Interesting article on Ford Recycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article on Ford Recycling

Those belly pans nowadays are a PITA when you have to remove them to change oil, but they do contribute to aerodynamics and are a good use of recycled plastic, it would appear:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...20Alert%20Ford

Wow; an average of 250 recycled bottles per new vehicle! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob,
    Interesting, thanks for posting. Particularly for those of us in Canada as we recycle practically everything. It pains us while we winter in Arizona as EVERYTHING just goes in the trash bin. UGH.
    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
      Bob, Interesting, thanks for posting. Particularly for those of us in Canada as we recycle practically everything. It pains us while we winter in Arizona as EVERYTHING just goes in the trash bin. UGH. Bill
      I couldn't agree more, Bill. We pay an extra $4.00 per month to have a separate bin for recycling and throw everything we can into it, avoiding material they tell us to not place there, like ordinary garbage.

A couple weeks ago, my wife and I toured the huge recycling facility that handles what we put in that curbside bin and were astonished at the volume. That facility alone keeps about 140 tons of material per day out of landfills! Boy, those conveyor belts run fast, with a variety of magnets and sorting machinery. Really impressive.

They showed us perhaps 6'X6' foot bales of smashed and cubed aluminum cans, each containing what they said were about 45,000 cans! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Let's give the recycle folks a bit more credit as the Ford use is another in the long line of uses for recycled PET or PETE depending on your preference. PET is probably the most recycled plastic in the world. The recycled PET been used in carpets and other extruded products for decades. There are good reasons for why but short of a primer in plastics processing it's an excellent reprocess-able material good in many applications.

But good for Ford, IAC.

Bob

Comment

Yes, Bob - good for Ford. The bottom of a car is a great place for a recycled plastic part (as opposed to one made of brand new plastic).

And while recycling any material is good (and not a new idea), what upsets me is all the cities who charge citizens a recycling fee or have a recycling program.... But it all goes in the same landfill, sometimes trucked down to another state and sold to a company who does what they want with it, despite what was told to the citizen who "did his duty" and had expectations of a certain kind.

Yes - my town, Wichita - sells about half our trash (plus the recyclables) to some outfit in Texas. And then the city fathers brag about how "green" their policies are.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

From what I have seen on You Tube China USE to take all the plastic we could give them. And now they have little need. So, as someone already said it might end up in the land fill anyway. As it is how many became Harbor Freight tarps that don't even last a year and then..., we put them in the trash (= local landfill). A long way to China and back for a one time recycle - cycle. If there is a secondary aspect to recycling it seems to keeps the homeless occupied.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
            X