooth car that has a top speed of 180 MPH rather than a jumble that goes 195 MPH (speeds as examples). I don't believe that I have driven a car over 150 MPH and do not plan on doing it now.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

As far as 'uniqueness', I would've liked to have seen the McLaren X-1 concept in production: https://newatlas.com/mclaren-x1-concept/23766/

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    As far as 'uniqueness', I would've liked to have seen the McLaren X-1 concept in production: https://newatlas.com/mclaren-x1-concept/23766/

Craig
                    I'm sorry but it looks like something that would of come from the design studios at NASH if they were still around.

Comment

I used to think my opinion mattered but the only folks that care anymore about it are the high priced drug folks and the funeral plot sellers. Judy and I have plenty of both so now I like the C8 design but nobody cares.

Bob
                      , ,

Comment

Originally posted by JayBird View Post
                        I'm sorry but it looks like something that would of come from the design studios at NASH if they were still around.
                        That design still works for me!

Craig

Comment

I will render my decision when I see it in person, Ed

Comment

WAY too many bends, folds, creases, indentations, etc...

Comment

The only thing that GM has "hit" in the last 15 to 20 years is a wall. That is not just on the Corvette, but the history of bankruptcy, bailout, weak overall product line, declining market share, discontinued brand lines, and shafting stockholders. Maybe we should ask some of the people that got stuck with the old stock that was replaced with the "new" stock how they feel about the new Corvette. The Corvette has soldered on for years based on the reputation of Zora Arkus Duntov. He was on that did not fit in the cookie mold of GM Executives and blazed an innovative trail the likes of which we will never see again.

Bob Miles
                              Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X