Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    It all depends on OPM....
    We agree! As recently as three years ago I had the greatest indebtedness of my lifetime. I am 85+ and thankful for the life I've had and appreciate each day and am currently debt free. Debt has never bothered me as long as I could support it. Every January I would total debt and assets and the net result tells me how I am doing. Interest is the rent on OPM. I recall in 1965 I was broke and asked the Standard Oil dealer to charge me $5 on my credit card and give me the money. He responded, "I'm not a bank!" Rightfully so. In my opinion debt is a tool and if properly managed can be very useful. My financial adventures are over!

The video and song with Clint Eastwood and Toby Keith is excellent.
    Last edited by Bob Bryant; 03-14-2019, 08:13 AM. Reason: add
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
      In my opinion debt is a tool and if properly managed can be very useful.
      It can have its advantages if its a taxable write-off, and/or its a high-maintenance, expensive product that's continually 'improved' or updated each year. An office photocopier comes to mind, as most are rented or leased.

Craig

Comment

FWIW - The world runs on OPM. Major corporations borrow to build mega buck facilities, small business use it for inventory or expansion, individuals use it to buy homes, send kids to college or buy/lease a car. It's the axis the world turns on, we borrow from China.

Nothing wrong with using OPM if it's done responsibly.

Bob

Comment

China... Here in Europe just about everything is made in China, & if you have a kid & go in to a toystore EVERYTHING actually IS! & all they buy from us is scrap iron to make more shortlived crap for us to buy = cash goes one way...
          I remember in the late 70's a here in north Europe well known Finnish man (that I just don't remember the name of now!) said: "As long as we keep on buying japanese cars, the sooner we won't afford to buy any cars at all!".
          & that was then but it doesn't matter; people refuse to listen to reason...
          sigpic

Josephine
          Champion V8
          4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
            China... Here in Europe just about everything is made in China, & if you have a kid & go in to a toystore EVERYTHING actually IS!
            Toys being made in China is nothing new. Hot Wheels cars have been Made in Hong Kong since they were first issued in 1967.

Craig

Comment

Tick-tock, tick-tock
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Bob Andrews: After reading through some links and threads that Craig (8E4SE) posted and doing some other research there is only conclusion to come to. Your claim of purchasing 32 acers of land and wanting to build a state of the art automotive repair garage and other businesses on the 32 acers has little or mostly no merit. It saddens me deeply to say that. However I do wish you the best of luck.

John S
                Last edited by Packard53; 03-14-2019, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Apparently, this topic has touched many of us here on the forum. And well it should, because it speaks to where we've been in this life's journey, where we are, and where we are going. I wanted to post some pictures of my latest challenge I have been discussing in my previous posts but had to search hard for a pic of the little shed. (It was never anything to be proud of enough to take a purposeful picture.) Finally, I found one where it is in the background. I took it this past summer when the subject of the picture was my Studebaker truck after I had returned from the feed store. So the first picture below will have the little shed in the background.

Next, is the old weathered deteriorated fiber/asphalt impregnated roofing I had to remove. The last pic shows the new metal roof along with the scaffolding and a bunch of other clutter. One is my outdoor incinerator built from an old water heater tank, a salvage lawn tractor, and various other (ahem) treasures. It is very obvious that I could never live in a place where I had to adhere to the rules of any homeowner's association.

Hopefully, this coming week I will recover enough from my shoulder & back pain to clean up this mess and move on to another project. Future plans will involve some long overdue painting.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                  I like your pedal car! Did it come as a pickup or did you make it into one? I have one same brand (looks like) as a fire engine with two little wooden ladders.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                    I like your pedal car! Did it come as a pickup or did you make it into one? I have one same brand (looks like) as a fire engine with two little wooden ladders.
                    Here's the story on my "Pedal Truck"...

I was at the landfill one day with some trash when a lady pulls in with a pick-up full of trash. In the heap, was a little red/rusty peddle car. The poor thing was full of bullet holes and what looked like hammer blows from a sledgehammer. She looked like she thought I was crazy when I asked her if I could have it but gladly gave it to me. I took it home and hung it in my barn for a few years. One day, I got inspired and began to hammer out the dents, sanding the rust, etc. It was a project that grew in scope and direction as I worked.

