Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any members in the southern CA earthquakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any members in the southern CA earthquakes?

Any of our members / friends affected by the southern California earthquakes? I've been off the board a couple days, involved with The 2019 Concours deElegance at Copshaholm in South Bend.

'Figured there'd be a post or two about that event but don't see anything in the forum's New Posts Dept. ?????? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Any of our members / friends affected by the southern California earthquakes? I've been off the board a couple days, involved with The 2019 Concours deElegance at Copshaholm in South Bend.

'Figured there'd be a post or two about that event but don't see anything in the forum's New Posts Dept. ?????? BP
    That is kind of strange. While the earthquake was in a fairly remote area, the Naval Weapons Center, China Lake is a major player in the defense business and the report of damage is "California Earthquakes Leave Naval Station China Lake ‘Not Mission Capable’". https://news.usni.org/2019/07/09/cal...ission-capable.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I'm about 165 miles mostly south, slightly west of Ridgecrest (Ventura County). We only felt a slight rolling motion. My son who was lying on the couch had to tell me there was an earthquake. While I'm sure people close to the epicenter suffered some damage we had to laugh when news crews shot images of slightly shaking bottles and the newscasters heavily embellish the dialogue as if Mt. St. Helen's had just erupted.

In the greater Los Angeles area you see mostly sloshing pools and swinging lights common to a slow rolling EQ. I have an old, suspended (on one wire) traffic signal and it swayed maybe..., 12 inches. But my house never rattled or creaked or made rumbling sounds like a sharper EQ is known to do (like Northridge). I'd assume most area (Studebaker) people had a similar experience and thought little of it, hence the lack of response.
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
      X