Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting perspective on today's social media.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
    I'd rather spend time with people I know and care about face-to-face. One true friend is worth a hundred or a thousand virtual acquaintances.
    A 'friend' is someone you call to go your bail. A 'true friend' will be sitting beside you, saying "Damn, that was fun!".
    You're not going to find either of those on social media.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

'Finally got around to watching this. Interesting; 'hard to disagree with the presenter's premise.

'Attended the 55th-year reunion of the Paris [IL] High School Class of 1964 two weeks ago. Nice to see so many old friends...and get choked up looking at the photo display board of the 60 Class of '64 members (out of 210) who are now "Forever Young," as the display said, with one small votive candle below the display for each Forever Young person.

To the point of the video posted in this thread, the booklet distributed at the reunion included all the class members with their current contact information, including e-mail addresses. 'Had a good chuckle when I got to one classmate's e-mail address, which was listed as, nodamncomputer@all. I don't know if he has a smartphone, however.

Good link and thoughts, Buzzard; thanks. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob P. - I believe that your high school class is doing about average. At our 55th, or perhaps 60th, we had lost at least one-third (more since then).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

"Phones that are smart, and people are dumb...." Indeed. Today, I was in the left turn lane & coming the other way but stopped in traffic was a guy in a truck using his 'smart phone.' The traffic ahead of him moved out, he didn't move for 16 seconds with another vehicle behind him! Of course down here no one honks for fear of being shot or beat up so, the following vehicle's driver just waited & waited for this dummy to put the phone down and 'drive again.'
          JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Working...
          X