Originally, I thought of merely restoring the peddle car, but began speculating if I could build it into a caricature of my truck? I cut off the front and the back. I made a heavy plywood template and used a ball pein hammer to form the sheet-metal grille. For the back, I fabricated a "dual-wall" pick-up bed, complete with working tailgate, as an almost exact copy of the Studebaker truck bed. Once I had the bed fabricated, I welded it in place and used a bit of body filler to smooth over my lousy welding.

Amazingly, I found an old paint can from 1978 that held leftover paint from when I repainted the truck years ago. Pried open the old rusty lid to discover that the paint was still good. It is painted with the same paint on the real vehicle.
                    Funny thing about the little peddle truck...folks keep coming up and telling me that they had one exactly like it when they were a kid! When that happens, I usually smile and tell them it's a shame theirs is not still around.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] OH...about the small license plate...Luke is my grandson's name. He got to play with the truck for the couple of weeks (seems like) he was small enough to fit in it. He has now graduated from high school and is contemplating his future.

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      LOL, the trolls are out. Where's Biggsy and Torker? They haven't gotten in yet. Come on guys, glad to help you try to feel better about yourselves!

Yes, I'll get right on posting details here, where you all are so welcoming and supportive XD

Thanks, guys, you really do the club proud.
                      Bob Andrews: When are you going to post pictures and details of how well your shops are doing?

John S.

Comment

Originally posted by Packard53 View Post
                        Bob Andrews: When are you going to post pictures and details of how well your shops are doing?

John S.
                        Why in the name of God would I post that here? Why do you care? What is wrong with your head?
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Then add it to this thread for a 'before & after': http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ve-barn-garage

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            Then add it to this thread for a 'before & after': http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ve-barn-garage

Craig
                            Again, why? Why do you guys that have nothing going for you care? This is the home of some of the smallest, weakest, most petty people anywhere. And they infect the whole forum. Then people wonder why participation and membership continue to fall.

You can nip all you want if it medicates what’s eating you. The rest of us will be out here living life to the fullest, and making things that matter, great again.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob Andrews: I can remember you posting a picture of you used car lot and the two car yellow garage on 10/4/14 location New Haven NY Route 104. You stated that it was constructed back in 1920 and that you plan to restore the garage. You also said that if I have it my way it will be a real jewel in the area. Then on 4/15/15 you stated that some type of car was out of your league and said I have to finish my shop addition. I found two street view pictures of the garage from 2016 and August 2018 it appears in both photos that there was never a addition added to that garage or restoration work done. The August 2018 Google street view of your place on route 104 showed high weeds growing up around some of the used cars for sale. The same can be said about the high weeds around the building. Why would you want buy 32 acers of land when the property you own on Route 104 is list as nearly 27 acers if I am correct according to some quick research I did.

PS: How is the business doing in Fulton?

John S.
                              Last edited by Packard53; 03-30-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Packard53 View Post
                                Bob Andrews: I can remember you posting a picture of you used car lot and the two car yellow garage on 10/4/14 location New Haven NY Route 104. You stated that it was constructed back in 1920 and that you plan to restore the garage. You also said that if I have it my way it will be a real jewel in the area. Then on 4/15/15 you stated that some type of car was out of your league and said I have to finish my shop addition. I found two street view pictures of the garage from 2016 and August 2018 it appears in both photos that there was never a addition added to that garage or restoration work done. The August 2018 Google street view of your place on route 104 showed high weeds growing up around some of the used cars for sale. The same can be said about the high weeds around the building. Why would you want buy 32 acers of land when the property you own on Route 104 is list as nearly 27 acers if I am correct according to some quick research I did.

PS: How is the business doing in Fulton?

John S.
                                And still have not answered, why do you care what I do?

The one thing I will share is that I’m probably going to sell both my houses since I am now living rent free inside your head. It’s a sad, depressing place, but I can’t beat the price
                                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                                X